Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

gps not as good

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by vinnnocc, May 22, 2015.

1. vinnnocc

well ive notice the past two days my bird wants to drift and rise and lower. more then normal when in gps mode with 14-18 satellites.

all the other times i never had any problems. the gps was solid even on a windy day.

anything i can do?

i just did the new update. havent droped it or crashed. been flying in all my same spots

2. kirk2579

after a firmware update a full IMU calibration and compass cal should be done.

once that is done it may take a while while for gps to store data etc. for lack of better terms it sort of has to relearn some things

good luck and have fun flying!

3. Apparition

First day out with my P3 and it asked me to do an IMU calibration in the field did it on my case and it was windy. Not as steady as I hoped.

Today with the new firmware I made sure to calibrate inside on a level surface. Night and day difference, it was rock solid in the air after a good IMU calibration.

loganboyd likes this.
  4. vinnnocc

see this started happening two days ago before the new update. up till today ive been running 1.1.8.

if i go to show someone how steady it is. then it wants to move. like im lying.

ill try a full calibration of everything.

5. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Recalibrate and try a different location. Note that rising and falling is based on the barometer. GPS is only for horizontal positioning.

6. Greyfox51

Exactly the same problem with me, following the last update, so you aren't alone.

It seems as though a recal is in order.

7. 4wd

4wd

Best to do IMU and compass after any update in any case.
    Let it cool first as much as possible though.

8. Greyfox51

I checked the IMU status for recalibration and it told me it wasn't necessary, but I'm going to do it anyway. Typical. I need to recalibrate and it is probably going the be the warmest day of the year so far!

9. vinnnocc

how would the barometer get outa wack?

10. leekiya

I lost gps lock this morning, still on 1.1.8 and the IMU is Bob on, never had this problem before but this morning I went to a different spot I have never flown with the P3, did compas, warmed up, 16 satellites, took of and got up about 8 Mtrs and the app said p Atti mode, I looked down to check I had not knocked the switch but I hadn't, I flew forward about 10 Mtrs and back came gps mode with 16 satellites. Very strange. Landed it then and ei test again tomorrow.