GPS interchangeable?

Reaction score
If I had two phantoms could I remove the GPS units in them by just unplugging them and swapping the two and plug them in and go? Or are they assigned individually?

A change of gps will need a new IMU calibration and compass calibration.

robinb said:

Ok maybe the compass because you have altered the internal components thus may alter the magnetic distortion created by the new versus old board, I get that, but why the IMU?

N017RW said:
robinb said:

Ok maybe the compass because you have altered the internal components thus may alter the magnetic distortion created by the new versus old board, I get that, but why the IMU?

Not sure but I changed compass last week and I had to do both sets of calibration again. Maybe the data from compass and gps is fed into the IMU and it knew I something had changed so it asked me to do both.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Here is why I ask.

I bought a phantom plus in April and due to my own mistake flipped and crashed. $1300 fix so I just bought a new one. The new one I bought has this GPS problem that everyone is having, 10 sats, hit record and it drops down to 3. Took it in they changed the GPS with a new oNE still does it.
The first phantom I had the GPS worked amazing if i had 10 sats, that was it, rarely lost any. If I swapped the two I'm hoping that it will work for me but now that I think about it my first phantom I was running version 2. Curious if the GPS problems are cause I'm running 3.06

Cityzen, yes have read that article and did that mod awhile back and it really improved how much faster I locked on to sats but didn't solve the recording issue of dropping sats. I'm hopeing this GPS swap will solve the problem. Unfortunately like I said earlier I was running V2.0 on my first Phantom and I have a feeling it's the V3.06 that's creating this problem.
I'll post my fix later in this post with the results.

Be interested in your results as my pv2+ has the sat drop out issue as well and its a pain in the a**.I take it you did not try and revert to old firmware?.

Jason Church said:
The new one I bought has this GPS problem that everyone is having, 10 sats, hit record and it drops down to 3. Took it in they changed the GPS with a new oNE still does it. The first phantom I had the GPS worked amazing if i had 10 sats, that was it, rarely lost any. If I swapped the two I'm hoping that it will work for me but now that I think about it my first phantom I was running version 2. Curious if the GPS problems are cause I'm running 3.06

Something to consider: The problem may NOT be the GPS module but the Wi-Fi module. Your first bird worked fine. Your second bird has already had two GPS units installed, and both exhibited the same problem. If you still have the crashed Phantom and the Wi-Fi module still works, why not swap the Wi-Fi module with the one in your replacement Phantom? You will need to reconnect the Extender to the bird if you do this.

Saltire,
no did not revert to old firmware as I am on the west coast up in Canada and V3.06 solved the magnetic problems I was having with V2.0 and the camera gimbal doing the funky shake every time on start up.

Too bad case I thought V2.0 had way more umph in the mothers.

Yes still have the old one Dirty Bird, will definitely give it a shot, did not know the wi-fi extender had control of the GPS. I've contacted dji due to other problems that I am having with the unit, since I have gotten it back from flying cameras trying to repair it, when I push the stick that controls the pitch forward in GPS and attitude mode the Phantom wants to continue moving forward even after I pull the stick back, drops crazy altitude as well, it's almost like I am flying in manual. So contacted flying cameras and they said they've done all they can and the next step is to contact dji.

Your current bird may just have a "RF leaky" Wi-Fi module. Swapping Wi-Fi modules is definitely worth trying since you have already tried two different GPS modules.

Jason DB is on about the wi-fi module inside the phantom .I noticed that you wrote wi-fi extender which is on the transmitter.
I still think that its leaky rf signals causing the issue and not the gps unit .I have not had a chance to try mine since fitting 2x ferrite's onto my camera cables , i did contemplate covering the internal wi-fi module with copper sheilding tape but was worried about heat build up so did not bother but i might still do it just for a test .

Ah, thanks for the clarification Saltire, and thanks for the info DB. As of today I have boxed it up and sent it back to DJI in L.A. as they are going to take a look at it. I'm up in Vancouver Canada so it's going to be raining here for the next 4 months (lol) if they send it back to me and the problem persists I will definitely go that route.

Thanks again you guys. This is such a great forum.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl