GTU 10 faulty.

Reaction score
The Garmin GTU 10 that I bought 3 weeks ago, seems to be faulty. It was working fine upto Last Saturday, but since then I haven't been able to track it. The status shows that "The battery on your device is too low or your not in a network coverage area, cannot find your current location".

I've charged it for 8 hrs (it should only take a couple to fully charge), but the Red LED that should turn Green, to indicate a full charge is not lighting up, as it has done in the past and the ON/OFF button only seems to work when it feel like it! I have checked the firmware for updates, it's upto date, I did reinstall the firmware just in case, but that hasn't solved the problem. And I'm in the same position for network coverage, which worked before the problem!

So before I return it to Garmin, has anybody else who owns one, experienced any of these issues or have any suggestions, would be much appreciated.

35b0bb19f658cbcbba12173678cfe6fd.jpg

4b76438654fbecc1f75f1b7ee373ee4f.jpg

Not seen that before mate. I heard that Garmin will be discontinuing the GTU10 (much to my annoyance). I will try mine out later just in case they have done something weird to the software/app. I very much doubt it is an issue with the service, more likely the device.

One thing to check is the USB cable you are using.... try a few of them as some cheap ones simply don't work well (I have 3 that will crash my GoPro for example but work fine on external HDD's).

Failing that it sounds like a warranty return I fear.

We'll I don't know if there's a faulty batch out there, but this was my third one that has failed! I have decided to take a full refund and look for something else, as I just can't trust the GTU 10 to be reliable. I was really disappointed and annoyed with Garmin, having owned probably around 30 Garmin products since the late nineties. They aren't the company they used to be, the customer service is pretty poor now and where as you used to be able to talk to staff that were experts in the GPS business, you now just talk to people that read a computer screen, with very little knowledge of the products.

Anyway I've been trying to find an alternative to the GTU 10, does anybody have any experience with a product called the "Loc8tor GPS"? I've been looking at this and although the annual subscription is fairly high, it does the same job as the GTU, but also seems to have more functionality. For a start, if you want to change any of the settings, you don't have to turn the unit off and back on again for it to accept the changes, it does it straight away. I'm waiting for the company to reply to some of my questions, namely, the size and weight of it and if they do a cheaper annual subscription. Hopefully it will be suitable, as I do want some sort of tracker, just incase the worst was to happen.

If you are in the UK why not use the FiLiFi black edition? I'm one of the few that is using it here in the US with success. I like it because it does not transmit any type of signal while turned on....until you lose your phantom and call the sim card then it will text you back the exact location using google earth. You do have to buy a sim card and put some time on it but you only use the time if you call the unit (when it gets lost). I think it is a very cool deal, lightweight, velcro it on and take it off when you want, switch it from model to model...throw it in your wifes car and find out where she really is....lol!

I do have a GTU too....but it's bulky, it's heavier than my FiLiFi, and it is broadcasting anytime you have it turned on. Most say it will not interfere with your flight signals...some claim that it has. They both work good for me, but i prefer the filifi because of weight, design, and accuracy. Thats my two cents.

thetac said:
If you are in the UK why not use the FiLiFi black edition? I'm one of the few that is using it here in the US with success. I like it because it does not transmit any type of signal while turned on....until you lose your phantom and call the sim card then it will text you back the exact location using google earth. You do have to buy a sim card and put some time on it but you only use the time if you call the unit (when it gets lost). I think it is a very cool deal, lightweight, velcro it on and take it off when you want, switch it from model to model...throw it in your wifes car and find out where she really is....lol!

To be fair, the GTU 10 works the same way when set to "Locate" mode. It only broadcasts once you request the location from the app or Web site. (Although to be completely accurate, both devices are occasionally pinging back to the cell tower when on, even if they aren't actively sending a location SMS. However that doesn't seem to interfere with the Phantom at all.)

thetac said:

Thanks tac, I'll have a gander at the FiLFi.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl