Help me get my bird back in the air

Reaction score
My wife surprised me this Christmas with a P3S. I am a complete newb and did manage to get too close to a tree while bringing it in. Forgot that left is right and right is left when the bird is coming in and, well you know. It happened so fast that I am not sure if the gimbal was ripped off while coming down through the tree or if it happened on impact, all I remember is seeing parts rolling down the hill...
Damage was limited to a broken propeller, broken mounting plate (part 83 if memory serves), then there were these two broken wires...found out those are the antennae wires (the ones on either side of the battery compartment, 2.4GHz WiFi, I believe). I got the mounting plate yesterday, but I ordered the antennae off eBay and they have not as yet shipped.
Here's the thing, they are forecasting a possibility of snow for the weekend, which is fairly rare here in the Charlotte, NC area. I would really like to get this bird up for some winter footage, but without the antennae I doubt that I would get very far without losing the vid. I ordered a couple of cheap 2.4GHz dipoles off Amazon with ufl to RP-SMA cables which should be here Friday. Do you guys think this will give me even a modicum of distance, say 200 to 300 feet? Has anyone used antennae like this? They are basically WiFi router antennae. If they are as good or better than the stock antennae I would look to permanently mount them. Any ideas on how/where to do that? I really don't like the design with these wires, they should have been part of a ribbon cable that would be much easier to replace, IMHO.

Gonna hook up the new mounting bracket tonight and make sure the bird is flight worthy. Wish me luck!

Phrank

Could you maybe post some pictures of the damage and the antennas you're talking about?

Attached pic pretty much sums it up. I've replaced the bracket and did a test flight. I was actually able to get video without the antennae straight up to 400 feet! The question I'm posing is replacing the antennae with dipoles like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBU61S8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
20170104_201525.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart