Has anyone used Drone Base?

I've done 17 pano missions so far and have only been paid for 4 of them (total $76). This seems low compared to what others have said in this forum.

How long does it typically take to get paid for missions and what payout percentage do you expect to get? Thanks

I've done 17 pano missions so far and have only been paid for 4 of them (total $76). This seems low compared to what others have said in this forum.

How long does it typically take to get paid for missions and what payout percentage do you expect to get? Thanks
Yeah, I just finished my 10th yesterday and have only been paid for one so far. Im still waiting on getting paid for the rated 10 mission I did last week. I also have the same question in the length of time between upload and payment.

I've worked for them for quite some time now. Unfortunately, the experience has not been pleasant in the long run. Shame on me.

At first the missions provided were good pay. Now it's a complete joke in my area. They ask you to fly in regulated airspace knowing all risk is on the pilot. FAA eventually is going to figure this out and pin point how they are getting images in areas that waivers are not being granted. My buddy says they told him to not worry and that he would never get tracked back to doing jobs in regulated airspace. Meaning they just want the jobs done no matter the risk.

Beware of this company. Seriously, as a part 107 holder, DroneBase only cares about DroneBase, period. This is not a rant, simply facts. Don't be the next FOOL willing to risk jail time, major fines, and negative outlook in the sUAS uprising.

I've done a very large amount of missions (well into triple digits), between residential panos and commercial panos and their client missions. The pay is crap though, maybe $25 bucks per job is the average since 50 percent (yes 50 percent) of my jobs have not been paid.

DroneBase cannot keep up with the amount of work turned in if you try to make this a full-time day job.

2 of my buddy's are going through this exact issue with DroneBase. We all signed up about the same time.

Last edited:
Company is funded by DJI so it's very possible - even probable - that they are paying out some small amounts to get people excited.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I go flying commercially for $25 or $50. Not to be snooty, but 20 years ago a service call on anything (to plug something in) was $75. Actually going somewhere and flying equipment and uploading stuff for that kind of money? No way.

I have a feeling that all this stuff is going to the lowest common denominator (people who will lose money doing it)...somewhat like the stock photo scene.
Perfectly stated.

Drone Base pilots - would you post the Drone Base typical recommended settings for Litchi IOS pano shots? I have started with P4 pano shots (and processing), would like a good starting base settings. I'm having trouble with the processing. Thanks!

simple....set Litchi Pano for the following;

Spherical pano
2 rows
15 shots per row.

Additionally, make sure your aspect ratio is set for 4:3 instead of 16:9

Also you don't have to process. Just upload .jpg files to DB and they'll do the rest.

simple....set Litchi Pano for the following;

Spherical pano
2 rows
15 shots per row.

Additionally, make sure your aspect ratio is set for 4:3 instead of 16:9

Also you don't have to process. Just upload .jpg files to DB and they'll do

12 shots per row, plus one nadris.

I've worked for them for quite some time now. Unfortunately, the experience has not been pleasant in the long run. Shame on me.

At first the missions provided were good pay. Now it's a complete joke in my area. They ask you to fly in regulated airspace knowing all risk is on the pilot. FAA eventually is going to figure this out and pin point how they are getting images in areas that waivers are not being granted. My buddy says they told him to not worry and that he would never get tracked back to doing jobs in regulated airspace. Meaning they just want the jobs done no matter the risk.

Beware of this company. Seriously, as a part 107 holder, DroneBase only cares about DroneBase, period. This is not a rant, simply facts. Don't be the next FOOL willing to risk jail time, major fines, and negative outlook in the sUAS uprising.

I've done a very large amount of missions (well into triple digits), between residential panos and commercial panos and their client missions. The pay is crap though, maybe $25 bucks per job is the average since 50 percent (yes 50 percent) of my jobs have not been paid.

DroneBase cannot keep up with the amount of work turned in if you try to make this a full-time day job.

2 of my buddy's are going through this exact issue with DroneBase. We all signed up about the same time.

This has not been my experience at all. Dronebase has never "asked" me to fly in regulated airspace. The pano missions are mapped from MLS listings. It is up to the pilot to determine the legality of the flight, as it should be. The client missions I have done always begin with Dronebase asking me to verify if the flight is allowed per FAA regs and have had no problem with me saying no. I have flown 13 panos and one client mission in two weeks. Got paid for seven of the panos and the client mission for a total of $235, all within three miles of my house, most within walking distance. I have two more client jobs Saturday for $250 and had to turn a $200 job down this week because of airspace restriction. For a source for easy side money, in between higher paying mapping jobs, DB is a decent deal.

I never figured out how to configure AutoPilot to the DroneBase requirements (2 rows of 12 + nadir).
Use the"custom setting" under the drop down menu where you choose the type of pano. Out is under the spherical 360 option.
no it's IOS, I was using it on a ipad mini 3. I took maybe 10 pics and the app just disappeared and it stopped taking pictures

i did two pano jobs this afternoon. They were close to other and on the same road. Took about 20 min to setup and get the pics.
Now to wait and see if they sell

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

This has not been my experience at all. Dronebase has never "asked" me to fly in regulated airspace. The pano missions are mapped from MLS listings. It is up to the pilot to determine the legality of the flight, as it should be. The client missions I have done always begin with Dronebase asking me to verify if the flight is allowed per FAA regs and have had no problem with me saying no. I have flown 13 panos and one client mission in two weeks. Got paid for seven of the panos and the client mission for a total of $235, all within three miles of my house, most within walking distance. I have two more client jobs Saturday for $250 and had to turn a $200 job down this week because of airspace restriction. For a source for easy side money, in between higher paying mapping jobs, DB is a decent deal.

You've been flying panos for 2 weeks. 1 client mission. You are I are on completely different levels.

You've been flying panos for 2 weeks. 1 client mission. You are I are on completely different levels.
I didn't claim to be on the same level. Just shared my experience.

Reactions: Stiggy
So I sent an email to DB explaining my frustration the other day and how I've put in time and effort into completing 10 missions for $19. Said I wasn't going to put more effort in if I wasn't going to see any money for it. No response yet, but oddly, the next day 5 of my panos sold at the same time. It was like a switch flipped (or DB just paid out money to keep my interest). Not sure, but I submitted 3 more yesterday. We'll see if the selling is consistent or only due to being a squeaky wheel.

I tried to use litchi twice to do a pano and both times the app just closed right in the middle of the flight, I can't trust it now. I did 4 pano's 2 to 3 weeks ago, I guess they still haven't sold 1 I haven't heard anything. Not holding out much hope

Last edited:
I'm the OP for this. I began this post somewhat skeptical of this service, but in the past few months I've learned quite a bit that might be helpful to some of you in the discussion.

I've said this before and I think it bears repeating...no one's gonna get rich working for DroneBase, even on the high end 'client' missions. However, it will help you increase your flight hours (something other clients will look for along with your part 107) and your experience in flying under less than perfect conditions.

I began with the 'panos'...residential and commercial but soon discovered that the commercial properties seemed to payout more often. Besides, I wasn't very happy with showing up at an occupied home, drone in hand asking clearance to shoot your house on 'spec'. I'm still not comfortable with that so I only do an occasional residential that's unoccupied.

After about a month and a half of doing 'panos', DB starting contacting me with 'up front' client missions. These pay much better, ($100-200) but they're also more work. More photos including surveys of the property (mostly commercial) from the 8 'cardinal directions' at two heights, 100' AGL and 350'AGL, along with various videos. Very often they involve strip malls and large commercial buildings with a lot of obstructions...power lines and surrounding trees that top out at 150' AGL. This is where I'm gaining a lot of experience flying and shooting in tight areas. I'm careful not to violate the 'don't fly over crowds of people' rule, but I cover my liability with insurance from 'Verifly'.

I've never had to take a job I didn't want. Truth is, I've only rejected a few, but I've had many that fell on bad weather. If it isn't safe, I abort, let DB know and we schedule another day...simple as that.

I also don't go more that a half hour away from the home office...anything further than that gets rejected

The client missions payout within a half hour or so after I upload the files, so even though it ain't much money, the client missions pay fast.

That said, I'm registered with a few of these 'find work' drone data bases and most ask you to bid on jobs with very little information...I bid, but I haven't heard a peep from any of them. Meanwhile DB continues to pay cash money to help me ramp up my flight hours and gain experience...so far, so good.

Thanks for all the info on DB. Think I may try a few and see how it pans out. Can anyone share the names of the other similar companies? Would be interesting to see how they work and what they have to offer. Thanks in advance!

I just got 3 emails that 3 of the 4 pano's I did a couple of weeks ago sold. $19 each. Like trevsdad said it's good experience and when your trying to build a portfolio that in itself is worth it. Before I got my 107 I was always trying to find a place to fly without getting run off. Now you just pull up in front of some property throw out your quad, look official, and go flying. I'm going to get a couple of magnetic car signs when I go out. I've go another client mission weekend after next that pays $200. It's a 50 mile trip but didn't take longer than 20 minutes and 1 battery with my P3P. If the wind lets up this weekend I'll go out and do some more pano's

just got paid for two jobs i uploaded Feb 13. Was starting to think they would never sell since it was a small town.
Got 25.00 for one and 19.00 for the other

Reactions: rstekeur
How do you find client jobs? There is a toolbar on the left side that you can use to filter results. I filtered out everything except "Client Mission" and "Mission Available" and even when I zoomed out to see the entire State of NJ, I didn't see any jobs pop up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3