Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

Some people just don't have the time or desire to do that themselves, anyway Matts175 needs the $30.

its so easy, you don't need a kit......you can do it for like 8 bucks.....

And some people just absolutely can't solder.

The $30 funds my next mods, without the wife complaining. LOL

Besides, I think that's fair considering this:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    125.8 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
This thread is very informative. I have a few questions though. Instead of having the antennae sticking out the sides of the bird, could you make them so they run between the landing gear and would it work the same? Also, when you add the antennae, do you disconnect the stock ones? If you don't would it be beneficial or hurt the reception at all? And if you don't disconnect he stock ones, can you splice into the wires of the stock ones to just add more surface area for the antennas?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You could try them in that orientation... Couldn't hurt. However, these are omni directional antennas, so the pattern is like a circle.

No, you cannot splice the wires or run two antennas on the same circuit. All kinds of wrong there.

Yes, you completely disconnect the factory ones. I left mine in place inside the bird though.... In case for some reason I ever wanted to return to using them.

Reactions: jimbo3n8
HAHA I know, i don't want to take away from @Matts175 he helped me a lot on this project!! Its just easy, and I enjoy doing easy things like this....

True... about being easy, but I've litera
Message me when you have one ready.

You going to do eBay ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ok. Will do. By Thursday at latest. Even If I just make the one for you.

Yes. I think Ebay would be easiest. That way I don't have to answer PMs at 3:00 am Plus, easier to print out labels and ship.

Reactions: yjander
True... about being easy, but I've litera

Ok. Will do. By Thursday at latest. Even If I just make the one for you.

Yes. I think Ebay would be easiest. That way I don't have to answer PMs at 3:00 am Plus, easier to print out labels and ship.
Message me also when your ready to sell. Thanks--Dave

I got my dipole made up. 1100 feet in residential area, 2200 feet in a rural area near my neighborhood. At least that's where it starts to lose video signal.
How you get 4500 feet?

I may go this route as my RC is stock.
Amazon.com: BlueProton DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi Signal Range Extender Six (6) Antenna Kit w 10dBi 5.8GHz Omni by ARGtek: Camera & Photo

I'm using a DBS / ITELITE. It had a lot more in it too. I just chickened out.

As far as the ARGtek. Skip that one. I had it. You'll see a dozen threads on here where people say that the ARGtek helped them. Then you'll see another dozen where people are saying that it did nothing for them (me). So, the results from that one are very hit and miss. However, you'll NEVER, or it's extremely rare, see a thread on here where someone is complaining about the DBS / ITELITE. That's gotta tell ya somthin'.

Either go for the DBS / ITELITE: ITELITE DBS Range Extender Antenna ITE-DBS01.4 DJI Phantom 3 Standard Brand New!

Or the Alfa mod (which is actually the cheapest of them all, but has amazing results): DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

I may venture into the Apfa mod next.... Hmmmm.

All of the parts for my kits have not arrived yet. Dang you, U.S. Post Office. LOL

Anyways. Here is a teaser. I spent a good amount of time on these. Making sure the measurements were perfect and the solder job was A1.

Again, these are not complete. I REALLY need the heat shrink I ordered to even complete a set. Worse case, I'll go buy some at our local electronics store.
4b82xr-bhXB8eTJTpfnuQqnuPzI4qhSgqDmFFV3-ppQ_8Y1Oo_MKJ2sQL82XL97DZEzSfzFxjzA01Z6Po8Xoq39of6EHjDVVcbmA-AAPO2i5JMwF6L6sIoSGTlIu-i3nhMONFPLXMtrP9yI_nw68L4kW6x6RvX2Z_vaJIgmWVZEMtY-pYjVufDDFEjfNgVWlt5dUza11-_8l72NGR-FBcaZsgshTNC_NlH5h_VBs6yf3RAWhK0ZoMiPtqUAMnLlApPsF4J84ulYJccwla5LQV-IuXp1ADjCzXbJUFKCpT1IjrlZlmiP57q27wuJRCEf6u3_xT1z4HO6OvTvPDQct4mI3efarjBW_gDrPorK5k5jSxytyEl8CruSwLBukx6FETrdfgB_p0sKhdD9D7_gPNMMiE_SBayBL-f-s_OUH3VLCpaFy1Pu5-r1UhZIj1nfE89yl5i8VHiHpGz7pEzpb6sM-m51PEjnvvRs8A-_2Y1MOceveNOKsEUN2Ec3cfXJ6kcO6PffO2bMO5yNdK46jzT5fsNtMMoOJEYOTWwFV-NGzZ_J25ITCEP1vRdOw-VqDiDFkhgV-KGj04ZI_jemqlUvGMp_Kb0Ewefyh6HN4EuMAoTjeyruk=w1659-h933-no

All of the parts for my kits have not arrived yet. Dang you, U.S. Post Office. LOL

Anyways. Here is a teaser. I spent a good amount of time on these. Making sure the measurements were perfect and the solder job was A1.

Again, these are not complete. I REALLY need the heat shrink I ordered to even complete a set. Worse case, I'll go buy some at our local electronics store.
4b82xr-bhXB8eTJTpfnuQqnuPzI4qhSgqDmFFV3-ppQ_8Y1Oo_MKJ2sQL82XL97DZEzSfzFxjzA01Z6Po8Xoq39of6EHjDVVcbmA-AAPO2i5JMwF6L6sIoSGTlIu-i3nhMONFPLXMtrP9yI_nw68L4kW6x6RvX2Z_vaJIgmWVZEMtY-pYjVufDDFEjfNgVWlt5dUza11-_8l72NGR-FBcaZsgshTNC_NlH5h_VBs6yf3RAWhK0ZoMiPtqUAMnLlApPsF4J84ulYJccwla5LQV-IuXp1ADjCzXbJUFKCpT1IjrlZlmiP57q27wuJRCEf6u3_xT1z4HO6OvTvPDQct4mI3efarjBW_gDrPorK5k5jSxytyEl8CruSwLBukx6FETrdfgB_p0sKhdD9D7_gPNMMiE_SBayBL-f-s_OUH3VLCpaFy1Pu5-r1UhZIj1nfE89yl5i8VHiHpGz7pEzpb6sM-m51PEjnvvRs8A-_2Y1MOceveNOKsEUN2Ec3cfXJ6kcO6PffO2bMO5yNdK46jzT5fsNtMMoOJEYOTWwFV-NGzZ_J25ITCEP1vRdOw-VqDiDFkhgV-KGj04ZI_jemqlUvGMp_Kb0Ewefyh6HN4EuMAoTjeyruk=w1659-h933-no
Can you make a tutorial because I want to use it those but I have not idea where I have to connect in the body drone.. Nice Job by the way

Can you make a tutorial because I want to use it those but I have not idea where I have to connect in the body drone.. Nice Job by the way

See the picture post #1. They attach right to the top of the legs, You just have to drill a 1/4" hole for the RP-SMA threads.

As far as where they attach inside, the u.fl connectors attach to the camera, like this:

And that's all there is to it, really.

See the picture post #1. They attach right to the top of the legs, You just have to drill a 1/4" hole for the RP-SMA threads.

As far as where they attach inside, the u.fl connectors attach to the camera, like this:

And that's all there is to it, really.

This may be a weekend off project, especially since it is 2 weekends away.

I understand disconnecting the original antennas, but what/how is the connection made when you screw in the connector?

This may be a weekend off project, especially since it is 2 weekends away.

I understand disconnecting the original antennas, but what/how is the connection made when you screw in the connector?

A weekend? Nah... this takes like 1/2 hour tops. An hour maybe, if you made them from scratch.

The connection is made in the same place as the originals, on top of the camera/gimbal with rp-sma to u.fl connectors.

Last edited:
awesome. I went up to the mountains this weekend and I got 6,900 feet this weekend. My video feed was solid the whole way, but it was my 5.8 transmitter signal that was making RTH. I kept fighting it, but the AC kept turning around to come home. I have ARGtek mod and was using the three flat directional panels. I am really impressed with the video feed, it was clear the whole time turing the RTH.
View attachment 75047

Where do you get that image from? How are you tracking that information? I am just starting out in this and have the Alfa mod on its way to me. This dipole mod looks like something else that I may have to look into.

Reactions: orry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West