How cold will you fly

24f... too cold for me even flying from inside my car. And winter winds will snatch it from you...

Remember, things fly higher and go faster and cold weather, but being in Florida I won't fly in anything less than 50, but the big thing is Wind, I won't fly in anything more than 18 or so. Use the UAV forecast site to figure out what the wind is at 200 feet, it doesn't matter what it is at ground level, it matters what it is up there…

Today I went for a quick flight to get the sunset. It was about 7 degrees Celsius. I got an alert saying battery was at 15 Celsius and should fly below 25. Despite the warning, I sent her up to 400 ft. After about a minute she said "landing landing landing". I assume it was because of the battery temp. 7 Celsius is only 45 or so Fahrenheit so I didn't think that was very cold.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am up in Flag area, 13 degrees out one morning and about a 10 minute flight before fingers fell off;)
Ha! I don't think I would have made it 1 minute. I'm in Tucson and not a big fan of the cold. Can't say I'm a real big fan of excessive heat but prefer that over being miserably cold. :eek:

When I first got my Phantom 2 I'd fly to -30C in Winnipeg, Canada with no problems. I was living on a farm and would launch from my front steps, sit in my house and fly around the property. I've never had a problem. Recently I did some P2 cold flying in -10C with 2 year old batteries that were not 100% charged and they drained in under a minute, I had to get the P2 down as fast as possible.

Ive flown a few times in -5F. I just made sure the batteries were warm. I flew once in -12f but after a couple minutes I went back inside.

Me getting cold dictates the temperature that I'm prepared to fly in. I've flown in circumstances where there has been deep lying snow but with a very still wind so no wind chill factor. However, I had a fly yesterday using a P2V+ in a measured temperature of 6c and had to cut the second flight short because I got too cold...The difference was that the wind was a bit lively.

Keep in mind, cold can also mean snow on the ground. Crash or land on snow covered terrain and it may be really difficult to spot where a white phantom is sitting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl