h3-3d not quite level on the Y axis

Reaction score
I have a new Zenmuse h3-2d gimbal that is working perfectly with one exception. I noticed in my videos that the horizon is not quite level. It seems to be tilted probably no more than 2 degrees. It's easy enough to fix post processing, but I wonder if there is a way to calibrate the gimbal. I have seen some mention of a separate assistant software for the gimbal but have not been able to find. Also saw some mention of connecting the gimbal (not the phantom) to the PC. I have no clue how that is done, if it can be done. As I say, this is not an earth shattering problem, but it would be nice if I could figure out what I could do to level up the horizon.

BTW, i did look through the posts on this site but did not find anything that addressed this in a specific way. Sorry if I missed it.

G'day Mate.
I believe it could be the fact that the lense on the gopro is not centred.It is offset to the left so I noticed on my recordings that my prop guard on the left side seems slightly larger than the right and this visual effect makes it seem that the camera is tilted.I don't think you are able rectify this with a calibration however someone else my have a solution or another suggestion.good luck and post a result to your issue.

Thanks for the reponse. I am not currently using prop guards. It is evident in shots were the horizon (or some other horizontal surface) is visible, that the camera is tilted by 2 degrees. I may try adding a tiny bit of weight to see if that tricks the gyros into compensating in the right direction. As I said, I can fix in post process, but that reduces the overall size of the image.

Thanks again.

Hi there,
Any luck in finding a solution? I'm having the same issue as well. Horizon is not level.

unfortunately no. I have been correcting the problem post production. Kind of sucks, but the only solution I've heard so far is to send it back to DJI / Zenmuse. I have read enough about the problems of doing that so will just continue to correct on my own.

Sorry.

I will say that it has partually corrected itself. It was tilting by 2-3 degrees, but now it seems to be more like 1 degree. I guess I can live with that for now.

got new H33D yesterday - same issue, horizon level is off,
could calibration help?
thx!

bzpop said:
got new H33D yesterday - same issue, horizon level is off,
could calibration help?
thx!

Hook your P2 up to the assistance software, make sure it is sitting perfectly level and then do a basic and advance IMU calibration. The gimbal gets what is level from the P2's IMU and if the IMU thinks level is slightly tilted that’s what the gimbal will think is level.

tried this and it may have solved my problem. I could see a slight tilt to the camera on a flat surface, but the after the calibration, I couldn't see the tilt. Weather doesn't permit a flight test yet.

I was not able to do the advanced calibration. Every time I tried it, I got the message that the m/c was too hot and to turn the quad off and wait for five minutes and try again. Same result even after a long wait. The internal temperature of the house is 77 so I don't think it's environmental.

Still seems to be a bit better with the regular calibration.

crchisholm said:
tried this and it may have solved my problem. I could see a slight tilt to the camera on a flat surface, but the after the calibration, I couldn't see the tilt. Weather doesn't permit a flight test yet.

I was not able to do the advanced calibration. Every time I tried it, I got the message that the m/c was too hot and to turn the quad off and wait for five minutes and try again. Same result even after a long wait. The internal temperature of the house is 77 so I don't think it's environmental.

Mike at DSLRPros told me today all those were normal and to continue to select yes.. i did this on the phone with them today and they assured me this was a pointless error message :shock:

crchisholm said:

Two of mine do that two. I just put them in my refrigerator for a few minutes and it then works fine.

Holy mackeral. I think my wife would come after me with a baseball bat if I tried to put my phantom in the fridge. Maybe I can wait until she's out for the day. Please burn this post after reading.

shartlza said:
Hook your P2 up to the assistance software, make sure it is sitting perfectly level and then do a basic and advance IMU calibration. The gimbal gets what is level from the P2's IMU and if the IMU thinks level is slightly tilted that’s what the gimbal will think is level.
that was the first thing i did after i mounted H33D,
now to add to this level problem this thing shakes like i don't know what, cheap G3 was better than this,

I'm also having the same issue. I've gone thru all the calibration and it's still off. I haven't been able to get any response from DJI about this which is fairly annoying considering it's brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh man! I wish I could help. Fortunately for me, the instructions that I got above did the trick. I wasn't able to complete the "advanced calibration" (got a message that the m/c was too hot) but the regular IMU calibration was apparently what I needed.

How much is it off?

Mine was only off about 2 or three degrees. I can tell you from experience that DJI won't help. I sent them a request for help when a crash caused the video signal to stop coming from the goPro to the FPV. Their only response was to direct me to the support page that I got the email from in the first place.

Those nasty things you hear about DJI report being pretty much non-existant: IT'S TWOO, IT'S TWOO. (Sorry "blazing saddles" fans)

crchisholm said:
Oh man! I wish I could help. Fortunately for me, the instructions that I got above did the trick. I wasn't able to complete the "advanced calibration" (got a message that the m/c was too hot) but the regular IMU calibration was apparently what I needed.

How much is it off?

Mine was only off about 2 or three degrees. I can tell you from experience that DJI won't help. I sent them a request for help when a crash caused the video signal to stop coming from the goPro to the FPV. Their only response was to direct me to the support page that I got the email from in the first place.

Those nasty things you hear about DJI report being pretty much non-existant: IT'S TWOO, IT'S TWOO. (Sorry "blazing saddles" fans)
It's off about the same as what other people are reporting 1-2 degrees. I'm still so new to this so I haven't tried adjusting in post yet but I feel like I shouldn't have to. The store I bought it from said they'd just send it back to China for repairs (3 weeks) and if this is an issue with the gyroscope in the Phantom I'd guess it could come back without needing repairs. I wish DJi would be a little more accessible to their customers.

I believe your right about that. Since the problem with mine seemed by fixed by recalibrating the gyros, that kind of points to the fact that the level is controlled by the Naza. Unfortunately, regardless of whether it's the gimbal or the NAZA, you're still stuck with DJI support (or lack there of).

The goPro studio software has a "rotation" control in the "framing controls" section that will help you remove the tilt. I agree that you shouldn't have to, but unfortunately, a "should" and two dollars won't hardly buy a coffee anymore.

I use Power Director which I like a lot better than goPro studio, but that software is not free. (not real expensive though either).

Horizon tilt is my biggest issue with the H3-3D, assuming the ND filters en route from PolarPro solve the jello issues I am seeing. Here are my observations on horizon tilt, with one big asterisk on my experiences: I crashed my new P2+H3-3D from ~30' up when TBE took it into an oak tree while I was adjusting my Lilliput on its tripod. That crash bent the main gimbal arm substantially, and I am pleased and amazed I was able to bend it back and get the gimbal back in the air. Point being my behaviors *might* be related to the crash and/or post-crash re-alignment.

1) After the above crash, I installed the repaired H3-3D on my older P2, without cutting into the shell, by the following cheap hacks: (a) used long screws from P1 prop guards to hold gimbal to shell; (b) used four plumbing faucet washers between gimbal plate and shell; these have a center hole in them for the screw, and in theory provide some additional vibration absorption. Yes the gimbal and camera hang very low to the ground, but I always launch from and land to my hand, not terra firma. The benefit of this cheap hack is that you can EXPERIMENT with the alignment of the gimbal plate on all four corners, by tightening or loosening the screws, and because the faucet washers are somewhat compressible. I stumbled on this "feature" yesterday, which allowed me to quickly confirm that adjusting level of gimbal plate relative to underside of P2 shell does make a difference.

2) This morning at first light with very little wind I flew ~60min / four batteries. Immediately prior to those flights, I did a full IMU calibration on a very level and stable surface, then a compass calibration. My camera setup is H3+ with Ragecams 5.4mm lens (lighter than stock lens) and RageCams carbonite ND filter (solves jello, but don't like the visual effect on the image). I balanced that setup by putting double-sided tape and a length of 1/8" solder on the opposite end of the gimbal (where some of you are putting bottle cap + wire clip + coin). On each new battery, I insure the lid of my box is level (small bubble level), and start up the P2 and gimbal on that case, allowing the gimbal to figure out where/what level is.

3) With above configuration, and it's ease of adjustability on the gimbal plate level relative to shell level, I determined that the corrective action is counter-intuitive (at least to me). So in my case the camera was rotated several degrees clockwise of level-horizon, so it seemed I should tighten the gimbal screws on the right side of the ship and loosen the gimbal screws on the left side of the ship in order to rotate the camera counterclockwise, bringing the horizon closer to level. Wrong. Just the opposite provided the corrective action. If right side of image is low, further loosen right side screws, and tighten left side screws.

4) I am seeing "banking" (roll) by the gimbal when I yaw the aircraft. I think many have noticed that the gimbal -- powered on but sitting on a flat surface -- yaws when you yaw the aircraft. I find that curious, and am not sure if that's related to the banking I am seeing during in flight yaw. I am also seeing that even after my adjustments above to the gimbal mounting screws, the horizon is still tilted somewhat (right horizon low, left horizon high, aka clockwise rotation of the camera). As a result, when I yaw left, I get a nice level horizon, and when I yaw right, my horizon tilt becomes worse. No yaw gives some lesser amount of horizon tilt, but still noticeable tilt. I have seen the "FPV" option in the Assistant, and understand it is to provide a "banking" effect in gimbal operations, but have never enabled it in the Assistant. Nonetheless, my gimbal is clearly banking.

I am curious how my experiences above compare to those of others who have been chasing the "horizon tilt bug".

Kelly

PS: I may post some pics later to show the faucet setup, and a video of my gimbal's startup sequence.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl