Got my drone insured

State Farm is smart in covering them under a Personal Articles policy, which specifically covers "Cameras". Being that drones are basically flying cameras, they are included so long as the camera was attached to the drone at the time of purchase. That is to say if you bought say a drone that included a gimbal but you had to buy a GoPro separately...In this scenario, only the Go Pro would be covered as it was added to the drone after the initial purchase.
The way they explained it to me was, if the camera is original equipment to bthe drive, then a single policy would cover it. If you added a gopro to a drone, then they would be covered under two separate policies.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I tried calling my home owners insurance, Geico/Travelers, but they do not offer anything that would work.

So I went to a SF next to my house. A Personal Article Policy would be $60 a year.

The actual drone would only have been 20$ but the lowest premium they offer in New Mexico was $60 so I added on my Wife's wedding ring.

The SF agent looked up Drone in the computer. It actually mentions drones now under the Personal Article Policy documentation but it says to document them as "Miscellaneous"

I'm in NC. I called four different State Farm offices before I found one that would give me a policy on my Phantom 4. $60.00 a year with no deductible for $1000 coverage. And no I don't have any other policies with them so it's not a rider but a stand alone policy.

I'm in NC. I called four different State Farm offices before I found one that would give me a policy on my Phantom 4. $60.00 a year with no deductible for $1000 coverage. And no I don't have any other policies with them so it's not a rider but a stand alone policy.
I believe you've actually paid for 3k in coverage so stick more property onto the policy. Maybe you have other cameras or your laptop

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Maybe they got you on under a different policy type than mine. I was told that the cost to insure a Phantom only would be much less than $60, but NC insurance regulations prevent them from issuing a policy with less than a $60 annual premium (and this also seems to be the case in other states). The $60 premium equates to $3k in coverage, and does provide replacement cost as you say.

My home/auto insurance is with Erie and it turns out that they automatically cover drones. My policy has a $500 deductible, which is not helpful. I'm working with a local State Farm agent to get the $60 plan and my cameras to it as well.

I run an iPad for my screen, so ill be adding that to the policy since its dedicated
My home/auto insurance is with Erie and it turns out that they automatically cover drones. My policy has a $500 deductible, which is not helpful. I'm working with a local State Farm agent to get the $60 plan and my cameras to it as well.
I'm guessing the $500 deductible applies to your auto policy? Most homeowners policies carry a 1% of the insured value as the deductible, which makes it much more than $500, in most cases.

I run an iPad for my screen, so ill be adding that to the policy since its dedicated

I'm guessing the $500 deductible applies to your auto policy? Most homeowners policies carry a 1% of the insured value as the deductible, which makes it much more than $500, in most cases.
It applies to both auto and personal property.

I called a different agent today, and she quoted me 60 bucks per year. Covers my wife's fancy camera and my drone, up to $5000.00 It irritates me that the first one said I had to have a qualifying homeowners policy through SF. To top it off, he wouldn't even write a policy for my home and farm, so that disqualified me from getting the personal articles policy from him. The second one said I should file a complaint with corporate. I'm just happy I found the right agent. Now I'll fly in comfort.

Reactions: jmkreege
I called a different agent today, and she quoted me 60 bucks per year. Covers my wife's fancy camera and my drone, up to $5000.00 It irritates me that the first one said I had to have a qualifying homeowners policy through SF. To top it off, he wouldn't even write a policy for my home and farm, so that disqualified me from getting the personal articles policy from him. The second one said I should file a complaint with corporate. I'm just happy I found the right agent. Now I'll fly in comfort.
While second agent would happy for you to report his competition to corporate, I doubt anything would come from it. Your word of mouth to friends and family would accomplish more.

jmkreege said:
I believe you've actually paid for 3k in coverage so stick more property onto the policy. Maybe you have other cameras or your laptop

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
No its actually a $1000 coverage. Pretty much receipt replacement.

Maybe they got you on under a different policy type than mine. I was told that the cost to insure a Phantom only would be much less than $60, but NC insurance regulations prevent them from issuing a policy with less than a $60 annual premium (and this also seems to be the case in other states). The $60 premium equates to $3k in coverage, and does provide replacement cost as you say.

jmkreege is correct. The $60 is for $3000 coverage. You can add many items to the policy up to the limit. Just left SF 2 hours ago after getting my policy.
Covered my P4 & accesories, my Nexus 7 tablet for the drone and my Nikon DSLR & accesories. He said I can even add my firearms if I wanted to, up to the limit. Going to make a list of those and add them next week.

Just needed Ser#'s & sales receipts for all the items on the policy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl