high altitude pics

DJI_0834.jpg
DJI_0837.jpg

Guys, remember FAA requirements if in the USA. Especially new guys, you are not to be above 400 ft AGL (basically takoff). Keep that in mind. Just trying to help everyone so you don't get a ring from the FAA or worse. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
That is not a law, it is a suggestion for safety. If you are in an area that you are sure is safe, there is no law against flying as high as you want.

I have flown mine off the side of a 2500+ ft mountain side, my elevation according to DJI GO was 0ft or as low as negative 800 feet. I also took it up another 500 feet or so, so it was actually around 3000 ft above the base of the mountain and about three miles out. Although DJI GO said I was around 500 ft elevation. I was between two very close high mountain ridges away from any air traffic. No worries.
I will have to find the video and upload it if anyone wants to see it.

That is not a law, it is a suggestion for safety. If you are in an area that you are sure is safe, there is no law against flying as high as you want.

HW, I won't debate here. I have done that enough with people about this subject. If in the USA, refer to the FAA website here for hobbyists: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

If for commercial or civil, need at least a Part 107. There you are required to stay under 400 unless you get a waiver.

But, keep in mind if you are hobby, you have to check in with airport within 5 miles. Some may have restrictions for you. Good luck and have fun flying.

Reactions: KentA and antnyp85
HW, I won't debate here. I have done that enough with people about this subject. If in the USA, refer to the FAA website here for hobbyists: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

If for commercial or civil, need at least a Part 107. There you are required to stay under 400 unless you get a waiver.

But, keep in mind if you are hobby, you have to check in with airport within 5 miles. Some may have restrictions for you. Good luck and have fun flying.

Yes, But that is not what you stated in your original post. You made a blanket statement that everyone has to stay below 400 feet which is false.

"Guys, remember FAA requirements if in the USA. Especially new guys, you are not to be above 400 ft AGL (basically takoff). Keep that in mind. Just trying to help everyone so you don't get a ring from the FAA or worse."

Flying off the side of a mountain.
Note: This was on the Blueridge Parkway, We had talked to a park ranger and we were told it was okay to fly there as long as we did not interfere with traffic or the wildlife. Later on another site, we were informed it is illegal to fly from the parkway. Which is odd because hang gliders launch from there. SO DON'T DO IT KIDS. :p

Like I said, not going to debate. I have discussed this with FAA officials and on here before. They would like everything to stay under since plane, choppers can be as low as 500 ft AGL. Sorry if it caused confusion for some. Just trying to help us all be safe. Ask some of the profession pilots like @BigAl07. I have my Remote PIC, so I just follow that. I don't see any need to be up higher, but that is my personal opinion.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Like I said, not going to debate. I have discussed this with FAA officials and on here before. They would like everything to stay under since plane, choppers can be as low as 500 ft AGL. Sorry if it caused confusion for some. Just trying to help us all be safe. Ask some of the profession pilots like @BigAl07. I have my Remote PIC, so I just follow that. I don't see any need to be up higher, but that is my personal opinion.

I understand, you should just clarify before giving out false information. Have fun! Be safe.

Reactions: Reed L and kirk2579

Yeah it is of course the safest to stay under 400 feet because if you are near any air traffic you could be cited for endangering other air craft. I wouldn't hesitate to go about 400 feet but only in certain areas.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Not sure how high this is (and wouldn't post it anyway . . .) but it's not 400 ft. And, as you can see, it's from my aging ancient P2V (not even a plus!). Just thought I'd toss it in because I love the location.

Attachments

• DJI00006.JPG
    DJI00006.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 518

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka