Home Lock vs Fail Safe, which one to use ?

I don't see how atti is a saver if the bird is out of sight, out of FPV and you don't know its orientation in space. ATTI only maintain verticality by GPS but not the horizontal movement, so it wiil drift with momentum and wind. The only savers if you don see and lack orientation is HL or RTH. You can use either but must have altitude to avoid high objects in the path.

phantomi said:
I don't see how atti is a saver if the bird is out of sight, out of FPV and you don't know its orientation in space. ATTI only maintain verticality by GPS but not the horizontal movement, so it wiil drift with momentum and wind. The only savers if you don see and lack orientation is HL or RTH. You can use either but must have altitude to avoid high objects in the path.
And this assuming you don't have moved from home point.

phantomi said:
The only savers if you don see and lack orientation is HL or RTH. You can use either but must have altitude to avoid high objects in the path.

That's my belief too.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
ToThePoint said:
AAC said:
After reading your advice, my understanding is, with 6+ GPS signal connection, FS will bring it back, landing and turn off motor. HL will call it back to 10 m from controller and changed to CL, it will not land automatically, am I correct ?
Therefore, if I don't need to regain control, simply FS mode is the best option for me if found something unusual, right ?

HL only works up to 10m from Homepoint, that has nothing to do with the controller !
If something unusual happen the first thing to do is set the system in ATTI mode, forget failsafe and homelock or lose the bird.
If something unusual happens then you need to gain control !

Agree and I also disagree. If you lose sight of the quad my suggestion is to first use homelock and then watch your distance. If in fact the distance is reducing then you know the quad is returning to you and you will eventually require visual site. If you do not see the distance reducing then look at your radar and put it in ATTI mode and fly it back until you see it.

The problem with ATTI mode is if you have any wind and you're not flying it back toward you then you are continuously drifting away from you.

As Damon stated, Home lock doesn't work when things go bad. I experienced it first hand when that gps module went faulty. Or when i was flying in a gorge last summer, almost no sats in a narrow gorge.
The only way is ATTI mode and indeed watch that radar, altitude, distance and for gods sake learn to fly in case you will need it.

ATTI doesn't rely on GPS position, and merely keeps the Phantom level.
HL and Failsafe each have their benefits, it's good to try/test them both out when you know your GPS is functioning and Home Location had been recorded (20x green blinks).

In my experience, if I lost orientation I'd just use HL to bring the craft closer to home so I could then re-establize orientation.
but if I lost sight of my Phantom and it was a distance away, I'd go with using Failsafe to have it automatically rise up and fly home.
switching to ATTI is only ideal if you feel your GPS lock has been compromised.

After more practising in Naza mode, I believe it is more easy to control my PV2+ than in Phantom. In the first two weeks, I had hard time to fly in Phantom ATTI mode simply I lost orientation control when it is 200 ft away from me. Even it was in my eyesight but yaw to other angles, I have trouble to figure out all four directions in a short period of time. Likely I don't play TV games.
While in CL, I'm more relief to control the L/R/F/B, not mentioning I have FS, HL as my safety net. I don't know why DJI doesn't add this easy function in Phantom mode.
I agree with all of you, I must learn how to fly in ATTI mode without GPS.

AAC said:
don't play TV games.
While in CL, I'm more relief to control the L/R/F/B, not mentioning I have FS, HL as my safety net. I don't know why DJI doesn't add this easy function in Phantom mode.
I agree with all of you, I must learn how to fly in ATTI mode without GPS.

I assume from a help desk point of view... DJI didn't want to be flooded with phone calls. There will be so many ringing up and complaining why their phantoms are crabbing in the air flying sideways. There will be so much more crashes because the orientation is all messed up. All because of 1 simple check they didn't do - the toggle switches. They have made it simple with Phantom mode and yet people still crash! I think DJI has made the correct decision by NOT enabling NAZA.
Think of NAZA as an Easter eggs for learners. When they want to learn more, they can look it up.

Back on topic.
Just to be clear. Some are getting confused with the acronyms and terminology. The words Home Lock and Return to Home is probably confusing to some.
Failsafe (FS) and Return to Home (RTH) is essentially the same. When failsafe is triggered it will return to the home (lock position).
Home Lock (HL) is a separate system, and its a method of flight. The only thing that the above system shares is the GPS reference point.

I don't use the Failsafe/RTH unless there is failure. That's why its called Failsafe! Failsafe can fly into trees, buildings etc.
Everyone should use the RADAR and point it back to the home position and push fwd whilst checking for distinguished poi and obstacles on the FPV screen. If you are confident that Home lock has been established, then use the HL and pull the stick back. During this time, I try to descend during flight and listen to the sweet buzzing motors.
Users lose the phantom because they think the fail safe is a "feature" and get complacent, "Don't worry, she'll come back".

And I don't recommend ATTI unless you are in visual range and low wind conditions. **** escalates quickly if you are untrained.

Mako79 said:
I assume from a help desk point of view... DJI didn't want to be flooded with phone calls. .

No kidding !

Look how many times it gets discussed here :shock:

bcass1 said:
Does HL and Cl work when the drone is in GPS mode?
S1 GPS mode yes. If software assistant has been changed from phantom to naza.

Actually HL and CL relies on GPS.

I'm beginning to think DJI should be a sponsor of this site and paying users for answering all the peoples questions for them.

They have no reason to be so piss poor in dealing with actual warranty work and questions with a forum doing most of it for them.

If GPS lock is attained pre departure from home point,,, can HL or CL be activated at anytime while GPS +6 and how is this activated by flicking 5 - 10 times on the SW?

rrmccabe said:
Actually HL and CL relies on GPS.

actually, while CL will work in GPS mode, it will also work in ATTI mode. -
because it relies mostly on compass direction to set up it's left/right/forward/back grid, not GPS coordinates
give it a try (in preferably non-windy conditions)

Silicastorm said:
If GPS lock is attained pre departure from home point,,, can HL or CL be activated at anytime while GPS +6 and how is this activated by flicking 5 - 10 times on the SW?

HL and CL reset can be done in mid flight provided NAZA and IOC is activated.
I am however experiencing difficulties doing it in 3.06.
In the previous firmwares (1.08) it could be done via the left s2 Toggle switch.
To reset Course lock flick S2 position 1 to 2 x 5.
To reset Home Lock flick S2 Position 2-3 x 5 - Radar should be 0.0. That is now your new home point.
Wait for the rapid flashes for confirmation on both CL and HL

Part of my pre flight check was to take it above the highest point around me and do a HL in the air. So if a RTH failsafe is triggered, it will go up 20metres from the new HL point I set. This will avoid the trees etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor