How do you land?

Hand catch every time except for the first few flights. Just to see it return to home.. I usually, Bring it down to a hover about 6 feet high(I always want the props higher then I am when I hover.. Safety first lol). Approach from the upwind side Grab the landing gear(right hand), Hold the elevator stick down (left hand) until it shuts down. No tip overs or other issues. No near misses.. If the wind blows it blows it away from me.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I manually land most of the time on a board I bring with me, but have done hand catch when it was gusty and also when on a beach.

When I hand catch I hover about 6 feet with the phantom facing away from me. I then reach for the right vertical strut so my thumb is near the power button, I could push it with my thumb if I had to. I don't have a neck strap, so for the controller I have it held against my body on one side and I then I hold down on the throttle. Be careful the sticks don't bump anything....

Most the places i fly have long grass, i can always find a small bare patch to take off from but the chances of some long strands hitting the props on landing are too risky, hand catching is just easy, i just bring it down to just above head height and give the leg a couple of nudges to make sure its stable, then hold a leg firmly and left stick held down.

I like to hand catch to avoid the debris that the blades kick up into the camera. All that small, flying debris may eventually effect my Phantom.

I manually land most of the time on a board I bring with me, but have done hand catch when it was gusty and also when on a beach.

When I hand catch I hover about 6 feet with the phantom facing away from me. I then reach for the right vertical strut so my thumb is near the power button, I could push it with my thumb if I had to. I don't have a neck strap, so for the controller I have it held against my body on one side and I then I hold down on the throttle. Be careful the sticks don't bump anything....
You cut the power with it in the air?

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

The Phantom does not have the most stable landing gear, and as you get close to the ground there is a ground effect caused by prop backwash that makes the craft even more unstable.

As the gimbal is very delicate, even 1 inch long grass interferes with the stabilization,.

Grabbing out of the air is easiest for me to avoid the above.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

After getting a grip of one leg, I assume. That's how I do it when I hand catch.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That is correct, I grab the right strut and only after I have a good grip then I hold the throttle down until the motors stop.

This video was my guide, I grab the strut the same way but have the phantom face the other way, that way my thumb is near the on/off button just in case.

This video was my guide, I grab the strut the same way but have the phantom face the other way, that way my thumb is near the on/off button just in case.

I do it similarly except. I face it away from me. I also make certain the wind is at my back so if there is a gust of wind it blows away from me. I let it hover a few feet away and walk up to it to make the catch. I don't fly it to me. Logically it seems to be the safest way to do it.

Reactions: Trackman1
+1 on the hand catching. When in doubt hand catch. It's a little more challenging when doing it by yourself but you get used to it. Of course its always easier if you have your spotter grab it.

100% Hand Catch. Only been nervous once, in 20+ knot gusty winds, but I just watched it until I was pretty sure I could grab it safely.

I have never hand caught my drone. If you're alone, how do you shut the props down one-handed?

I do always bring along a 2' x 2' piece of plywood as a landing/takeoff pad. I can lay it on grass, dirt, gravel and always have a flat, level surface. If it's not level, I can usually make it so using rocks or sticks from the area. I've had no problem landing inside a 2'x2' square since day one.

Kevin H.

If I have a nice level surface and there is little wind, ill tend to land on the ground, however if its a little windy or uneven surface ill hover and physically "catch" the phantom. Just curious to know if others do this, and do you think its dangerous?
I always hand catch. Never had an issue with that. Unless I want to practice my perfect "landing on a dime" skil.

Hand catch, every time since 2nd flight. Never had a problem, but would think twice if using carbon props

Hand landed mine today, Because of all the snow [emoji300]️ LOL
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453558899.166650.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj