Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GoPro Thought

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by SS220, Jan 30, 2016.

1. SS220

Brand new P3S owner - first flight today. Went without a hitch, but will stick with beginner mode for a while :)

Down the road, I'm considering how I can fly my Hero4 and use its outstanding 4K and slomo video modes.
    Has anyone mounted a gopro sticky mount underneath the battery compartment so a GoPro can be installed facing out the back of the P3S? Would this significantly impact the standard's flight characteristics?

2. Tony Cowan

It will not work. You will just be weighing it down. Also try flight simulator to help you get out of beginner mode.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

3. kptw_pilot

I have not tried it, but it may work despite what Tony thinks. However you won't have a gimbal to keep out the vibrations and movements. In the end, it's likely not worth it.

4. Tony Cowan

That is really what I meant. Of course you can tie anything to it. But will it be stable. I don't see how.

5. kptw_pilot

I think the Phantom would be no less stable than without it, but the footage wouldn't be great

6. Dirty Bird

You may of course fasten your Hero4 to the underside of the battery compartment facing rearward. You will experience reduced flight times & performance due to the increased payload & the Hero4 video quality will be poor due to the lack of dampening & stabilization. Perhaps setting up the intervalometer feature to take a series of stills during flight would produce better results?

Phil Sutphin likes this.
  7. Phil Sutphin

Or, you could buy a Phantom 2 H4/3D and put your Hero4 Black on that. Then, you'll have 2 birds (as I do) :) The H4/3D performance is amazing. Of course, there's a lot more to it than that and you don't have the DJI App to control things with, but as far as actual video... well, you get the point. ;)

Dirty Bird likes this.
  8. Jorgejim90

You can always disconect the actual camera. Ive seen abunch a people do it.
    And mount the go pro on the anti vibration mount. No gimbal thou

9. SS220

Thanks and looking forward to many flights before attempting to attach a gopro. I like the idea of setting it up to take stills every second or so. If anyone is bored, here are some first flight vids I put together.

First Flight: Includes a Return to Home test and auto landing

Second Flight: First manual landing