Had My First Visitors Today!

I've flown for a month now, mainly at a local city park that's wide and open, with a nice little lake to practice taking stills with. I bring a portable chair and sit in an out-of-the-way location, nestled beneath a clump of trees, off the beaten path. So, I haven't had anyone come up inquiring about my Phantom. That changed today............... couple of guys walked up behind me, scared the crap out of me when one of them said sir?! Turns out it was 2 guys who work for the city, I saw their truck about the same time. They were getting ready to start fogging for mosquitoes, and wanted to let me know. There's a big 4th of July Festival happening there Saturday. I said thanks, about the same time they noticed my bird in front of me at maybe 50ft. Hey, is that a drone?! LOL! So I says yeah, and spent the next 15 minutes showing them and explaining everything and answering their questions. They said there was already talk at City Hall of getting one. Our city is 100K in population. I told them many fire and police depts are getting them. They said yeah, it would be perfect for crowd-checking at the Festival Saturday! I told them sure, if they were good pilots and put some prop-guards on it. And had insurance in case of an accident! I explained the safe-flying practices and FAA recommendations. As they left, one of them said, this is the highlight of my day, man! I stayed and flew 2 more batteries. Anyhoo......... just wanted to share my first visitor story!

Just don't forget that coverage from the AMA only kicks in after you exhaust your home owners insurance. I am not sure how it works if you don't own a home or have HO insurance.
AMA coverage is excess of any HO coverage you might have. If you don't...it is primary insurance. Just remember...any commercial use is excluded.

Reactions: Squirrel! and Ti22
This should be a sticky...

I've flown for a month now, mainly at a local city park that's wide and open, with a nice little lake to practice taking stills with. I bring a portable chair and sit in an out-of-the-way location, nestled beneath a clump of trees, off the beaten path. So, I haven't had anyone come up inquiring about my Phantom. That changed today............... couple of guys walked up behind me, scared the crap out of me when one of them said sir?! Turns out it was 2 guys who work for the city, I saw their truck about the same time. They were getting ready to start fogging for mosquitoes, and wanted to let me know. There's a big 4th of July Festival happening there Saturday. I said thanks, about the same time they noticed my bird in front of me at maybe 50ft. Hey, is that a drone?! LOL! So I says yeah, and spent the next 15 minutes showing them and explaining everything and answering their questions. They said there was already talk at City Hall of getting one. Our city is 100K in population. I told them many fire and police depts are getting them. They said yeah, it would be perfect for crowd-checking at the Festival Saturday! I told them sure, if they were good pilots and put some prop-guards on it. And had insurance in case of an accident! I explained the safe-flying practices and FAA recommendations. As they left, one of them said, this is the highlight of my day, man! I stayed and flew 2 more batteries. Anyhoo......... just wanted to share my first visitor story!

I fly down on the beach near where I live,I always stay away from other people,particular dog walkers,the dogs sometimes go crazy.I have had numerous people approach me, and always a very positive response.
Usually the same questions, how high can it go, what range, how much does it cost etc.
We should all go out of our way to be polite and show our sport in the best possible light, and I enjoy talking to the people who stop by.

I fly down on the beach near where I live,I always stay away from other people,particular dog walkers,the dogs sometimes go crazy.I have had numerous people approach me, and always a very positive response.
Usually the same questions, how high can it go, what range, how much does it cost etc.
We should all go out of our way to be polite and show our sport in the best possible light, and I enjoy talking to the people who stop by.

Do you have your VPS on? In case you don't know this, the ultrasonic sensors can heard by dogs and that is what tends to drive them crazy.

Do you have your VPS on? In case you don't know this, the ultrasonic sensors can heard by dogs and that is what tends to drive them crazy.
Thanks,I suppose I should have I known Ultrasonics upsets dogs, but thanks for the reminder, but in my case I fly a V2+ with no sensors.
The dogs always seem to rush at the bird when I am doing my pre-flight or when I am thinking of landing.
But whatever, I enjoy flying, and interacting with the public, and dog owners are usually OK, as always show respect, and all will be OK.

Just don't forget that coverage from the AMA only kicks in after you exhaust your home owners insurance. I am not sure how it works if you don't own a home or have HO insurance.
If there is no personal liability then AMA insurance would be primary coverage.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94