Had a bad day doing what I enjoy most.

Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Tony K.

I don't post much but I don't miss much either. This Forum keeps me up to date and I am glad to be a small part of the growing industry. I'm an old man, like to dabble, work with my hands and it has always been fun. Until today. You know I hear this pilot and that pilot talk about how someone ruined there day of flying. We have all heard the stories.

This morning started out great. Everything is all charged and ready to go. Inspected the Bird, checked the recent update, called the Airport, checked the area I would be flying before hand. So I figure, why not take the drone out, take a few Pano's for this company I'm hearing about that offers DJI pilots an opportunity to maybe earn a little extra cash. (The name of the company doesn't seem to be relevant.)

Next time I read about how one of us are approached and basically Accosted by a complete stranger. I’ll feel your pain. It did something to me. Hurt my feelings? It was more than that. I don't have the words for it, not trying to be dramatic. But having this guy come up, get in my face and not stop yelling, what was I doing he is saying over and over. This guys pissed, I calmly ask to be given a second so that I can bring the bird in. He is still going at full blast. "Your spying he says." It is around two in the afternoon. "How do I know you didn't go look to see what was in my back yard."

My hands are shaking, "you don't belong here, you don't belong in this neighborhood.” (I chose this area because I live two blocks away) and I explain that. I also offer to let him see the photos that I had taken. No, he's not listening. Asks me if I have a license or if the drone is registered. I pull my wallet out, I'm shaking, having a difficult time getting into my wallet. Maybe he's going to? Who the **** knows ? Seems these days, anything is possible. I didn't want to be that guy on the news that gets shot and killed over a fun time out with my Bird. Not only would it be bad publicity for us and our drones. . . Dead is no good either.

I explain to this guy that he is too close for comfort. I am upset and uncomfortable, to stop threating me. I ask him to move away. He's still in my face but now he is taking photos of me with his phone. Going to put me on Facebook, great he has my name from the ID that I had shown him. WTF

At this point, I've had enough. I get my phone and I dial 911. Finally, he turns to leave and return to his home. I'm now noticing that this guy lives half a block away. I'm tripping because he had come all that distance. PD hasn’t arrived yet and here he comes again. Enough, I'll stop ranting, I just walked in the door, hurt, upset, offended, and I had to vent somehow. wew . . .

Thanks fellow pilots for listening.

(Now do I post this?) I still feel like crap.

This is why I stick to open fields and vacant lots.

When I first started flying I would take it out to a local school with lots of open space. Just a few blocks from my home. The school, however, was surrounded by homes. One evening as I was driving home I turned down one of the streets with homes that backed up to the school yard. Crazy Lady jumps out in front of my car taking pictures of my license plates. Camera in one hand, phone in the other. I assume she was calling the police. I calmly backed up, turned around and drove away.

A week later the police were knocking on my door. Turns out Crazy Lady had a restraining order taken out on her ex and thought he had hired me to spy on her. Once the officer was convinced I was a hobbyist and did not know her ex-husband, he thanked me for my cooperation and promised I would not be bothered again with this matter.

I was upset, but I got over it and you will, too. It's a highly misunderstood hobby, mostly thanks to a few idiots and the media who love to create drama by blowing things out of proportion.

Needless to say, I don't fly there anymore. Too many people out there have the wrong impression so I avoid people and residential locations as much as possible.

Hey Buddy,
First, you've done nothing wrong!
Secondly, you are legal
3rd you offered your footage, name and I'd numbers ( to prove the guy is INSANE )
And lastly
SCREW HIM ! You did more than I would have! he would have a knuckle sandwich for supper, and dentures for dessert!o_O

You CANNOT let some jerk, make you feel bad, PERIOD! This is a fool, you don't even know, have done nothing too, you live there for crying out loud!
So he means ZILCH to you, and neither should his idiotic rant!:)

Smile,
And be glad that guy is NOT YOU!:)

( personally, I get joy, making others mad!( when I'm in the right ) But I'm strange like that, I laugh at their stupidity, and feel relieved that I'm not that person, and never will be! )

I live by a single motto:
( I HOPE someone DONT like it! ) period!

Life is too darn short to waste your time on morons like THAT guy, use this time to edit the footage you took, so WE may enjoy the flight with you!

Make a positive from the negative!;)
Honestly:
( this guy has nothing better to do than try to make others miserable like himself! ) NOT this time Pal!
All he will achieve is , high blood pressure, stroke and heart attack! I love it!:D

J Dot
:cool:
( just my 2 cents! )
But you did the right thing! Keeping your cool!:cool:

Neighbour upset for flying next to his property.

Know your rights.
You don't and should not respond to people like this.
You don't owe this jerk any explanation at all, not a word, nothing.
Dial 911. Report an assault.

Assault. At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm.

Last edited:
j Dot
Hollow Dog
1tomany

Thanks, a lot. . I'm still at a loss, just sitting here, Yeah! Edit footage!

Tommy. Yeah PD showed. Kept asking the guy why he was so upset at me. The guy couldn't say. PD told the guy he needed to find a different approach in these kind of matters.

Hey all, my name is Tony K.

I don't post much but I don't miss much either. This Forum keeps me up to date and I am glad to be a small part of the growing industry. I'm an old man, like to dabble, work with my hands and it has always been fun. Until today. You know I hear this pilot and that pilot talk about how someone ruined there day of flying. We have all heard the stories.

This morning started out great. Everything is all charged and ready to go. Inspected the Bird, checked the recent update, called the Airport, checked the area I would be flying before hand. So I figure, why not take the drone out, take a few Pano's for this company I'm hearing about that offers DJI pilots an opportunity to maybe earn a little extra cash. (The name of the company doesn't seem to be relevant.)

Next time I read about how one of us are approached and basically Accosted by a complete stranger. I’ll feel your pain. It did something to me. Hurt my feelings? It was more than that. I don't have the words for it, not trying to be dramatic. But having this guy come up, get in my face and not stop yelling, what was I doing he is saying over and over. This guys pissed, I calmly ask to be given a second so that I can bring the bird in. He is still going at full blast. "Your spying he says." It is around two in the afternoon. "How do I know you didn't go look to see what was in my back yard."

My hands are shaking, "you don't belong here, you don't belong in this neighborhood.” (I chose this area because I live two blocks away) and I explain that. I also offer to let him see the photos that I had taken. No, he's not listening. Asks me if I have a license or if the drone is registered. I pull my wallet out, I'm shaking, having a difficult time getting into my wallet. Maybe he's going to? Who the **** knows ? Seems these days, anything is possible. I didn't want to be that guy on the news that gets shot and killed over a fun time out with my Bird. Not only would it be bad publicity for us and our drones. . . Dead is no good either.

I explain to this guy that he is too close for comfort. I am upset and uncomfortable, to stop threating me. I ask him to move away. He's still in my face but now he is taking photos of me with his phone. Going to put me on Facebook, great he has my name from the ID that I had shown him. WTF

At this point, I've had enough. I get my phone and I dial 911. Finally, he turns to leave and return to his home. I'm now noticing that this guy lives half a block away. I'm tripping because he had come all that distance. PD hasn’t arrived yet and here he comes again. Enough, I'll stop ranting, I just walked in the door, hurt, upset, offended, and I had to vent somehow. wew . . .

Thanks fellow pilots for listening.

(Now do I post this?) I still feel like crap.
Yes been there and it dont feel nice at all,im full of info but when someone does that it stumps you and hard to react or speak when they in your comfort zone,he in the wrong for goin off while your still flying,that could end bad,pick yourself up again get back on that horse,drive to the next park , all the best for future flights and take care. Also could try the white shirt &high vis vest & hardhat..;)

I’m sorry for your troubles, it’s part of the program. Today I was shooting the local Safeway as I was hired to do when the security guard comes and told me to leave with an attitude. I told him what i was doing, he said he hadn’t been informed of it. I said that’s because I don’t work for you.

I handed him my license and said I’m an faa licensed remote pilot. He handed my license back and said have a nice day.

Last edited:
Another time I was shooting a commercial warehouse when a lady from the subdivision next door came and started yelling at me. I explained that I’m a real estate photographer and unless she wants to pony up $120 per hour her property would not be in the shot. She went away satisfied. I never fly around town unless it’s work for this reason.

Reactions: charlieb4
Neighbour upset for flying next to his property.

Know your rights.
You don't and should not respond to people like this.
You don't owe this jerk any explanation at all, not a word, nothing.
Dial 911. Report an assault.

Assault. At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm.
Sort of right, but mostly wrong. Unless you are planning a civil suit and don't care about damages. And are willing to pay thousands of dollars to accomplish nothing of measurable value.

Sort of right, but mostly wrong. Unless you are planning a civil suit and don't care about damages. And are willing to pay thousands of dollars to accomplish nothing of measurable value.

Please explain how not engaging and calling law to report an assault has anything to do with "planning a civil suit" and "damages"?
Are you sure you read all the words in the post?

The link is just a reference to a similar post the OP may be interested in.

I am very sorry that happened to you, but let me teach you a very important trick that may help you. So I live on the back of a lake , and many times I have flown in my back yard over the lake and since I do not have a sign to hold up saying this is my back yard , the cops come. They start some small talk and how they would like to own a drone and think they would be a lot of fun, and sometimes I show them the video , but eventually they get around to asking if I own this property , 9 times out of 10 I say yes they walk away but sometimes they want some proof so I tell them after I finish my flight will go up to the house together , its a pain in the *** , never happens when its raining outside, go figure.

So I ask this cop one day what If I did not own the property but I wanted to fly my drone from here what should I do, the answer caught me off guard but It has proven to be very effective

He told me to call the police and let them know I will be flying my drone from lets say bay point docking area and let them know that and he went on to explain the reason why you want to do this is so when we get a call , we can immediately tell them that they were made aware of the situation and 9 times out of 10 the person who called will just not press the issue and if they do, than they will send a cop over and they will explain that there was a complaint and after the drone is returned back to land leave.

This one hot tip form the cop , changed how we go about flying anywhere now , the moment someone asks me about flying anywhere, I let them know that I filed a report with the cops letting them know I would be filming for 45 minutes under the bride at the dock.

This has solved just about every issue we have had except for one , turns out the US coast Gaurd does not want you flying anyone near there head quarters in Lorain Ohio , cops or no cops despite that we were in a boat . lol

I hope that helps you next time you get accosted , and if the cops tell you that you cannot fly , than you just dont fly but that has only happened once when we were filming at the back of the house and they had a pancake festival at the memorial center near the lake and so flying was off limits to everyone including me the home owner. Sometimes its just best to just go with it than battle this is my yard.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
second.gif

Reactions: Nesher and Member
Under no circumstances would I identify myself to an out of control person. If he ask if I was "licensed" or was UAV was registred, I would tell him "yes" and if he persisted to know more, would tell him I would identify to an FAA agent inspector or law enforcement officer if he wanted to call one or if I had to. He has no need to know who you are in his mental state. Let an official work it out.

(that way if I had to cold **** him, he would not know who to file on or post to facebook) Would have definitely have made call to local police under these circumstances

Please explain how not engaging and calling law to report an assault has anything to do with "planning a civil suit" and "damages"?
Are you sure you read all the words in the post?

The link is just a reference to a similar post the OP may be interested in.
Because what you referred to as assault is assault in the traditional common law usage that retains some measure of validity in terms of a civil suit. But on the criminal side, the part the police care about, not so much. Furthermore, without evidence, the police are unlikely to make an arrest at the scene. In fact, if it is a misdemeanor, and didn't occur in thier presence, they may not even have the authority to do so.

Because what you referred to as assault is assault in the traditional common law usage that retains some measure of validity in terms of a civil suit. But on the criminal side, the part the police care about, not so much. Furthermore, without evidence, the police are unlikely to make an arrest at the scene. In fact, if it is a misdemeanor, and didn't occur in thier presence, they may not even have the authority to do so.

Let me clarify this for you so you don't overthink this simple solution.
The idea is not to engage somebody that's being belligerent and bothering you.
To call the police and have them remove them.
Nothing more needs to be accomplished than this.
I thought it was pretty self-explanatory when I put it down but apparently not.
Now you know.
Further straw man arguments are not required.

Last edited:
So you live 2 blocks away.
I guess I'm just an old cod that don't like to be pushed around.
If he was 2 blocks away from me I would make him so unhappy from all the missions I would send my drone on around his property daily. I would find out when he leaves for work. mission on at that time for sure. Here in Florida it is a stand your ground state. If he showed up at my home I will stand my ground

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor