Help Selecting A Drone

Reaction score
I need some advice on selecting my first drone and am hoping to pick your brains......I've never flown a drone per se outside of my kids cheap 20.00 RC helicopter so I am also looking for ease of use.

First choice......

DJI phantom 3 4K professional with all my accessories as I am looking to buy a more compact drone. I have owned the drone for just over a year. The drone flies great and shoots amazing quality video and includes:
1x DJI phantom 3 4K professional drone 1x controller for said drone
1x Lowepro hard shell drone travel case 1x DJI intelligent flight battery charger 2x DJI intelligent flight battery
1x DJI intelligent flight battery warmer 1x blade wrench
8x white drone blades (4x each side)
4x carbon fibre drone blades (2x each side)
1x UV filter
1x assorted gimbal spare parts

The second choice

DJI Phantom 4 with one hour of flight time and no spare parts for 14,00

As I've never owned or flown one, it's near impossible for me to decide. Do I opt for the 4 with collision avoidance, sport mode, fly to mode and tracking mode (which is what I really want it for....to follow the kid) or do I save some money and get 2 batteries and all the accessories.

I don't really care about 4K video as I don't have anything with that resolution to view it on anyway.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Get a dji phantom 4 advanced if you can. It has the same camera as a p4p, but its price is a lot lower on Ebay since people apparently prefer the p4p more.

So you would not even consider the 3 pro?
If you can afford a dji Phantom 4 advanced, I highly recommend it because the camera is a major, major upgrade. Not only are the shots on the drone cleaner, but viewing the drone's point of view is a lot cleaner on the mobile device because it's in 1080p. I still recommend the DJI p3p/p4, but a p4a for a super low price is too hard to beat.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye out for a P4A but, so far, the P3P and the P4 are the only two available in my area....I would rather buy one I can get right away as apposed to ebay. A family member got ripped off huge there.

For the moment, let's consider the difference between the P3P above and the P4.....which one would you choose?

p4 if the price is close to the p3p. If it's a super low price, then get the p3p.

I can get the P3 with all the accessories list above (most important to me would be 2 batteries) for 800 while the P4 is 1,400 with no extras so almost double the price which is why I am asking....are the extra bells worth it?

I just want something I can film the kid at the lake with so I did t REALLY care about going 45 mph. Mostly I would want the "fly to point" and "track" modes....although the collision avoidance for a beginner might be nice as well.

( Mod Removed )! Don't ever pay $1,400 for a used, original p4. That is a huge RIPOFF. Even if those are the new p4 professionals, you can still find a better deal online or directly off DJI's website! Honestly, the best thing for that price is the new "DJI Mavic pro Platinum."

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also say I am in Canada so that would be the exchange and our tax built as well.....costs WAY more to live in Canada!!!!

Please do not buy those for that price. Those are some high prices for drones that are about a generation old. Getting it online will get you a better drone and a better deal!

Where??? The best price I've been able to find here is 1,200 plus tax for the P4.

I'm also new to all of this so I don't know all the great places to visit outside of the big box stores. You also have to remember 800.00 US is 1,000 CDN plus tax, shipping and custom fees.....

Here is an idea of what's in our stores....this is Best Buy

df4a8d8d645801726ff37db7e7f1907b.jpg

Then there's 5% tax on top of those "sale" prices

If you don't care about the 4K and long distance missions, the P3S is really all you need. I got mine new for under $400 USD. 4K sounds great but for most end-use applications like YouTube, Facebook, whatever the 4K is over-kill. And it's not easy to edit. For great looking pictures, video and line of sight flying, you can't beat the P3S.

Reactions: Newbieguy
I am new to drones and got the P3S because I want to be able to focus on the fun and not worry too much about the potential dollar loss if I was to lose it.

Reactions: sgf and LarBear360
Thanks for all the advice and posts, I really appreciate the help!!!

I like the idea of the new technology, bells and whistles but really wonder if it's worth the price difference for my first drone....I could not be more on the fence if I tried!!!

If you don't care about the 4K

Not really, like I said, I don't t have a TV that will play it anyway. Even if I did, last time I went to the electronics store I looked at a 4K then a 1080p and could not see a massive difference anyway.

and long distance missions

What's the difference in distance between the Phantom 3 pro and the Phantom 4?

If I am not mistaken, I believe in Canada, unlicensed recreational drones are restricted to 350 feet (90 meters) high and 1600 feet (500 meters) away.

the P3S is really all you need. I got mine new for under $400 USD.

So 800 Canadian for a P3pro with all those accessories is not too bad of a deal then????

Does the P3pro have the "fly to" and "track" modes? Do you have to wear something for it to track you?

I'll still keep my eye out and search for a P4 over the coming weeks, especially if the 3 does not have those 2 options.

Thanks again!!!!

I am new to drones and got the P3S because I want to be able to focus on the fun and not worry too much about the potential dollar loss if I was to lose it.

That too was one of my considerations. I've NEVER flown drones and have no idea how easy or hard they are to fly

I need some advice on selecting my first drone and am hoping to pick your brains......I've never flown a drone per se outside of my kids cheap 20.00 RC helicopter so I am also looking for ease of use.
First choice......
DJI phantom 3 4K professional

The second choice
DJI Phantom 4 with one hour of flight time and no spare parts for 14,00​
The P3-4K is the black sheep of the Phantom family.
It uses old-tech wifi rather than the superior Lightbridge technology of the P3 Advanced and Pro.
And for some reason, it has a lower resolution live view than all other P3 series.

The difference between Lightbridge and wifi for control and liveview is huge definitely worth going for.
When you get one, you'll be surprised how easy it is to fly - much easier than cheap toy drones.
The trick is to avoid becoming too confident before you learn all the things that can go wrong and how to manage them.

The P3-4K is the black sheep of the Phantom family.
It uses old-tech wifi rather than the superior Lightbridge technology of the P3 Advanced and Pro.
And for some reason, it has a lower resolution live view than all other P3 series.

The difference between Lightbridge and wifi for control and liveview is huge definitely worth going for.
When you get one, you'll be surprised how easy it is to fly - much easier than cheap toy drones.
The trick is to avoid becoming too confident before you learn all the things that can go wrong and how to manage them.

Great to know.....I assumed that they were the same as it was listed as the P3-4K "Professional." I figured it was the P3 with the upgraded camera of the P4.......that makes my decision easier and sways me to the P4 side of the fence a little.

I can likely push through a new P4 but anything above the standard model will be really pushing it with the wife who thinks this is just a stupid man toy and a complete waste of money.

The description of "Phantom 3 4K Professional" would worry me, slightly.

There is Phantom 3 4K - stay away from it, it's an overpriced Phantom 3 Standard with a better camera
The Phantom 3 Pro - this is an excellent drone

The Phantom 4 is far, far better than the P3 4K, and quite a bit batter than te Phantom 3 Pro

In either case, you are not forced to use 4k video, you can also choose 2.7k, 1080p etc.

Reactions: Motlock

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews