Had my 1st Fly away tonight! Never been so scared!

Based on my observations I currently have a working assumption that the Phantom has a limited, what I call "autonomous manoeuvring speed" which it uses for "Position Hold" in GPS mode and for RTH flying. I have observed it NOT being able to hold position in strong winds at higher altitude needing me to actively steer it upwind at a greater speed that its autonomous speed.

It makes (some) sense that its autonomous manoeuvring speed is less than its maximum speed. If it would encounter a building in its way when doing a RTH you wouldn't want it crashing through a window showering the people in that room with shards of glass and the occupants fighting a maniacal machine with four chopping propellers trying to carve them into little pieces. You'd prefer the Phantom to hit the window and fall to the ground damaging only itself.

I suspect the current implementation of the RTH algorithm isn't perfect. I'm inclined to favour an algorithm that would use GPS ground speed when manoeuvring autonomously instead of what I'm assuming currently is a maximum bank angle limiting only the air speed. As soon as the wind speed exceeds this autonomous air speed both Position Hold and RTH won't work anymore when having to fly upwind.

Only DJI knows for a fact how the Phantom behaves regarding these points with the current firmware. If only they told us.

I think if you're observing that it's too windy for the phantom to hold it's hover when you let go of the sticks, and you know the compass is calibrated well, it's probably best to bring it back in for a landing not be flying that day.

Maybe some people would disagree with me and trust that if signal gets lost it'll be able to fight through the wind and come home but I wouldn't want to have to go searching for it if the wind ends up carrying it away. I guess those people are braver than I am.

-Jeff.

Quadzilla sounds like the latest incarnation of cunningstuntflyer judging by the play on words name. The type of oersonal attacks fits with the other name. Ben is right you can get different wind speeds at different height(sometimes in different directions). It may be relatively calm at ground height and you can take of not knowing any better. No Necasarily wreckless in all cases

I agree, wind gradients can be steep, especially if your take off position is in the lee of some higher ground for example.

But I too go by the maxim "If you're not sure if it's too windy to fly, it's too windy to fly". I do have an anemometer in the flight case and I have set personal ground-level windspeed max average and gust readings over which I won't fly. Apart from the decreased flight time from fighting the wind and the slow RTH speed already mentioned it's no good for steady video and not much fun. If I'm close to my "limits" then I only operate upwind - that way any RTH is wind-assisted.

That evening it wasn't that windy but it could have been windy at the height I was flying. I did make sure I had the satellite lock before flying. I am however going to open my tx and make sure the mod ant is still connected ok. I am going to invest in that tracking device just in case I have a fly away and it lands in someones yard and a kid keeps it for a toy :)

It is my fragile duty to notify you all that we are no longer able to bask in the wit and wisdom of Quadzilla... May he rest in peace.

His wake will be held in the phone booth at the corner of Wilkerson and Main in Winslow Arizona. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the National Troll Rehab center, located under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco CA... :cry: :cry: :cry:

That is all...

-slinger

flyshasta said:
Prepare for another reincarnation...at least #4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep... He should be along shortly... :roll: :roll: :D

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl