H3-3D waving, vibrations effect

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Phantom 2 with H3-3D v1.0 gimbal and Gopro Hero 3 Plus Black Edition.
Sometimes I have problems with waving, vibrations effect.
I have all upgrades made from Phantom Assistant and the newest GoPro firmware v2.00
I made GPS calibration, and IMU Basic Calibration (Basic Cali).

Example film is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgTWcDKKYns

Could you give me any suggestions?
Maybe this is a problem of the rubbers. I have mounted the white one rubbers (soft).

Best Regards,
Tomasz

4wd said:
Balancing the props will help, it doesn't look too bad.
I think you are getting vibration when the motor works harder in a gust of wind.

That's horrible jello. Are you viewing on a phone screen or something equally as small?

It's not related to how hard the motor is working, it's caused by too much vibration reaching the camera and the camera's rolling shutter.

Solutions:

-change dampers
-install anti-interference board
-ensure that the gimbal yaw motor is not touching the battery
-add a ND filter
-increase to 60fps

verisimilitude said:
4wd said:
Balancing the props will help, it doesn't look too bad.
I think you are getting vibration when the motor works harder in a gust of wind.

That's horrible jello. Are you viewing on a phone screen or something equally as small?

It's not related to how hard the motor is working, it's caused by too much vibration reaching the camera and the camera's rolling shutter.

Solutions:

-change dampers
-install anti-interference board
-ensure that the gimbal yaw motor is not touching the battery
-add a ND filter
-increase to 60fps

+1 - especially the white dampners and Neutral Density filter

I have the original P2 and installed the H3-3D Gimbal with a custom spacer plate I made. The motor is nowhere near touching the battery. I'm also using a GoPro Black+ and the latest firmware on everything. I had a slight vibration on the video using the White balls. I tried the Grey Balls which did not make any difference. I ended up using the Hard Black Balls from my H3-2D Gimbal which seem to be a tad bit better but still have a slight vibration. Trying to balance P2 props is more trouble then it's worth. It is very difficult to get a consistent result using a DuBro Prop Balancer and a reverse threaded rod for the P2 props. The props are just too light to begin with.

I've noticed that the vibration is worse when shooting straight down.

Ultimately I would like to discover what exactly is the origin of the vibration on the P2. Too many people using this above setup are experiencing the effects from a vibration so it's most likely not a prop issue but rather something inherent to the P2.

Thoughts?

Xrover said:
I have the original P2 and installed the H3-3D Gimbal with a custom spacer plate I made. The motor is nowhere near touching the battery. I'm also using a GoPro Black+ and the latest firmware on everything. I had a slight vibration on the video using the White balls. I tried the Grey Balls which did not make any difference. I ended up using the Hard Black Balls from my H3-2D Gimbal which seem to be a tad bit better but still have a slight vibration. Trying to balance P2 props is more trouble then it's worth. It is very difficult to get a consistent result using a DuBro Prop Balancer and a reverse threaded rod for the P2 props. The props are just too light to begin with.

Ultimately I would like to discover what exactly is the origin of the vibration on the P2. Too many people using this above setup are experiencing the effects from a vibration so it's most likely not a prop issue but rather something inherent to the P2.

Thoughts?
I'd like to know too. I had a 3D a couple of weeks ago and had a ton of issues with it, crazy jello and crazy audio tone on my footage which resulted in visible jello like video interference. After extensive testing (including bypassing everything which may have caused interference) I sent the unit back to my supplier who then tested it on a new P2 with pre-cut hole... they experienced zero jello and zero audio tone (with no interference board attached) – they sent me the footage, it was flawless.

Either DJI did something different with the internals of the newer Phantom 2, or something else is amiss. Am I right in thinking most of the issues are with us original P2 owners? On the whole, the gimbal seems flawed with it's strange startup glitches and general noisy buzzing / vibration. I'm convinced it's this that is causing the jello, not any dampening related stuff, although this still doesn't explain why a newer P2 would be issue free. Apparently people who bought the 2D last year for the first few batches had similar jello problems.

I'm hoping they get these hardware / software issues resolved soon. I'm holding back before buying another one an even thinking of going back to a 2D... aside from natural yaw issues from the lack of the 3rd axis, my footage was always perfect.

EDIT: just a thought, this may sound obvious now I think about it, but maybe the third axis is just naturally more prone to vibration?

For what it's worth, coming from a total newb. I had a similar jello effect with my first flights with my P2. Was disappointed as I followed DJI's H3-3D install instructions to a t and was flying in 0 wind. I then tried putting the spare foam pads that came with my p2 for the legs between the Zenmuse and the P2 as spacers. That helped some. Then I installed the anti-interference board it was totally gone.

Xrover said:

Thoughts?

This is interesting.
I believe it is prop related.

Reason being, I use an FC40 with a walkera gimbal and stock props.
Smooth as butter!

Then I got vision props. Slight vibration!!! I tried a mess of different gains with no real results.

I put the stock props back on, butter again!

Just last night I "tried" to balance the vision props the best I could. Instead of sanding, I used tape on the underside. All the props barely needed any tape on it. Unfortunately it was storming today, so I didnt get a chance to test it.

But this is why I feel its a prop issue.

I would like to see someone with a P2 switch to P1 props and reduce the gains to P1 gains and see if you still have vibration. That would be the ultimate test

there is an interference filter board that comes with the H3-3D, do you have it installed?
just checkin

tszymane said:
Hi,

I have Phantom 2 with H3-3D v1.0 gimbal and Gopro Hero 3 Plus Black Edition.
Sometimes I have problems with waving, vibrations effect.
I have all upgrades made from Phantom Assistant and the newest GoPro firmware v2.00
I made GPS calibration, and IMU Basic Calibration (Basic Cali).

Example film is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgTWcDKKYns

Could you give me any suggestions?
Maybe this is a problem of the rubbers. I have mounted the white one rubbers (soft).

Best Regards,
Tomasz

I have the same setup (perhaps v1.1 of the gimbal). Added the prop guards today to see that I now have jello. Plan to experiment again tomorrow to confirm prop guards are the cause.

First case of rolling shutter today. Bright sun 2.7k/30, ND filter and blowing 15 with gusts over 25. I have never had jello with this setup before.

Thought it might be the FPV TX touching the lower plate. Nope.

Noticed a half circle imprint from the yaw motor on both batteries. Also noticed some rubbing on the cutout in the bottom of the shell. Removed the plastic from the battery and widened DJI's hole (no pun intended) to prevent contact.

Hopefully that will fix the yaw motor contact and vibration.

Get yourself the DJI Spacer Plate for the Gimbal. It comes with slightly taller landing skids also. Only $15.00 It totally clears the battery and the bottom of the Shell. It's called DJI Part No. 10

Picked up mine today.

Xrover said:
Get yourself the DJI Spacer Plate for the Gimbal. It comes with slightly taller landing skids also. Only $15.00 It totally clears the battery and the bottom of the Shell. It's called DJI Part No. 10

Picked up mine today.

No need for that as I have the P2 that came with the H3-3D including the taller gear.

Xrover said:
And it included the spacer plate?

It did include a plate specific to the P2 shell that was pre-drilled for the H3-3D. The mounting hole pattern is different than the early generation of p2 shells.

Why would I buy that kit when I've already fixed the contact issue, already have the taller landing gear, and it won't fit my P2?

bzpop said:
there is an interference filter board that comes with the H3-3D, do you have it installed?
just checkin

I believe this is a separate issue, check some other threads.... not sure what the conclusion was, but I thought the anti-interference filter was for the downlink...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl