Homing Device

Reaction score
I have just joined this forum, so to Hello to all. I don't currently own a quadcopter and don't know if this question has come up before......Lets say you lose your craft, perhaps in a forest; maybe you inadvertently hit a tree or something. Basically it's lost in the woods. How do you find it? Watching youtube it seems some guys have spent hours searching for their quadcopter. Is there, or can there not be a simple homing/locating device fitted to overcome this problem? Or in my limited research have I missed something? Is there in fact sufficient info on the FPV to find a missing craft?

Welcome to the forum krnchippy.

Ideally a two pronged solution.

Part A is to fasten a GPS tracker to the quad. Depending on the model you can query it for a google maps URL via SMS, get it to repeatedly update a website with coordinates whilst it is flying, and also telephone it to hear a ringer when you get within a few metres

Part B is to record the FPV feed (where FPV is used). This can be done using a mini DVR, or using a monitor or goggles which have a DVR built in, or using ad-hoc tecnhiques using a video out feed from the FPV gear. This can be replayed if the **** hits the fan, to give some idea of the area where the quad went down.

There are plenty of devices you can use, I use a TK102B GPS tracker unit, others use others, it depends.

Mine is one that you phone up and it sends a text back with a GPS location and a google map link, as it uses both GPS and 3G its usually quite accurate, I used 3m velcro tape to secure it to the underside of the quad and fitted a cable tie round the leg in case it comes loose.

Tracker

I also use Mobizen on my Samsung phone to record to screen image, that way i can view the video that the quad was showing to assist in searching.

Keep in mind though that a lot of these GPS trackers require you be flying in an area that has cell phone service for them to work, in a lot of the places I fly there isn't cell service, so if you plan on flying in these types of areas, these devices do you absolutely no good, and you're pretty much on your own.

madsonp said:
Keep in mind though that a lot of these GPS trackers require you be flying in an area that has cell phone service for them to work, in a lot of the places I fly there isn't cell service, so if you plan on flying in these types of areas, these devices do you absolutely no good, and you're pretty much on your own.

Absolutely correct. I have just done a quick 400m FPV flight with my P2 (its nippy out there brrrrr) and tested the SMS on the Tracker and all I got back was an LBS URL which was no where near. It's certainly not foolproof.

Hi

the tk 102B tracker uses satellite GPS for its location, therefore even without a decent phone signal it gives an accurate location

crash1sttime said:
Hi

the tk 102B tracker uses satellite GPS for its location, therefore even without a decent phone signal it gives an accurate location

You need GSM/GPRS phone service to query it via SMS.

Larry L said:
Welcome to the forums. What I read & have been told, the Marco Polo pet/rc tracker does not use a SIM card. It is a unit & hand held monitor. It is supposed to be pretty accurate.
http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-trac ... -recovery/

Sorry, but the Marco Polo device is a piece of junk.

I did extensive testing with it back in September and it can't find the broad side of a barn.

Anyone who's thinking of buying this worthless thing has been warned. :eek:

The birds of prey guys use mini 440MHz TXs with directional receivers to find their birds and the same tech works for quads as well. These mini 5g TXs run for about a week and emit a "ping" every few seconds. You point the receiving antenna and this gives you a rough bearing, while the signal strength meter gives you a range. About £600 for a long range system however...

I use the TK102-2 with an o2 sim card, as their 2G coverage is best in the UK IMHO (Their 3G & 4G coverage however is terrible!) I poll the tracker for a test fix before launch and then have it set to ping me every 3 minutes and also in the event of a shock. Seems to work pretty well and good value for £15!

Welcome to the forum!

I'll throw my two cents in! I recommend that you mark or label your bird with your name, phone number and that you will give a reward for its return. That way if it lands in a yard and the person decides to keep it to pawn, he/she might decide to go for the quick, easy and legal route:: Your reward.

Second: Get a GPS tracker. I use a RF-V16 tracker, sold on EBay. It claims to be the world's smallest and it only weighs 29 grams, plus it is packed with a lot of features. It works only with T-Mobile and AT&T, so make sure you have coverage. If you fly where you have no service, the label may save you.

The signal tracker sounds neat. Ham operators have "Fox Hunts" where they search for hidden transmitters, hoping to be the first to find it. Now, it requires a beam (directional) antenna and you need to do a lot of practicing if you use this method. Some structures will block the signal. So, keep all of that in mine.

Glad to have you!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl