Had my 1st Fly away tonight! Never been so scared!

Reaction score
This evening I was out flying my PV2. It was dark enough that I could see really see the under carriage lights. Normally when I have the wifi repeater plugged up until I am ready to fly and that could be a couple of days. My repeater was not fully charged. When I charge it and leave it unplugged for a day, it would lose it full charge. I don't know by how much but I could plug it up and it could take an hour for it to become fully charged again. After I flew on the first battery I went inside to burn some movies and then decided to fly on my 2nd battery. My neighbor's kids stopped to tell me that a boy at their school was telling everyone he saw a UFO and it had red flashing lights and he saw it hovering in one place. Normally when I fly in the neighbor hood, I fly it very high so you cannot hear it. Anyways I decided to fly it in that direction since it was now dark outside. Normally I fly in the opposite direction from my neighborhood into a open pasture. This time I flew it in the opposite direction towards all the surrounding neighborhoods and commercial businesses. When I saw my PV2 was out of range, I turned off my remote to get it to come back home. Nothing happened! I saw blinking yellow lights and it looked like it was drifting. I panicked! After failed attempts of turning my tx off and on, I ran inside to get my car keys in the hopes of following it so I can get close enough to hopefully gain control. I stopped a couple of times and hopped out of my car thinking I could get control and it didn't work. Now I am on a busy street trying to follow a flashing dot in the sky. In my mind I was already justifying losing a $1200 toy. Everything ran through my mind, why did I buy this thing, would someone call me if they find it, where would I possibly start to look for it tomorrow, why didn't I buy something cheaper.Everything went through my mind like I was having a near death experience.

Anyways I was able to gain control after I saw flashing red lights for a brief moment. The Pv2 was still a ways away and I couldn't tell if it was coming towards me or away. I didn't think I had enough battery power left to get it to me. I jumped back into my car and went a few streets over from where I was and was able to get directly under it. I regained control and now I have my PV2 back.

I made mods on my repeater and tx following the More Powerful Repeater Thread. On my first battery I was testing distance and got 2300'. This happened on my second battery. What could have caused this? Weak tx batteries perhaps? All I know is if this happened during the day, I would have definitely lost my PV2. I have never had any problems before. Also I see people flying in their suburban neighborhoods without any problems. I don't think I care to hit the mile mark with my PV2. From my house to the end point of where I regained control was about 1.5 miles :cool: :lol: :x :oops: :evil: :) I am still emotionally unstable :lol:

QuadZilla said:
Translation: sheltered, sedentary, overly dramatic and disconnected from reality first world problems.

A seriously sad read.

Why would you say I am sedentary and overly dramatic?

The first time I flew my P2V I got it up over 450 feet and was absolutely confident that this thing was bullet proof. It flew like an Angel and everything worked perfectly. We then ran into three weeks of crap weather and I was SO freakin' ready to get it up in the air again.

We FINALLY hit a decent day and I, being a total Newb, got it up in the air before it locked onto a home location via GPS. I noticed it was drifting with the wind and started playing with the TX to see what was up. Within a few seconds I was in trouble, drifting towards a forest, so I got it up to two hundred feet. In a heart beat it got behind some trees so I couldn't see it. I ran as fast as I could to get around the trees, and... It was nowhere in sight. It obviously didn't have a home lock. I was shaking. Then I saw a small speck in the sky and kept moving the stick around to figure out which input would get her closer. I finally saw the speck get a little bigger and managed to get her home just minutes before the battery ran down...

Thinking about this now, I'm still shaky...

I now have a very strict regimen that I follow EVERY time I fly. It's not bullet proof, but I'm always reasonably sure all systems are go before I put her up above 10 feet...

Live and learn...

-slinger

QuadZilla said:
Translation: sheltered, sedentary, overly dramatic and disconnected from reality first world problems.

A seriously sad read.

I have no idea who you are, but you just made my foe list...

gunslinger said:
The first time I flew my P2V I got it up over 450 feet and was absolutely confident that this thing was bullet proof. It flew like an Angel and everything worked perfectly. We then ran into three weeks of crap weather and I was SO freakin' ready to get it up in the air again.

We FINALLY hit a decent day and I, being a total Newb, got it up in the air before it locked onto a home location via GPS. I noticed it was drifting with the wind and started playing with the TX to see what was up. Within a few seconds I was in trouble, drifting towards a forest, so I got it up to two hundred feet. In a heart beat it got behind some trees so I couldn't see it. I ran as fast as I could to get around the trees, and... It was nowhere in sight. It obviously didn't have a home lock. I was shaking. Then I saw a small speck in the sky and kept moving the stick around to figure out which input would get her closer. I finally saw the speck get a little bigger and managed to get her home just minutes before the battery ran down...

Thinking about this now, I'm still shaky...

I now have a very strict regimen that I follow EVERY time I fly. It's not bullet proof, but I'm always reasonably sure all systems are go before I put her up above 10 feet...

Live and learn...

-slinger

Good stuff Slinger!

QuadZilla said:
gunslinger said:
QuadZilla said:

A seriously sad read.

Your fragility has been previously noted. And laughed at.

Add yet another instance of me laughing at your fragility.

Is it time for you to once again "take a break" because you struggle with the real world? So weak...

Frailty defined:

Hey Pete... Why don't you go back to your bike forums where you're so well loved...

viewtopic.php?t=6674&p=51484

viewtopic.php?t=6695&p=51549

Hey Pete... Why don't you go back to your bike forums where you're so well loved... It seems that no matter where you go, you're globally despised...

Nice chatting with you, yet again...

gunslinger said:
QuadZilla said:

A seriously sad read.

He made my foe list as well. I laugh at people like that. They live a life online that they can't live in real life so they become a bully or derogatory for no reason. Anyone can be tough online...SMH

mmotown said:
gunslinger said:
QuadZilla said:

A seriously sad read.

He made my foe list as well. I laugh at people like that. They live a life online that they can't live in real life so they become a bully or derogatory for no reason. Anyone can be tough online...SMH

This gentleman is Peter Fagerlin who was once logged in here as "dronepeter" . Do a little research on him and it's quite easy to discern that he's a very devoted troll. I currently find it impossible to take him seriously since he's so totally lacking in the social graces... They say that it takes all kinds. I'll take a pass on this particular species... thanks anyhow...

-slinger

This is for Peter Fagerlin...

I'm not even bothering to read your posts, since I have you on my foe list. I have, though... notified Adam that you've returned. So... You should create a new "gmail.com" address and open a new account here as soon as possible. Because this one is not long for this world...

Get a life...

-slinger...

QuadZilla said:
gunslinger said:

I'm not even bothering to read your posts, since I have you on my foe list. I have, though... notified Adam that you've returned. So... You should create a new "gmail.com" address and open a new account here as soon as possible. Because this one is not long for this world...

Get a life...

-slinger...

That is really funny Ms. Troll.

I've never used a gmail account to register for this forum, BTW. It's a good thing that you stopped reading my posts because they would make you even more uncomfortable than you are now. The truth hurts after all and fragile folks like you have a great deal of trouble with the truth.

Get a life indeed...what a sad excuse for an old codger you are. If you ever had a spine (very doubtful) it's obviously rotted away at this point based upon your whiny posts.

Cheers!

Queenzilla you're a trip. Change your rag!

QuadZilla said:
gunslinger said:

Get a life...

-slinger...

That is really funny Ms. Troll.

I've never used a gmail account to register for this forum, BTW. It's a good thing that you stopped reading my posts because they would make you even more uncomfortable than you are now. The truth hurts after all and fragile folks like you have a great deal of trouble with the truth.

Get a life indeed...what a sad excuse for an old codger you are. If you ever had a spine (very doubtful) it's obviously rotted away at this point based upon your whiny posts.

Cheers!

I don't know you either, but it is very clear that you are a troll, or a moron studying hard to be an idiot but failing miserably. I guess you consider yourself a wit, a halfwit perhaps, and that is being generous. I also will add you to my foe list, for no other reason than being an irritating bore.

mmotown said:
This evening I was out flying my PV2. It was dark enough that I could see really see the under carriage lights. Normally when I have the wifi repeater plugged up until I am ready to fly and that could be a couple of days. My repeater was not fully charged. When I charge it and leave it unplugged for a day, it would lose it full charge. I don't know by how much but I could plug it up and it could take an hour for it to become fully charged again. After I flew on the first battery I went inside to burn some movies and then decided to fly on my 2nd battery. My neighbor's kids stopped to tell me that a boy at their school was telling everyone he saw a UFO and it had red flashing lights and he saw it hovering in one place. Normally when I fly in the neighbor hood, I fly it very high so you cannot hear it. Anyways I decided to fly it in that direction since it was now dark outside. Normally I fly in the opposite direction from my neighborhood into a open pasture. This time I flew it in the opposite direction towards all the surrounding neighborhoods and commercial businesses. When I saw my PV2 was out of range, I turned off my remote to get it to come back home. Nothing happened! I saw blinking yellow lights and it looked like it was drifting. I panicked! After failed attempts of turning my tx off and on, I ran inside to get my car keys in the hopes of following it so I can get close enough to hopefully gain control. I stopped a couple of times and hopped out of my car thinking I could get control and it didn't work. Now I am on a busy street trying to follow a flashing dot in the sky. In my mind I was already justifying losing a $1200 toy. Everything ran through my mind, why did I buy this thing, would someone call me if they find it, where would I possibly start to look for it tomorrow, why didn't I buy something cheaper.Everything went through my mind like I was having a near death experience.

Anyways I was able to gain control after I saw flashing red lights for a brief moment. The Pv2 was still a ways away and I couldn't tell if it was coming towards me or away. I didn't think I had enough battery power left to get it to me. I jumped back into my car and went a few streets over from where I was and was able to get directly under it. I regained control and now I have my PV2 back.

I made mods on my repeater and tx following the More Powerful Repeater Thread. On my first battery I was testing distance and got 2300'. This happened on my second battery. What could have caused this? Weak tx batteries perhaps? All I know is if this happened during the day, I would have definitely lost my PV2. I have never had any problems before. Also I see people flying in their suburban neighborhoods without any problems. I don't think I care to hit the mile mark with my PV2. From my house to the end point of where I regained control was about 1.5 miles :cool: :lol: :x :oops: :evil: :) I am still emotionally unstable :lol:

Pretty scary I bet!

I agree with Gunslinger, sat lock is fundamental. This is the way I see it: If the system is designed to return home as a failsafe mechanism it is then important for the system to know where home is. This however does not make it the cause of your problem but a possibility to say the least.

Also, mods add fun to the hobby but I am not really a big fan of modding sensitive parts like TX, RX and such. Don't mind messing with a gimbal or motors but modding a TX always opens up a risk.

What I suggest is. Go in to your naza and program your s2 to have "manual Mode" in it. go out and test your RTH by switching your TX off not by selecting in on s2 switch. Test it close by a a couple of times, that way you know it works fine, if you see a fly away coming during your tests switch to manual, not easy to fly but you at least have a chance at recovery.

Hope this helps.

I will go and do that and see what the results are. Thanks for bringing this topic back on track

Were you flying downwind? How strong was the wind? It's unclear whether you had waited for adequate GPS lock and Home Point setting but if you had and it didn't seem to do a RTH when you lost contact/switched the Tx off this might be caused by a strong wind (at that altitude) the Phantom isn't able to overcome at its autonomous manoeuvring speed it uses during RTH which is much lower than its maximum speed. It almost certainly is limited to a maximum bank angle during autonomous manoeuvring. It could be argued a maximum GPS ground speed would be better for overcoming strong winds.

Do not be fooled by wind speed at ground level. Especially in an urban setting where houses and trees slow down the wind. As soon as you go higher up wind speed can increase significantly. Personally I don't like to fly downwind of my position unless I keep it low and close.

Fear of a fly away is exactly why I invested in a TK102B GPS Tracker - £35 plus a free pay as you go sim card from O2. It works like a dream, and gives me confidence that if my Phantom does make a bid for freedom I have that much more chance of getting it back :D

I just looked the TK102B GPS Tracker on Amazon, can you post a picture of how you have yours mounted? Not sure by judging by the picture if it is too big. Thanks!

Can't upload a pic at the moment - don't know why. I used 3M command medium picture hangers to mount the tracker under the battery compartment. There's enough room, and the camera is able to move freely. I do have to remove the tracker every time I remove the battery, but with this Velcro type fastening it's no problem.

gunslinger said:
QuadZilla said:

A seriously sad read.

What was the user named spontaneous or something like that ? His writing style fits the same profile. With the join date and the disappearance of the other... hummmmm

QuadZilla said:
F6Rider said:
QuadZilla said:
I don't know you either, but it is very clear that you are a troll, or a moron studying hard to be an idiot but failing miserably. I guess you consider yourself a wit, a halfwit perhaps, and that is being generous. I also will add you to my foe list, for no other reason than being an irritating bore.

I hope this helps you feel better. Again. Really.

**** you for making laugh at your expense once again. You're incorrigible.

QuadZilla- you are a ****! Goodbye.

Big Ben said:
Were you flying downwind? How strong was the wind? It's unclear whether you had waited for adequate GPS lock and Home Point setting but if you had and it didn't seem to do a RTH when you lost contact/switched the Tx off this might be caused by a strong wind (at that altitude) the Phantom isn't able to overcome at its autonomous manoeuvring speed it uses during RTH which is much lower than its maximum speed. It almost certainly is limited to a maximum bank angle during autonomous manoeuvring. It could be argued a maximum GPS ground speed would be better for overcoming strong winds.

Do not be fooled by wind speed at ground level. Especially in an urban setting where houses and trees slow down the wind. As soon as you go higher up wind speed can increase significantly. Personally I don't like to fly downwind of my position unless I keep it low and close.

So does this mean that the RTH function only works if there is relatively low wind? I hadn't heard that before - I thought that the phantom would compensate for wind speed in the same way when it hovers in high wind conditions without any input from the pilot.

I don't think the RTH comes back at maximum SPEED, but I would think that it would make adjustments to the thrust to compensate for the windspeed (within reason, obviously if it's too windy it can't overcome it).

Basically, I think that if the phantom is able to overcome the wind enough to hover, I think it can overcome it enough to enable RTH.

Is that accurate?

-Jeff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj