GoPro Karma Release

GoPro is about American as Honda. All there stuff is made in China. So all you're really doing is giving your money to a American company that then uses Chinese labor to build things cheap and sell for ten times cost!

I'd much rather support a Chinese inventor, and entrepreneur like Frank Wang. At least he built, and developed a product in a country that is very hard to do stuff like that. Communist China. I say good for him.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

GoPro is about American as Honda. All there stuff is made in China. So all you're really doing is giving your money to a American company that then uses Chinese labor to build things cheap and sell for ten times cost!

I'd much rather support a Chinese inventor, and entrepreneur like Frank Wang. At least he built, and developed a product in a country that is very hard to do stuff like that. Communist China. I say good for him.

GoPro employs 1400 people in the United States and DJI employees 100. I know that doesn't matter to a lot of people, especially to those that don't live here but it matters to me. Yes I know the products are made in China but regardless those 1400 people are working here. Also, I've heard some pretty bad stories about DJI's customer support where as GoPro is very customer focused. If I run into an issue or need to have a repair competed I'd much rather work with GoPro on it. Just my personal opinion.

So you'd have an inferior Drone so you have someone to call when you wreck it? lol. Second of I think your stats are wrong. GoPro is a Chinese company with an American front. No different than any other. Apple has thousands of employees here and makes all their stuff in China? Do you use apple? Or the 100% Asian Samsung?

Unfortunately where you buy stuff means nothing in the big picture. Until trump abolishes NAFTA, we will never see industry return to America.

I agree with a little of what you say. I realize that a lot of companies like apple and GoPro manufacture there stuff in other countries like China, but they still employ lots of people here in America. and they are a American company. I work in a American factory and some of our parts are indeed made in china but still an American company and without them would not be making a good living here...

Well I'm certainly interested in the Karma but will probably wait for the 2nd gen to see what updates that one will have (if a 2nd gen is released). You also have to think if a 2nd gen is released, will it only be compatible with the Hero6? While Karma is compatible with 4 and 5, Karma2 may only be compatible with 5 and 6...just a thought based on how they release products. I mean its not just GoPro that does that, but DJI does that to and alot of other companies. I'm definitely getting the Karma grip for my gopro's though. While I do have the original Osmo, it still has it issues and its sometimes a hassle when you want to take a quick shot.

I still love my P3P so I'm sticking with it for now. The Karma is miles behind the tech of DJI drones.

I was really pulling for the Karma and wanting to support an American company but after seeing a few reviews on it I'm sad to say the least. Lots of flaws and compared to the mavic it's a joke. I think a phantom 3 standard is a better drone then the Karma[emoji26]

IT'S K A R M A!!!! IT'S SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST A DRONE!!!!!!

Nick Woodman= idiot.

GoPro is a good company, but it is slowly losing its grip on the market to the ever improving cellphone markets. Very few people need a dedicated, quality camera anyway, and a smaller few need a mountable or portable one.

Karma was your choice because it has American Employees. But, like many other things made by companies here the quality and over all design is inferior.

America hasn't had great design and execution since the 60's....

Hopefully Trump wins! Hopefully he abolishes NAFTA, forcing American companies to bring their manufacturing to the USA again. I believe Americans build a superior product in a pound for pound comparison... but are forced to constantly compromise between profitability and quality to compete with the economy in China.

Imagine if it were cheaper for DJI to produce their drones in the USA? Where it would cost more to import to the USA than hiring actual Americans to build in a American factory?

I realize I'm replacing Mexico and Canada with China for this point... but it's all the same. We need to revitalize American ingenuity and craftsmanship by making American companies capable of actually turning a profit.

I was really pulling for the Karma and wanting to support an American company but after seeing a few reviews on it I'm sad to say the least. Lots of flaws and compared to the mavic it's a joke. I think a phantom 3 standard is a better drone then the Karma[emoji26]

Did you see this comparison to mavic

Karma will be relegated to the GoPro faithful. At least, as long as your GoPro is a Hero 4 Black or later. I can't imagine anyone else choosing the Karma over the Mavic. It is just way too little and way too late for GoPro.

IT'S K A R M A!!!! IT'S SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST A DRONE!!!!!!

Nick Woodman= idiot.

GoPro is a good company, but it is slowly losing its grip on the market to the ever improving cellphone markets. Very few people need a dedicated, quality camera anyway, and a smaller few need a mountable or portable one.

Karma was your choice because it has American Employees. But, like many other things made by companies here the quality and over all design is inferior.

America hasn't had great design and execution since the 60's....

Hopefully Trump wins! Hopefully he abolishes NAFTA, forcing American companies to bring their manufacturing to the USA again. I believe Americans build a superior product in a pound for pound comparison... but are forced to constantly compromise between profitability and quality to compete with the economy in China.

Imagine if it were cheaper for DJI to produce their drones in the USA? Where it would cost more to import to the USA than hiring actual Americans to build in a American factory?

I realize I'm replacing Mexico and Canada with China for this point... but it's all the same. We need to revitalize American ingenuity and craftsmanship by making American companies capable of actually turning a profit.

Exactly!

I just saw a Karma at a local Best Buy. I personally don't like ANYTHING about its design other than its folding arms. It may have at least one "innovation" with that removable gimbal and maybe others I don't know of, but the Mavic Pro is the clear choice at this point between the two. I had big hope for the Karma, it being from GoPro, but it was outdated and insignificant at its release.

Clearly too much time designing and rolling out! DJI did equal time innovating and designing and not enough time preparing for the Karma slaughter.

Here's where GoPro dropped the ball.... they built their drone for the GoPro people as an accessory. Like I said on the day of the release... of you have one? Awesome... if you don't? No way. You can say DJI and GoPro were racing to the market and therefore GoPro couldn't have imagined what DJI I had up their sleeve.... but the truth is, GoPro should have taken a phantom 4, and copied everything it could for karma. That's essentially what DJI did... they took a P4, and crammed it into a small, innovating, SMART design. GoPro had to have looked at the P4 and knew DJI would do something similar, next generation etc.

Nick Woodman is an arrogant dope. He's trying to be Steve Jobs and fails miserably. At least DJI goes on stage and the collective audience goes "WOAH"... I didn't like Karma from inception. It's funny how it looked compact and portable until DJI said "uh, no it's not".

Exactly. The Karma is marketed as a GoPro camera accessory. A selfie-stick that happens to fly. The problem is that GoPro users tend to be about action video and the Karma doesn't even have a follow-me function of any kind. The Karma is fails so miserably at establishing a market that it's astonishing to me that GoPro could have released it with such a woefully incomplete feature set. It's truly amazing that that company, heretofore successful, could misunderstand its market so profoundly. My suspicion is that they thought they would have more time to develop the feature set and then got wind of Mavic. The irony is that DJI was in such a rush to counter-market Karma that they got their own tail in a crack with the premature Mavic release.

This is great Marketing theater. It could make a good subject for somebody's MBA thesis.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj