Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GPS needed at TX? new to "3" pro

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Ron K, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Ron K

I'm a old heli RC polot - and had a PV2+ (sold due to lag - lack of light bridge), lack of follow me and decent waypoint automation... and recently acquired a 3 pro.

I'm I shoot catamarans over water (racing) and did some with the V2+ but the lag scared me. (didn't want to hit a boat or sail). Also lacked the features I wanted which I can now do with autopilot app.

So the question... I found my 5c phone and ipad3 do not work. (the 3 works POORLY and slow with Litchi) so I ordered a ipad mini 2 (no gps) after reading reviews. It will be drone only really. Should I have got one with cell? I don't want data plan on it - but I read that the GPS works without a data plan. I then asked around and was told no I need a data plan for GPS. (but I think that's wrong).

I figured I can add blue tooth GPS (that red puck 150/a I think it's called). I wanted to ask how important is GPS at the TX? I know I can fly without it... but I will often be controlling on a moving chase boat. So home will need to be changed... updated as the TX on a boat moves. Also for "follow me" of the TX wouldn't it need GPS? do I stick with the mini and add blue tooth gps? or should I return it for exchange of a mini with cell option (but not get a data plan?) I wanted a larger screen than my phone. But My ipad3 was quite heavy on my old V2+. The mini seemed like a good compromise - but wondering about GPS necessity and in what instance? I will be using it for complex flight modes, waypoints, follow me's etc. I checked the WIKI cool! I learned about light bridge) but didn't find anything on GPS at the TX/home point.

2. Oso

Oso

Check out this post. It might help with your research.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

A data plan is not needed.

Yes, this will work. Some commonly used GPS receivers are the Garmin GLO (GPS & GLONASS), Bad Elf (GPS only), Dual XGPS150A (GPS only), and Dual XGPS160 (GPS & GLONASS).

Currently, it's only important if you want to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff or if you want to use the Follow Me feature.

4. Ron K

thanks to all. I don't see a ipad mini-2 with cell... so I ordered without. Figured I could add on. I do want to do follow me for sure as well as moving home point since I'll often be on a boat and will be far from initial take off point. I read reviews about the 150 and 160 and it seems worth it to have GLONASS too - but the reviews said it took so long to lock on and that they recommended the 150 at 1/2 the price of the 160. though it seemed many of the reviewers were jet pilots and I thought it was weird that the jet didn't have gps positioning in the instrumentation? At any rate - whats the favored gps add on? The Bad Elf I think is out - because it's a lightning connector. (uses the spot that we'd connect to the tx) unless there is a lightning TRHOUGH connection on it I didn't see in the features. I'll look into the garmin. (I have one for my bike riding). would be cool if that could interface but doubt it.

Since I won't have the mini-2 until Friday - I tried a mini-1 of a friends today it worked but the video seemed REAL LAGGY... the 2 will be a better processor... is there also a problem/lag because we were to close? 15-20 ft?) and or indoors? I imagine that there is a bit rate setting too - but I didn't see it on my initial use of the GO app.

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

The processor is too slow. The iPad Mini 2 is the oldest Mini that'll work.

6. Oso

Oso

Hi Ron. In the threads pertaining to external GPS, I don't recall anyone saying they use a wired solution. As far as I know everyone who uses one uses a bluetooth device.

7. RoyB

I just bought the Ipad mini 4 wifi and then ordered the GARMIN GLO ($99) add on blue tooth GPS. I'm a dyed in the wool Garmin fan. I used to sell GPS equipment and EVERYTHING pales by comparison. Yesterday I took my GLO and Ipad Mini 4 for a ride in the car. The GLO actually tracked my movements inside my house as I walked by my south facing windows. In the car it was showing movement of as little as a couple feet when I was stuck in traffic. Very impressed

I was using Google Maps and the Maps program that came on the Ipad. Both worked great

Now I'm trying to find an app that gives me actual GPS coordinates so I can use this setup for other things rather than street navigation and my P3A reference points.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.