Hello, I am new and have a question on No Fly Zones

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading and research to make sure I fly safe and legal. I live in las vegas and there are three large airports. McCarran, North Las Vegas and Nellis AFB. I was looking at a web site called MapBox, and the three airport "No Fly Zones" cover just about the entire valley. I thought according to DJI the category A large airports were 5 Mile safe szone, 1.5 miles no fly and the rest was 35' to 400 feet. Also the category B were .6 miles no flay and that was it. What is the "current law" for FAA no fly zones. Also I have different apps I found that show different rings and some don't show the smaller airports at all. Thanks for the help.

If your firmware is updated and you haven't changed the default setting in Limits (in the Phantom software) then you should be OK. The Phantom won't take off or enter forbidden air space. But having said that, you shouldn't fly it in a city or within 5 miles of an airport, according to what I've read.

I have been doing a lot of reading and research to make sure I fly safe and legal. I live in las vegas and there are three large airports. McCarran, North Las Vegas and Nellis AFB. I was looking at a web site called MapBox, and the three airport "No Fly Zones" cover just about the entire valley. I thought according to DJI the category A large airports were 5 Mile safe szone, 1.5 miles no fly and the rest was 35' to 400 feet. Also the category B were .6 miles no flay and that was it. What is the "current law" for FAA no fly zones. Also I have different apps I found that show different rings and some don't show the smaller airports at all. Thanks for the help.

Where do you plan on flying? Have you thought about a flight plan?

That would be step 1 in flying your P3 especially where you are at.

Hello & welcome to the forums. There is not a no-fly zone but rules for flying whithin that 5 mile radius. Your going to want to get your information straight from the horses mouth... in this case the horses name is FAA :D - Model Aircraft Operations

There are lots of open dry lake beds around the valley as well as large parks that are far enough to from the air ports. I was just trying to understand how DJI can say one thing on the fly safe site and the FAA has a min of 5 miles no fly zone. According to DJI it is only 1.5 miles then a 35-400 foot window.

Did you look at the link I posted? You can fly within the 5 mile range by making a simple phone call to the tower to let them know when & where. You only need to notify, you are not asking for permission. Please read the FAA rules for hobby craft, it's in the link I posted last.

Did you look at the link I posted? You can fly within the 5 mile range by making a simple phone call to the tower to let them know when & where. You only need to notify, you are not asking for permission. Please read the FAA rules for hobby craft, it's in the link I posted last.

That is very true however the DJI software enforces the no fly zones by geofencing, it does not know the you have phoned the tower.

Alan

That is very true however the DJI software enforces the no fly zones by geofencing, it does not know the you have phoned the tower.

Alan
He has a P2, not a P3, there is also ATTI and if ya get right down to it he could pull the GPS cable from his unit. He also may not be using current firmware, there are many variables here.

If you go to the DJI website, No Flight Zone Map, you will find that McCarran, Henderson and Nellis are in red. I believe that the Phantom will not takeoff or fly within 5 miles of those airports. That leaves North Las Vegas and Boulder. I think this may be a mistake of the DJI database.
Theoretically, if you call and inform these last two airports, you should be able to fly. Just use common sense. I have landed at N. Las Vegas and the Tower folks are idiots and not helpful at all, so remember, you need only to inform, not ask permission. Just make sure that you stay away from any maned aircraft.
Ps: The folks at Nellis are absolutely great!

He has a P2, not a P3, there is also ATTI and if ya get right down to it he could pull the GPS cable from his unit. He also may not be using current firmware, there are many variables here.
Then isn't this the wrong forum, should he not have posted in the P2 forum and not the P3 Pro/Adv?

I have the P3 it arrived today. I am working on installing prop guards, lens filter, gamble protection support. Also of corse reading the manual and this forum. Lots of great help here.

Last edited:
Don't go by any of these apps.. They all inacurate and outdated.. Search for the official FAA no Fly Zone map or list...

Reactions: Sasquad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl