Help Selecting A Drone

The DJI site enables side-by-side line-by-line comparisons of all the stats and features for up to three (I think) models. That's what sold me on the P3S.

First and foremost, determine your immediate application and potential future applications. Don't get caught up in technology you're never going to need or use. Sure, you can turn off the 4K but why pay for it if you're never going to need it. As to streaming quality, I don't see that it's crucial to enjoying this hobby. I have a really good image on my app and there's no picture break-up or anything like that, Here again, I don't fly out more than line of sight or about 600 feet so my wi-fi connection works great. It will go at least a half-mile if I let it, but no thanks. If you want to send it out long-distance, then lightbridge is the way to go.

Lastly, consider re-sale value. Not everyone is cut-out for this hobby. Just look at all of the used offers out there claiming low hours. It's not for everyone because it can be nerve wracking!

As to new or used, go on to YouTube and look at all the people doing self-repairs, especially on the gimbal. I would never risk purchasing something that has been salvaged from a water landing or hit a tree.

The other thing I forgot to account for was a decent phone or tablet. I had to purchase an 8" tablet to really see anything. The image on my phone was just too small especially if you need to read distance, height, satellites, etc. Add $179 - $249 for a decent android tablet.

I told someone from the DJI forum about you since he was selling his p4 professional. For the price you are willing to pay for the p4, a p4p is definitely a better deal. I think you have to wait until he gets back from some vacation though. If you want to buy off DJI's website directly, I also have a 5% coupon that I have no use for, but it only applies to the newest DJI Mavic and DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian models. Let me know...

I told someone from the DJI forum about you since he was selling his p4 professional. For the price you are willing to pay for the p4, a p4p is definitely a better deal. I think you have to wait until he gets back from some vacation though. If you want to buy off DJI's website directly, I also have a 5% coupon that I have no use for, but it only applies to the newest DJI Mavic and DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian models. Let me know...

Thanks, I definitely don't mind waiting until he gets back as I am in no real rush and do t want to make a knee jerk decision. If that does not work out, maybe I'll look you up for the 5%.....thanks for the offer!!!!!

Cheers

Brand new P3 standard Best buy in Canada $679. Had mine for a year.few crashes.lotta fun. Impressive drone, Not as impressed with my new P4 to be honest.. I'd buy a 3 again in a heartbeat, tuff as heck.Dropped mine from 50 ft on pavement,yup.

Reactions: LarBear360
Brand new P3 standard Best buy in Canada $679. Had mine for a year.few crashes.lotta fun. Impressive drone, Not as impressed with my new P4 to be honest.. I'd buy a 3 again in a heartbeat, tuff as heck.Dropped mine from 50 ft on pavement,yup.
I can buy a small fleet of P3 Standards for the price of one Phantom 4 Pro!

I've been flying model helicopters off and on for a few years and then bought a couple syma quads last fall and that got me hooked. One late night back in march I was browsing slickdeals and came across s P3S refurb for $298! Checkmate. I couldn't quite justify spending a lot of money on another toy/hobby, but that was much more palatable. Only downside to the P3S that I've seen over the past few months is my range. I live in a small town, but dang, everyone must have their wifi routers cranked up. I'm lucky to get 300' away before I lose connection. Since then, I found a guy on here that was local selling a used P3A and just picked that up.

Two methods: buy once, cry once or start small and upgrade as you get more into the hobby. I always hear that you will lose or crash your first drone. I'm glad the first few I lost/crashed were syma's.

Reactions: BillyN
I just purchased a barely used P3P with a great case, extra battery, the extra props it came with and all accessories it shipped with for $600.00 from craigslist. there is a few on ebay going for around that price also. This is my second P3P, if this is your first drone that is the way I would go. It really sucks the first time you crash your $1200.00 drone.

Thing about any of these is the stability in flying which makes them very easy to learn to fly on any of them, in which any of these are easier to fly than cheap drones. Slow and steady stick commands and it's easy flying.

One thing I would add (to all the other great advice stated above) is that you consider the ability to "keep" video feed whilst in flight, even if you do not fly long distance. The best video feed/penetration through trees and such, will definitely come from Lightbridge. Detailing that ever further, look at the outputs of each controller. The GL300C controller has the less output of all controllers. GL300A and B have more and equal output. On the older versions of the P3A's and P3P's, some came with GL300A and GL300B. I see that new ones (cant remember if it was P3A's or P3P's) are now being sold with GL300C remotes. The original P4S has always came with the GL300C. Not saying that there is a huge significant difference, (though through time, it became a significant difference to me) but later on when you start learning how to tweak your signal chain, you'll wish you hadn't gotten a model that came with the GL300C. So, while you look at different crafts, also look at which controller they come with.

I now fly my P4, (which came with GL300C) with a GL658C (Inspire) remote as it gave me much more RX value when it counts. That's as important to me as the camera specs because it's a lot less stressful knowing you have more control over your flight. Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy flying!!!

Johnny

Last edited:
I was in exactly the same situation as you 4 months ago, I got a P3 Pro for under $600 in very good condition off eBay and I could not be happier. I had a chance to fly the p4pro last week when I was with one of my friends and to be honest, I could not justify the cost. If you look on Craigslist and eBay you will find many P3 pros at very reasonable prices. Range is good, picture resolution is amazing, I don't use the 4K either because I have nothing to view it on, but I really love my P3 Pro

Or more and because I fly conservatively and mostly for aerial photography not recreationally the collision avoidance is not a huge perk for me.

That's a hard one to answer unless you have and test both in the same location.

Fair enough but I'm talking generally, is the P4 supposed to have much more range than the P3 pro or are they "basically" the same give or take.

The DJI site enables side-by-side line-by-line comparisons of all the stats and features for up to three (I think) models. That's what sold me on the P3S.

First and foremost, determine your immediate application and potential future applications. Don't get caught up in technology you're never going to need or use. Sure, you can turn off the 4K but why pay for it if you're never going to need it. As to streaming quality, I don't see that it's crucial to enjoying this hobby. I have a really good image on my app and there's no picture break-up or anything like that, Here again, I don't fly out more than line of sight or about 600 feet so my wi-fi connection works great. It will go at least a half-mile if I let it, but no thanks. If you want to send it out long-distance, then lightbridge is the way to go.

Lastly, consider re-sale value. Not everyone is cut-out for this hobby. Just look at all of the used offers out there claiming low hours. It's not for everyone because it can be nerve wracking!

As to new or used, go on to YouTube and look at all the people doing self-repairs, especially on the gimbal. I would never risk purchasing something that has been salvaged from a water landing or hit a tree.

The other thing I forgot to account for was a decent phone or tablet. I had to purchase an 8" tablet to really see anything. The image on my phone was just too small especially if you need to read distance, height, satellites, etc. Add $179 - $249 for a decent android tablet.

I am retiring and have a 9 mth old ph 4 pro that I am going to sell, probably less than an hour on it, excellent condition, 2 batteries....please let me know if you are interested. I am in ontario, canada

Look into other brands. Are you technical by nature? If not, DJI isn't for you - constant firmware updates. Lot's of frustration. I no longer fly DJI. Just became too much to rely on. IMHO. Plenty of birds on the market, with interchangeable cams. Just one example - BYRD series of aerial fold—GDU Aircraft

My recommendation would be to get a Mavic Pro Fly More Combo. They sell for $1300 new but currently BHPhotoVideo is selling 2 used ones for $1012 and the other one $1119. I love the Mavic Pro because of it's portability it's amazing, the fly more combo comes with a small bag, really good quality and you can literally fit everything but the charging cables in it. What exactly comes in the combo is in total 3 batteries, battery hub that can charge 4 batteries, car charger, ton of propellers, shoulder bag, Mavic Pro and controller, and a attachment that allows you to basically turn your battery into a portable charger and charge your controller and phone on the go.

Currently BHPhotoVideo doesn't have a regular used Mavic Pro, but new they sell for $1000 so you're honestly getting a steal if you buy that used Mavic Pro Fly More Combo. Just the 2 extra batteries are worth $178, all the extras that come with the Fly More Combo is worth $382. Even if you don't want a Mavic Pro keep looking on BHPhotoVideo for any used drone really. I see a lot of good deals on that website all the time. BHPhotoVideo is a trusted website and is a authorized dji dealer so don't worry about getting scammed or anything like that. When searching on the website to the left of the search bar click the drop down menu and select used and search any type of drone and it will show you if they have any used ones or not.

In my personal opinion the Phantom 3 Standard is good for beginners but the range is horrible. I once lost connection to my Phantom 3 Standard and it was only like 100 feet high and 200 ft away. The drone didn't even return to home it just flew away and a week later someone found it. Portability really sucks with the Phantom 3 it's huge, if you don't travel a lot it really doesn't matter though. I also noticed with a Phantom 3 or 4 in general you get a lot of attention. With my Mavic I barely get looked at.

Edit: Just found the regular used Mavic Pro on BHPhotoVideo

Attachments

• IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
So you would not even consider the 3 pro?

One of the aspects of the PRO 3 and PRO 4 is the amount of water resistance that went into the Camera itself that is why we were able to build a Phantom Wetsuit to fly in the rain for the Phantom 4 and not the Pro 3 as they were very different builds and the Pro 3 camera was not built to be as water resistant.

The other factor that no one mentions and is always over looked is the Phantom 4 has the Pro Plus controller which is much more stable than running the DJI software on you phone and has numerous other advantages.

Its not always about the money , its sometimes about just understanding where you will end up eventully end up getting to and becoming more well seasoned quicker and smarter.

Since you can buy Pro 4 on monthly basis several places now , just makes sense to get the best , to give you the best experience starting out.

We think at Phantomrain.org that being able to fly in adverse weather conditions is a game changer and brings a ton of love back into the Phantom 4 series,

So with that said, the number of software crashes on the those that fly with there phone far exceed the crashes that are from the Pro Plus controller as I have yet to have a single software crash on the Pro Plus, which for as many flights we do for testing the wetsuits is outstanding.

Just something to think about.

Storm cloud drone FRONTweb page2.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT