Green screen

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently received a DJI P3P as a gift. I am having green screen issues in the app. The drone worked great for a few hours, maybe 2 hours flying time if that. I started to get a green screen on the app with no video, but the drone still flies well. Green screen will go way after the drone warms up for about 30 minutes. All the firmware is current and has been updated. So I inquired with DJI about the issue.

The phone reps put me through several procedures with the drone and the remote without any success. I tried the app on several devices same results, green screen. After I went through all the requested procedures the company asked me to send the drone in for evaluation and repair. I got an invoice for repair for about $310. The drone was never crashed nor had any impact of any kind that I know of. Anyway, the company insists that there is impact damage which I have no idea how this could be or where it is on the drone. Here is the quote I received from DJI.

Remarks: Impact damage to craft and camera not caused by product malfunction

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)

Phantom 3 camera lens (pro/adv/4K Wifi) 1 80.00 80.00

Phantom 3 right landing gear component 1 10.00 10.00

Phantom 3 Professional camera lens shield (4K) 1 8.00 8.00

Phantom 3 gimbal soft flat cable (pro/adv) 1 7.00 7.00

Phantom 3 camera ultra violet filter lens (UV) 1 5.00 5.00

Phantom 3 camera lens (pro/adv) 1 100.00 100.00

Phantom 3 Camera rear cover 1 2.00 2.00

Service Charge 1.5 65.00/H 97.50

Freight: 0.00

Total Amount: 309.50

DJI Care deduction: 0.00

Total Payment: 309.50

When I sent the drone in to DJI it was in almost perfect condition, just out-of-the-box. I would score it and 99% on condition. The lens looked perfect, no damage whatsoever to the landing gear, and they want me to purchase parts that I feel are unnecessary to get the drone working properly.

I called DJI to inquire about the quote on 3 separate occasions. The 1st time I called the rep said he would have DJI send me the drone evaluation from the repair department, which never happened, and was then hung up on by the rep. I called back a 2nd time and explained the situation to the rep and was hung up on again. I never used any foul language or was disrespectful in any way. I just wanted an explanation of why they wanted to sell me all these parts to get the app working properly, with no green screen issues. I called back to DJI a 3rd time and was put on hold for about 8 minutes. The rep said that all the parts would have to be purchased in order for the drone to work properly.

My question here is does anyone think all these parts are needed to correct the green screen issue? Should I consult with a third-party about the drone repair? Does anyone think the DJI is trying to sell unnecessary parts to get rid of old inventory? Any comments or advice would be much appreciate.

Thanks

Andy

Send it to a "local" drone fixer, along with the DJI comments. See if he (oops... they) agree. Maybe just a lens or cable would fix it.

Reactions: adouga
This seems like BS to be honest. IF it was really new and not crashed, you should fight it hard. I'd do two things:

1) call back and ask for a manager/supervisor, or the technical lead and (calmly) explain the situation and that its never been crashed and that these repairs are overkill (in that list, they have "camera lens listed twice, certainly you don't need two lenses?)

2) Post this on the DJI Forums and try and get their attention for help. Keep complaining in social media .. bad PR when they launch a new drone (Mavic) cannot be good. Keep bugging them until they make this right.

Sorry about your situation adouga, keep fighting it man!

I consulted with a respected drone dealer/repair shop. The shop owner said he has heard my story time and time again. Their no-customer service is crap, a joke. DJI is trying to dump as many “old” parts as possible to any repair that they can get away with. DJI claims that all the parts are required to fix the problem. I know this to be untrue.

I asked DJI to return my parts when they send the repaired drone back. I went back and forth with DJI through email and they refused to return my parts. I want what they describe as broken parts back to me and it is my property. They do not own the drone or any of the components within. DJI said they will not give my part back to me because it could be toxic. What a freaking joke and lie. The reason that they are refusing to give parts back is that the parts were not damaged in the 1st place. They do not want proof or evidence to come out that they are selling unnecessary parts to unknowing users. DJI says the landing gear component was damaged or broken in some way. That is complete BS. There wasn’t anything wrong with this part, not a scratch on.

I made several calls to supervisors or managers and was either hung up on (many times) or was told there’s nothing they can do. They said at one point they were going to send me a drone repair evaluation which never happened, and was probably a complete lie the 1st place. DJI said either pay for all of the parts or the repair will not be completed, and I would have to pay for shipping back. So DJI had me over a barrel and I was forced to pay for all these unnecessary parts. I feel sure that the real issue was a bad cable or something simple like that.

I’ll have to see if the repair worked from DJI when the drone is shipped back to me. I will never send my DJI product to DJI for repair, and I will never buy another DJI product again the rest of my life. DJI has greatly disappointed me.

I consulted with a respected drone dealer/repair shop. The shop owner said he has heard my story time and time again. Their no-customer service is crap, a joke. DJI is trying to dump as many “old” parts as possible to any repair that they can get away with. DJI claims that all the parts are required to fix the problem. I know this to be untrue.

I asked DJI to return my parts when they send the repaired drone back. I went back and forth with DJI through email and they refused to return my parts. I want what they describe as broken parts back to me and it is my property. They do not own the drone or any of the components within. DJI said they will not give my part back to me because it could be toxic. What a freaking joke and lie. The reason that they are refusing to give parts back is that the parts were not damaged in the 1st place. They do not want proof or evidence to come out that they are selling unnecessary parts to unknowing users. DJI says the landing gear component was damaged or broken in some way. That is complete BS. There wasn’t anything wrong with this part, not a scratch on.

I made several calls to supervisors or managers and was either hung up on (many times) or was told there’s nothing they can do. They said at one point they were going to send me a drone repair evaluation which never happened, and was probably a complete lie the 1st place. DJI said either pay for all of the parts or the repair will not be completed, and I would have to pay for shipping back. So DJI had me over a barrel and I was forced to pay for all these unnecessary parts. I feel sure that the real issue was a bad cable or something simple like that.

I’ll have to see if the repair worked from DJI when the drone is shipped back to me. I will never send my DJI product to DJI for repair, and I will never buy another DJI product again the rest of my life. DJI has greatly disappointed me.
Take to social media man!

Which social media do you think would be the best place to post about my ordeal?

cracked drone plastic.jpg

Update, got the drone back from DJI CA, seems to be working fine. It did come back with a cracked plastic piece that was not there when it was initially sent to DJI. I have pics before I sent it in and it doesn’t have this crack. I don’t know if it happened in shipping or DJI, but I can guaranty the plastic was not broken when sent to DJI. I know DJI will never claim responsibility. I put a bit super glue on the crack to prevent further cracking.

Never ever send your drone into repair to DJI in CA. Use reputable drone repair independent companies. The plastic parts DJI claimed to be replaced and would not return to me, are the same parts originally sent in.

I don’t have time to deal with this no customer service company and will get another brand of drone with this P3S craps out. DJI has lost a customer for life.

Attachments

• cracked drone plastic.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 251
  • cracked drone plastic.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 309
Dude.. That's crazy. Post your story along with the pics, on facebook, in the group "official DJI owners group".. there are supervisors working for DJI in that group, and they could push this to the correct department. It's not okay.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan