Here we go again, another idiot

"The drone is submerged in the spring's 160-degree waters. Officials hope to remove it."

I think I should start a museum (or at least collection) of Phantoms and other drones crashed and recovered from unique locations like that. Gonna need a pretty big place to store them all though :D

Seriously. Stop ruining this for the rest of us, morons. Next one of you who has some bright idea, just keep it to yourself.

It's hard to say since we don't know all the facts. I mean... who's to say he wasn't flying it OUTSIDE the park and experienced a flyaway that... carried it... several miles... away... awwwww, who am I kidding. Pilot's an idiot.

But if its submerged in 160-degree (likely acidic) water, I'd have to believe the battery is already compromised and leaking toxic materials into the spring. :-(

Oh Peshaw! What could go wrong flying in a National Park? I hope he uses the Johnnie Cochran defense "I launched the Phantom OUTSIDE the park", that's a brilliant legal maneuver that could actually add time to your sentence.

In other news:

Deep into the murky, murky waters... :shock:

Quadcopter suppliers should start attaching a brightly colored notice that requires it to be removed before the bird can be flown. Lists items such as areas/locations/conditions/etc to avoid. I'd be willing to bet a majority of the pilots causing these issues and headaches are simply ignorant to the rules and unaware that something could go wrong during flight.

brandon1515 said:
Quadcopter suppliers should start attaching a brightly colored notice that requires it to be removed before the bird can be flown. Lists items such as areas/locations/conditions/etc to avoid. I'd be willing to bet a majority of the pilots causing these issues and headaches are simply ignorant to the rules and unaware that something could go wrong during flight.

The manual? :lol:

I normally don't read the manual on the things I buy, but this is one of those instances where you SHOULD read it.

Idiot - agreed. And it also is worthy of note that the media has elevated the story to compare with a nuclear device detonated at the Capitol.

The sad fact is that there are thousands of idiots as evidenced by this quote from Yellowstone info, "People have thrown literally tons of coins, trash, rocks, and logs into the pool. Much of the debris subsequently became embedded in the sides and vent of the spring, "

Of course, I do understand that the tons of trash by those idiots ruining things is not as newsworthy as this DRONE EVENT!!!

Hysterical stupidity has to become universally routine and we are nearly there.

EV2 said:
Idiot - agreed. And it also is worthy of note that the media has elevated the story to compare with a nuclear device detonated at the Capitol.

The sad fact is that there are thousands of idiots as evidenced by this quote from Yellowstone info, "People have thrown literally tons of coins, trash, rocks, and logs into the pool. Much of the debris subsequently became embedded in the sides and vent of the spring, "

Of course, I do understand that the tons of trash by those idiots ruining things is not as newsworthy as this DRONE EVENT!!!

Hysterical stupidity has to become universally routine and we are nearly there.

The story isn't about drones, it's about how freaking stupid people are.

Exhibit A) "The two ex-Boy Scout leaders who high-fived and cheered as they toppled over an ancient rock formation in Utah were sentenced Tuesday to a year of probation and a fine. Taylor, who was captured on video pushing over the boulder — estimated to be about 170 million years old — pleaded guilty to criminal mischief. Hall, his cohort, pleaded guilty to attempted criminal mischief."

Park Service puts rules in place for the safety of the park, the animals, the park visitors, and the enjoyment of ALL it's guests...and you ARE a freaking guest. It is only logical to follow the rules as many of those rules are for YOUR safety.

Exhibit B) "A family trip to Yosemite National Park turned tragic when two brothers, ages 6 and 10, were swept away in the Merced River while cooling off during a hike, authorities said Thursday.

The family of 15 to 20 relatives from the Los Angeles area began the hike at the Happy Isles trailhead Wednesday and had gone about a mile when they stopped around 3 p.m. at the Vernal Fall Footbridge, said park officials.

The family - like many other hot, tired hikers - decided to cool off in the river, a practice that park officials discourage because of numerous accidents and drownings over the years.

The boys were wading in water 6 to 8 inches deep next to their parents and other relatives and friends when they somehow got caught in the current and were pulled down the boulder-strewn river, said park spokesman Scott Gediman."

The area was roped off and a sign posted DANGEROUS DO NOT ENTER. The family climbed under the ropes - the boys bodies were never recovered.

And if all that doesn't dissuade you:

Exhibit C) Human life > Youtube Video

This quote is curious, "Drone expert Patrick Mullen, of Parish, N.Y., said he has concerns Grand Prismatic’s unique thermal bacteria community could be harmed by melted plastics and lead from the drone’s battery."

Is anyone aware of a "drone" using heavy lead batteries as noted by this "expert" ?

be quite interesting to know what makes Mr Patrick Mullen a Drone Expert. Instead of doing a helicopter flight over the spring to find the downed Quad, perhaps use another one lol

OI Photography said:
"The drone is submerged in the spring's 160-degree waters. Officials hope to remove it."

I think I should start a museum (or at least collection) of Phantoms and other drones crashed and recovered from unique locations like that. Gonna need a pretty big place to store them all though :D

And the Smithsonian adds a new wing... :D

Flying there in the first place indicates the pilot didn't have both oars in the water. Crashing it there puts him at the shallow end of the gene pool. He should be flying kites. Small ones... :roll:

-slinger

p fandango said:
be quite interesting to know what makes Mr Patrick Mullen a Drone Expert. Instead of doing a helicopter flight over the spring to find the downed Quad, perhaps use another one lol

Every time I see the word "expert" my horse **** alarms starts clanging. I know a bunch of people who are excellent at what they do and have an encyclopedic memory of facts and figures regarding their gig. Not a one of them would claim to be an "expert".

I once read an article in the Providence Journal that called someone I knew, who was the owner of a multi-line BBS, a communications expert. I really hate the effects of coffee coming out my nose... :shock:

-slinger

Reactions: GregWV
I don't know about this one. Let's say for the sake of conversation, that it was legal to fly in a national park (please note that it is not legal). The guy flew his drone over a hot spring. He did not fly it over the folks. The bird malfunctioned and ended up in the drink. How is that any different than flying over Lake Tahoe, or over the surf at Manhattan Beach? I will admit that a hot spring is exactly that, a hot spring. Yes the air is warmed, but not that much. If the spring water were, say 120 degrees, it would only be that warm a few feet above the surface. Density altitude you say? I think the DJI birds have plenty of reserve lift. If the altitude of the spring is, say, 5000' and the temperature of the air is 120 degrees, the density altitude is 9742' well within the performance envelope if the bird. Maybe the guy did not know that we are not permitted to fly our birds in a national park. Are we being overly hard on him? When I first started flying, I was filming the surf at a local beach. Last time I was there, it was a state beach. Turns out, it is now a NPS beach. The ranger came along and very nicely explained that flight was not permitted. So I apologized and landed and went home. It could have been the same with this guy. I hope we are not jumping to false judgment on this guy. Just my 2cents.

usaken said:
Maybe the guy did not know that we are not permitted to fly our birds in a national park. Are we being overly hard on him?

First thing they teach you in law school... ignorance of the law is not a defense.

If you fly your drone somewhere, it is with the assumption that you have done your research and are responsible for determining if it is safe and legal to do so.

No... we're not being too hard on him.

I don't totally agree with that comment. Many new pilots are not aware of all the forums or follow then to have this information. When I got my first cheap heli or quad, I never thought of getting on web to find out the laws of where I could fly. Parks should be posted as such. They state...vehicles restricted to paved roads, no motorized vehicles such as scooters etc on pathways, no alcohol, no swimming, no feeding wild animals and on and on. If it's not posted as a restriction, why should you worry as long as you do it in a safe manner. Most only takes common sense. And you can only take some of what you read on forums as being true. So many uninformed people. Don't even rely on your local police to know all of the rules. They just don't. For example...I have a 49cc Honda scooter that I use to get plates for to ride on streets as it is street legal as far as equipment goes. I live in Missouri and they have changed the laws stating anything under 50 cc doesn't need to be licensed for street use. Some areas around me will not let me use it on the city streets without proper plates on it. I'm willing to pay for plates but the DMV won't let me get them because it's under 50 cc. What the hell sense does that make? The law makers need to pull their heads out of their butts.I also think all new flying machines should have a warning page stating the possibility of these restrictions and links to get this info. But, as we all know, many will thumb their nose at the law and do as they want. I have asked local police about the scooter thing and they are absolutely no help.

Whether a law makes sense, or whether you agree with it, is completely immaterial (as far as your responsibility to know and follow it - or, at least, choose to follow it or not).

MANY laws are not "posted" anywhere. But the onus is still on YOU to know them. If you're about to visit a National Park, it's up to you to get information about rules and regulations therein. And not by going to online forums... as you say, so many uninformed people. You should go straight to the source. One very easy bit of research, that wouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes, would be to CALL the park and ask.

But, in fact, I just got back from Acadia National Park, and the restriction actually IS posted there. It's on one of the several 8 1/2 x 11 memos hanging on the exterior wall of the station gate on the main loop road. Caught my eye just because the word "drone" stood out. I don't know for certain, but I would imagine that Yellowstone, and any NP, is the same.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl