Help With FPV

Reaction score
I got this FPV set of tx and rx and been trying to install the camera but no success. Anyone can point me to any direction on cable coloring? I tried the FPV with a Gopro and it works nice but I want to use a separate camera so the Gopro can do best quality alone.

Camera:
fk12.jpg

XM495 5 VOLT PLUG AND PLAY WITH WIDE ANGLE VIEW:
An improvement on one of our smallest cameras for FPV. Now with a 170 degree wide angle lens and capable of handling 5 volts dc. This camera can be used with any of our FPV starter sets; especially where space is a concern.
Features/Specs:
Excellent Night vision Mini CCTV Camera
SENSOR: 1/3 CMOS
SYSTEM: NTSC
HORIZONTAL RESOLUTION:520TVL move higher resolution
Exellent night vision of 0.008Lux/F2.0
VIEW ANGLE :170 degree wide angle
DIMENSIONS:LxWxH:24mm x 18mm x (15-25mm)
POWER SUPPLY:DC5volts (± 10%)

FPV: 5.8G Wireless FPV RX RC305 Receiver + 5.8G 1000mw 8CH TX51W Transmitter Kit

keau.jpg

RC305
- Receiving frequency:5725 - 5865MHz; 8channels
- Receiving sensitivity:-90dBm
- Frequency control:built - in frequency and phase lock loop
- Double lines AV output:analog AV signal output
- Antenna connector:SMA(Inside the needle)
- Power supply voltage: 6.5 - 15V
- Supply current: 150mA
- Receiver size: 7cm x 5.2cm x 1.3cm(aluminium alloy extrusion profiles)
- Package size: 15cm x 10.5cm x 3.5cm

Package includes:
- 1 x Receiver RC305
- 1 x Antenna
- 1 x AV output terminal(about 27cm)
- 1 x Power line(about 125cm with JST head)

TX51W

Features and Specs:
- 5.8G Technology 5645MHz - 5945MHz
- 8 Channel selectable
- Dual AV output
- Vidio output: 1Vp - p 75ohm
- Audio output: 1Vp - p 600ohm
- Power supply: DC 12V
- Video: PAL/NTSC
- Transimitter size: 5.1cm x 2.7cm x 3.4
- Package size: 17cm x 5cm x 5cm

Package includes:
- 1 x 5.8G 1000mW transmitter
- 1 x Antenna
- 1 x JST cable(about 25cm)
- 1 x Connect line(about 20.5cm)
- 1 x Power out Video out Audio out harness(about 33.5cm)

There are a ton of videos available online showing how to set up FPV cabling. Several of the hobby stores on the ads for the TX/RX's also have diagrams. Since audio is non-operative there are only two wires, gnd and video....from the camera to the TX and from the RX to the monitor. There are a lot of useless wires that can/should be removed to save weight on the bird. Videos available on that.

Exactly WHY do you think the GoPro recording is inferior if it is also sending to the TX while recording to the SD card? First time I have heard anyone say this.

I made it work but the camera stopped working, probably because it`s 5V and the phantom 12V so I`m ordering a new camera that`s 12V instead. Thanks a lot, I`m no expert and I love you all people for helping out!

Or.......you could have gotten a BEC to convert 12v to 5V for about $3 and saved yourself burning out your GoPro. When dealing with expensive and delicate electrical circuits I would suggest that, for those "not an expert"...you do little research and get confirmation before you start DIY wiring.

I noticed your TX is 1000mW. Did you get a recommendation on that?? That is 4 times stronger than mine (which might be a bit too weak...still waiting for more efficient antennas to arrive). Seems is though the long distance flyers here are using 500mW.

The standard by which all modifications should be judged is 1) how much does it weigh....since each gram of wt will cost you a second of flying time....each and every flight. A too powerful TX is inevitably going to be heavier than a "just right" Tx. and 2) how much energy does it take to drive it....which HAS to come either from the battery also driving the motors....OR...demands a second battery just for the TX....more weight = even less flying time. So getting a too powerful Tx is a double whammy flight killer. I don't know whether 1000Mw is overkill or not...but my guess is that it is.

Sounds as though you have been winging it by yourself a lot....and paying the price. But then, it is only $$.

@rotorhead42

I don't know about your setup, but on mine, the video Transmitter has a 5v power out that is for the 5v fpv camera. The VTX itself can take any voltage 2s through 6s batteries.

@Peter

I don't think there is any problem with the video recording from the GP while using the live out for FPV. However, there is much documented about it not being the best choice for fpv. Framing the shot, yes. While flying, many things can go wrong with the live out. A stand alone "board camera" is preferred by serious fpv'ers, with a switch to go to the GP for framing if desired.

Dave,
I am aware that the GP is not the preferred FPV camera for high speed FPV flight, but he was committing to a second camera because he believed that TX'ing out of the GP was degrading the recording quality of the GP...AND had not even seen what the GP view could do or looked like. I wanted clarification on that.

From what I can tell the Ph is more of a minimalist bird with very limited payload capacity and highly "taxed" flight time for every bit of extra weight loading. As has been said here before, many people get a PH and then start loading it up with all the bells and whistles...find out they are lucky to get 5 minutes flight time....and then go looking for a bigger, more efficient bird.

Peter, I believe you are correct that the op's problem is/was that the recorded video was corrupted when he used the line out for some reason. (BTW, I also agree that it seems that folks get the phantom and load it to the gills.)

Guys, The FPV I have is not that heavy, I get decent flight time. I`m actually online trying to get a ready to use FPV that come with the camera included, cables and all gimmicks so I can just plug and play it. Any suggestions? I found camera with these specs:
Power: DC12V 70mA +/-5mA
What type of battery would power that?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...y_CCD_Video_Camera_700TV_Lines_F1_2_PAL_.html

I`m doing excellent shots but currently flying on "eye calculation mode" because of no FPV....

Dave Pitman said:
Peter, I believe you are correct that the op's problem is/was that the recorded video was corrupted when he used the line out for some reason. (BTW, I also agree that it seems that folks get the phantom and load it to the gills.)

RH42,
if you are happy...life is good. If the most important thing for you is FPV flying, a dedicated FPV video device is best. If you are thinking of serious video recording, then you MUST be tapping into the camera's actual video recording at some point.

Not sure what you mean by "light". 30 grams comes quickly. That is a loss of half a minute every flight.

Your fPV device is listed at 12V....surprising me that there is not a range...as in say 10-17 or something like that. But it clearly intended for a 3s lipo. THAT one you can direct wire to your main flying battery (and lose more time from the power draw...altho probably minimal)...OR any other dedicated battery that can deliver 12V and sufficient Ma. OF course...your FPV will require its OWN VTX....more weight....and its OWN power supply....more weight PLUS power draw.

Let us know how this all works out!

I just looked. Your proposed camera weighs 70 gms!!! Kiss off a minute 10 seconds of flight, and that is BEFORE you add the weight of mounting, wiring, and maybe an extra battery....THEN a separate VTX and all the associated stuff. And you are doing this above and beyond the Gopro...which also gives you the EXACT same field of view...and a more useful one at that since it shows EXACTLY what you are recording.

The Phantom is simply NOT a barge on which you can hang any and everything that looks or feels cool. I KNOW how this is going to turn out. I've said all of what you need to know...but you are going to learn for yourself.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews