h3-3d not quite level on the Y axis

So I just got my P2 H3 setup, and although I haven't flown my gimbal yet, I'm thinking there must be a reason that pretty much everyone describes the same tilt to the right problem. If it were simply a matter of the aircraft not being level when starting up, wouldn't we be seeing an equal number of videos tilted to the left as well? I hoping mine looks level, as this will really bug me if not. Having to use washers or hold it off level when starting up is not what I expect for the $.
Curt

great info, I intend to try this later. so the IMU calis actually adjust based on what device is in the gimbal?

Right now I'm experiencing a horizon tilt issue... when I mount my Hero3+ in the gimbal the horizon is perfectly level. When I mount the Hero4 (and neutral balance it) I get a 2-3 degree horizon tilt.

Is it possible that re-doing both IMU calis with the hero4 mounted will fix that ?! that would be swell!

Last edited by markimus58 In 2014-11-17 03:28 Editor

I just received a latest version P2 with H33D and 2312 motors directly from DJI and am using Hero 4B. Successfully performed Advanced Calibration. When H33D boots up it stays pointing straight down I have to use the control wheel to bring it to front facing. Is this normal?
Also, the stabilization in flight is great, however the horizon is not level by 2-4 degrees and drifts as yaw changes during flight.

How do I correct these issues?

shartlza said:
bzpop said:
got new H33D yesterday - same issue, horizon level is off,
could calibration help?
thx!

Hook your P2 up to the assistance software, make sure it is sitting perfectly level and then do a basic and advance IMU calibration. The gimbal gets what is level from the P2's IMU and if the IMU thinks level is slightly tilted that’s what the gimbal will think is level.

Thanks so much for this tip! :) This issue had been driving me mad and i'm really happy the solution was so easy. Much appreciated!

Hi all,

I had the same issue with my Hd-3D gimbal.
After a crash, my images were all unleveled.
All these calibrations will not fix it. Even a bent gimbal fixing base getting straightened would not fix it.

I had to disassemble the back supporting arm to find that where the part where the motor shaft is attached was bent. After straightening that part, all work perfectly. Level is 100% correct.

Check the link below to see some instructions on how to disassemble it. There is one photo showing detailed where it bents.
http://intelligent-fo.com/?p=698

Be aware that to have your gimbal disassembled/assembled back with no issues you need minimum electronics maintenance experience and make sure ESD wrist bands are used at all times.

I hope it helps... :D

I am suspecting there is a compass related anomaly that causes horizon drift with the H3-3D. Note that a crash, a bad IMU calibration and bad compass readings (due to bad calibration or interference) can also cause horizon drift.

I haven't pinpointed how it works yet but I have noticed exactly the same behavior on two different Phantoms which leads me to believe this is a firmware defect. The H3-3D gets data from the Phantom relating to its attitude which is predominantly related to the IMU but the compass is also influencing the Y axis as well. Videos of TBE often show significant loss of horizon.

I think the 3.06 declination fix may have introduced this defect but I am not certain. Both H3-3Ds were rock solid when I first used them. The first one was used for numerous flights without a single loss of level horizon. This was in LA (+12 degrees declination).

I first noticed horizon issues when I took that same Phantom to Chicago (-3 degrees declination). Drift would consistently be CCW between 0 and 2 degrees. I then took the second Phantom to Chicago and noticed exactly the same results. It went from perfectly level in LA to 0 to 2 degrees listing to the left.

I have since used the 2nd Phantom back in LA where the drift was noticeably absent. And now I've most recently been using it in NYC (-13 degrees declination) where the drift has been much more significant going from straight while stationary to listing up to 5 degrees.

I am still investigating but there is a definite link between flying in more than one area each with differing declinations and the amount of listing. More to come on this as I research it further...

Hello,

New Phantom 2 user with the H3-3D gimbal who have apparently bent the vertical arm as well.

Referencing http://intelligent-fo.com/?p=698, I can't quite tell which is the "bent" part of the arm, and the "fix", which is where I'm hoping someone could clarify:

Based on the image linked, is the cylindrical part above the arm (the one that looks to be twisted counter-clockwise), is that the bent part? And the fix to bend it back clockwise?

http://intelligent-fo.com/wp-content/up ... 000863.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Tim

wkf94025 said:
Horizon tilt is my biggest issue with the H3-3D, assuming the ND filters en route from PolarPro solve the jello issues I am seeing. Here are my observations on horizon tilt, with one big asterisk on my experiences: I crashed my new P2+H3-3D from ~30' up when TBE took it into an oak tree while I was adjusting my Lilliput on its tripod. That crash bent the main gimbal arm substantially, and I am pleased and amazed I was able to bend it back and get the gimbal back in the air. Point being my behaviors *might* be related to the crash and/or post-crash re-alignment.

1) After the above crash, I installed the repaired H3-3D on my older P2, without cutting into the shell, by the following cheap hacks: (a) used long screws from P1 prop guards to hold gimbal to shell; (b) used four plumbing faucet washers between gimbal plate and shell; these have a center hole in them for the screw, and in theory provide some additional vibration absorption. Yes the gimbal and camera hang very low to the ground, but I always launch from and land to my hand, not terra firma. The benefit of this cheap hack is that you can EXPERIMENT with the alignment of the gimbal plate on all four corners, by tightening or loosening the screws, and because the faucet washers are somewhat compressible. I stumbled on this "feature" yesterday, which allowed me to quickly confirm that adjusting level of gimbal plate relative to underside of P2 shell does make a difference.

2) This morning at first light with very little wind I flew ~60min / four batteries. Immediately prior to those flights, I did a full IMU calibration on a very level and stable surface, then a compass calibration. My camera setup is H3+ with Ragecams 5.4mm lens (lighter than stock lens) and RageCams carbonite ND filter (solves jello, but don't like the visual effect on the image). I balanced that setup by putting double-sided tape and a length of 1/8" solder on the opposite end of the gimbal (where some of you are putting bottle cap + wire clip + coin). On each new battery, I insure the lid of my box is level (small bubble level), and start up the P2 and gimbal on that case, allowing the gimbal to figure out where/what level is.

3) With above configuration, and it's ease of adjustability on the gimbal plate level relative to shell level, I determined that the corrective action is counter-intuitive (at least to me). So in my case the camera was rotated several degrees clockwise of level-horizon, so it seemed I should tighten the gimbal screws on the right side of the ship and loosen the gimbal screws on the left side of the ship in order to rotate the camera counterclockwise, bringing the horizon closer to level. Wrong. Just the opposite provided the corrective action. If right side of image is low, further loosen right side screws, and tighten left side screws.

4) I am seeing "banking" (roll) by the gimbal when I yaw the aircraft. I think many have noticed that the gimbal -- powered on but sitting on a flat surface -- yaws when you yaw the aircraft. I find that curious, and am not sure if that's related to the banking I am seeing during in flight yaw. I am also seeing that even after my adjustments above to the gimbal mounting screws, the horizon is still tilted somewhat (right horizon low, left horizon high, aka clockwise rotation of the camera). As a result, when I yaw left, I get a nice level horizon, and when I yaw right, my horizon tilt becomes worse. No yaw gives some lesser amount of horizon tilt, but still noticeable tilt. I have seen the "FPV" option in the Assistant, and understand it is to provide a "banking" effect in gimbal operations, but have never enabled it in the Assistant. Nonetheless, my gimbal is clearly banking.

I am curious how my experiences above compare to those of others who have been chasing the "horizon tilt bug".

Kelly

PS: I may post some pics later to show the faucet setup, and a video of my gimbal's startup sequence.

Just suffered my first crash. Wind took my phantom2, h33d and gopro 4 into a wall. H33d main arm is bent 45 degrees off. How did you bend yours back? Any tips?

I clamped it in a vise and carefully applied pressure by hand. have successfully bent 2 of 3 back into place. 3rd snapped.

wkf94025 said:
I clamped it in a vise and carefully applied pressure by hand. have successfully bent 2 of 3 back into place. 3rd snapped.

Cool. Just managed to strip it down to single out the bent arm on it's own.

If anyone else has this issue and is going to try bending your gimbal arms back here's a helpful guide I found on how to take your gimbal apart.

http://intelligent-fo.com/?p=698

that's cool thanks!

My gimbal is unlevel as well. Check out this video if you think it may have been bent in a crash.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4