GoPro Karma Release

Drone fro the masses, Karma! for those who don't want to learn anything about flying, just want to shoot cool pictures from the sky!
I have friends who think the Phantom line is just to complicated, Karma is going to appeal to these people,
I can see a whole new generation of flyers in the sky, scary.
On the plus side I do like the "all in one kit" idea, portability.

e3_6e.jpg

Thread maintenance completed.
Please remain on the topic of the GoPro Karma.

Also see more Karma talk & info here - http://gopropilots.com

Reactions: Meta4 and dirkclod
I don't even think the camera gimbal can pan up and down. Looks to me like the gopro will just point forward and whatever it see's is what you'll get. There are great angles that you can get in the air.

Last edited:
I don't even think the camera gimbal can pan up and down. Looks to me like the gopro will just point forward and whatever it see's is what you'll get.
It most definitely goes up and down. No different than other quads. Check out some videos of it like in post #121

GoPro is marketing it has a drone anyone can pick up and fly. I think this will lead to many threads on GoPro forums about how their Karma just "flew away for no reason".

I do see a couple of advantages in it over some other brands, and some draw backs. They will sell some, I doubt they will make a big dent in the market.

Personally, I prefer larger sticks on a Tx.

And I can't believe GoPro didn't include a "follow me" mods considering the market they would have the best chance to grab. Especially if it included the use of a tracking tag that could be placed on a sleeve or backpack. That would really boost its appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fat Daddy
GoPro is marketing it has a drone anyone can pick up and fly. I think this will lead to many threads on GoPro forums about how their Karma just "flew away for no reason".

I do see a couple of advantages in it over some other brands, and some draw backs. They will sell some, I doubt they will make a big dent in the market.

Personally, I prefer larger sticks on a Tx.

And I can't believe GoPro didn't include a "follow me" mods considering the market they would have the best chance to grab. Especially if it included the use of a tracking tag that could be placed on a sleeve or backpack. That would really boost its appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally! I would have considered it just for the "follow me" function being that it would be filmed with a gopro. No Tx to carry just the Karma following the tracking tag. But then you have to think, as with the phantoms as well, how many of these people would enable this function in area's with obstacles. For example, would be hard to imagine the Karma following a guy on a mountain bike through the woods as it would probably hit a tree. Maybe a guy jumping off a cliff into the water as it might crash into the water. Because thats what many gopro enthusiasts do. Also with the feature available, not sure it would be at a $799 price-tag either.

You can probably say the Karma is just another "accessory" for the gopro. I wonder if eventually, the gopro "wanna be's" will find a way to mount their own camera's on the Karma.

Last edited:
I agree with the people that hope it's the best vacation style UAS on the market.

I would have no problem with Karma overtaking DJI and Yuneec as a product. Not only is it more competition which means better and cheaper things to come but it's an American company so since I live in America, anything that could have a real effect on the GDP here, is good for us.

I hope it's strong.

It looks an interesting combo for those invested in the GoPro ecosystem but for people who have a variety of other types of cameras and devices it's not really any more affordable. I also disagree with the sentiment that the Hero 4/5 cameras are intrinsically better than a Phantom 3/4 camera, particularly if you're looking for high quality, non-distorted footage. The "GoPro Style" of video has its place but it will really be about what your intended use is. I will be curious to see how well their stability algorithms and the Hero5 camera image quality works out, so far the footage looks decent but the test is how well 'average' users can work them.

The RC has a number of pro's and con's, for me connectivity is going to be a big question if you use the Karma around moderate to high interference, but it will definitely be a nice compact package. For backcountry skiing, biking, etc. it could be a lot of fun, especially with the handheld stabilizer grip. I think the pre-release clips got people thinking along the wrong lines and may cause some backlash outside of the GoPro enthusiast community. I think the library footage may have been taken using the handheld stabilizer, if it wasn't then it was fairly misleading. You could tell it wasn't taken by a drone, regardless of what method was used to create lift there would have been significant turbulence created by flying so close to the shelves, tables, etc.

What I'm looking for is ruggedness from the Karma. I abuse my GoPros and they just keep working. I abuse my 250 quad and all I replace is the props and I'm back up. That's what could make the Karma a competitor. If I can run it into a tree, change the props and put it back up, I'll start saving for one now.

Phantom for the pretty work, Karma for the rough stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Maybe good to put the logo link for new forum on the other pilot (and this) forum.

Casey Neistat was given the opportunity to fly one of these and give a deeper insight on the karma !

Check it out

Portability and the quick transfer of the camera from drone to handheld was nice.

However, if you've seen Casey's videos before, the quality of his Phantom 4 footage looks way better than that GoPro 5 footage he posted IMO.

Also interesting was that he mentioned he had 21 minutes of flying left. Doesn't GoPro claim only 20 minutes of flight time?

Portability and the quick transfer of the camera from drone to handheld was nice.

However, if you've seen Casey's videos before, the quality of his Phantom 4 footage looks way better than that GoPro 5 footage he posted IMO.

Also interesting was that he mentioned he had 21 minutes of flying left. Doesn't GoPro claim only 20 minutes of flight time?

Thats whats going to sell the Karma. Too bad you have to go to the Inspire to have that ability. How does a GoPro compare to the X3 though as far as footage quality? Ruggedness I know Gopro wins hands down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18