H3-3D on a F550

Reaction score
My buddy has a P2 with H3-3D and the gimbal is pretty impressive. According to the DJI website the H3-3D is compatible with all DJI controllers except the Naza Lite. I have the Naza M-V2. Is there anything else that is needed to use this new gimbal with my set up?

ericty said:
My buddy has a P2 with H3-3D and the gimbal is pretty impressive. According to the DJI website the H3-3D is compatible with all DJI controllers except the Naza Lite. I have the Naza M-V2. Is there anything else that is needed to use this new gimbal with my set up?

The correct mount!! The current mount on the P2 will not work on the F550 unless you cut an opening to allow for clearance of the 3rd servo motor on the gimbal ....based on the photos I've seen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My understanding is you need the correct gcu - which isn't available yet. I'm waiting on it too.

FangsCPO said:
The correct mount!! The current mount on the P2 will not work on the F550 unless you cut an opening to allow for clearance of the 3rd servo motor on the gimbal ....based on the photos I've seen.

Thanks Fangs. The mount I have on my 550 will have no problem with clearance.

ericty said:
FangsCPO said:

Thanks Fangs. The mount I have on my 550 will have no problem with clearance.

What mount do you have? You'll still need a GCU for it. I saw the H3-D3 in stock at B&H. Is that one ready to go with GCU?

Nice! I wonder what his flying times are with those landing skids. They look heavy. So I now have a 7 channel Spektrum radio. For this gimbal I would have to have an a 8 Channel radio. Right??

FangsCPO said:
Nice! I wonder what his flying times are with those landing skids. They look heavy. So I now have a 7 channel Spektrum radio. For this gimbal I would have to have an a 8 Channel radio. Right??

Depending on what type of battery he's running I'm going to guess his is similar to mine - max 6:30 minutes :x

Oh no....no way on that choice.

FangsCPO said:
I saw the H3-D3 in stock at B&H. Is that one ready to go with GCU?

That one doesn't include the GCU (if it is the one I ordered). The price was right when it was backordered (cheaper than a new H3-2D at most places) so I bought one and it is arriving tomorrow. I was intending to put it on my rebuilt P2 that I managed to cram into a tree. Might check to see if the H3-2D controller will work with it first, though. If it does, I might put it on my 810 and take the 810 2D gimbal and put it on the P2.

If it does great!!! I have a spare GCU. That way I can mount the H3-D2 on my Phantom and the H3-D3 on my F550.

I got the H3-3D in today and decided to replace the H3-2D on the Tarot. For all purposes, this is the same as the 550. I used the 2D GCU.

Had to make a standoff for the frame. Made it out of some PVC. Looks like this:

Didn't want to carve up my decks on the 810 so I tied it with zip ties. Looks like this:

It seems to work - haven't flight tested it, though. Raining right now.

Attachments

• h3-d3 2 - small.jpg
    h3-d3 2 - small.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 617
  • h3-d3 1 - small.jpg
    h3-d3 1 - small.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 669
Nice!!! Looking forward to your report. Curiosity question.......I currently have a DX7s, if I want to get the full effect from the 3 axis gimbal, am I'm going to need a 8 channel radio?

FangsCPO said:
Nice!!! Looking forward to your report. Curiosity question.......I currently have a DX7s, if I want to get the full effect from the 3 axis gimbal, am I'm going to need a 8 channel radio?

It currently is built for the P2 - that is a 7 channel so... nope. Your DX7 should work. I plugged it into the 810 and right now I am only using 7 channels and it seems to be working. Will know tomorrow!

The H3-3D gimbal worked fine on the Tarot using the H3-2D controller. I'm getting some jello so I need to figure out what the heck that is about. Other than that, it works!

ladykate said:
The H3-3D gimbal worked fine on the Tarot using the H3-2D controller. I'm getting some jello so I need to figure out what the heck that is about. Other than that, it works!

Could it be the white dampeners that you used.....too soft? Good to know that it works on the H3-2D controller. I hope that's not causing the jello affect you are getting....or maybe it's the pvc you used to assist with mounting the gimbal.

FangsCPO said:
ladykate said:

Could it be the white dampeners that you used.....too soft? Good to know that it works on the H3-2D controller. I hope that's not causing the jello affect you are getting....or maybe it's the pvc you used to assist with mounting the gimbal.

The jello was on the 2D, too. I will look at the props and then mount the whole thing back a little if the props are balanced. Then replace the dampeners. It isn't terrible but I can see it.

Jello licked. ;-}

I put the black dampeners on and, at the last minute, changed out a prop that had a slight burr on the tip. Since the props I'm using all turn up just a tad on the end, it was easy to overlook. I doubt it was the cause but I did it anyway.

While going through a thorough preflight, I noticed the bell housing on one motor had some play in it (up and down). The others didn't. I ordered another motor as a backup but it flew fine today. I was hoping it wasn't the cause of the jello since I want to fly it this weekend and the motor won't be here until next week.

Very nice video now - with an H3-3D...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl