GoPro Karma Release

I think it's going to fall short on the camera side to start. The gopro has WAY to much of a fish eye for my taste. The other specs seem to be nice, but I doubt it will out perform the P4.
Just my two cents worth. Looking forward to all the youtube reviews in the future. Nice to see another player in this space.

You make a great point, but GoPro's have gotten better and better with each model. I don't expect anything less than even more advancement with the Hero 5.

I think it's going to fall short on the camera side to start. The gopro has WAY to much of a fish eye for my taste. The other specs seem to be nice, but I doubt it will out perform the P4.
Just my two cents worth. Looking forward to all the youtube reviews in the future. Nice to see another player in this space.

I don't know. The demo looks pretty darn good and I haven't seen a tilted horizon yet Not ONE. And God knows I'm looking.

I'm so sick of tilted horizons I don't know what to do.

Reactions: Drone#564
I read somewhere that the Hero 5 camera now has a new wide angle mode that is "distortion-free".

I will wait for the reviews on Karma.

Everyone was hyped about the Typhoon H until they flew them.....with disappointment. Now they can't get rid of them because of the reputation they have. Keep in mind Yuneec is not new to this business, worlds largest electric aircraft manufacturer. In contrast, GoPro has NEVER made a drone before. Software-wise GoPro will likely be way behind the curve for a while, we'll find out soon. I rarely use my Hero4 due to the fisheye problem, I always have to fix it in post, so I'm not a big fan. We'll have to wait and see what DJI's Mavic has in store at their Sept 27th event.

Remember when Yuneec announced obstacle avoidance in January at CES? DJI said nothing. Then 2 months later in March DJI is shipping drones with obstacle avoidance and Yuneec didn't ship until 4 months later in July. I'm wondering if history will repeat itself with Karma versus Mavic.

Mavic looks like this folded up. Can't see much, but that bubble looks fragile.
upload_2016-9-19_14-37-5.png

upload_2016-9-19_14-38-35.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Milehighdesign
Hero 5:

1) Looks like it has the same fisheye issues as the 3, 4, etc.. I was really hoping for a rectilinear lens.

2) Looks like adding an ND filter will be problematic. I was hoping for a lens with threads to making adding filters easier and more secure...the 5 looks like a step BACKWARD in that regard.

3) No easy way to change lenses. I was hoping GoPro would create an interchangeable lens system for the Hero 5.

Add those 3 up, and...well...drat.

Yes it's a nice camera...but it failed to address 3 major concerns, IMHO.

Reactions: John Locke
I will wait for the reviews on Karma.

Everyone was hyped about the Typhoon H until they flew them.....with disappointment. Now they can't get rid of them because of the reputation they have. Keep in mind Yuneec is not new to this business, worlds largest electric aircraft manufacturer. In contrast, GoPro has NEVER made a drone before. Software-wise GoPro will likely be way behind the curve for a while, we'll find out soon. I rarely use my Hero4 due to the fisheye problem, I always have to fix it in post, so I'm not a big fan. We'll have to wait and see what DJI's Mavic has in store at their Sept 27th event.

Remember when Yuneec announced obstacle avoidance in January at CES? DJI said nothing. Then 2 months later DJI is shipping drones with obstacle avoidance and Yuneec didn't ship until 4 months later in July. I'm wondering if history will repeat itself with Karma versus Mavic.

Mavic looks like this folded up. Can't see much, but that bubble looks fragile.
View attachment 65182
View attachment 65183

Got one of those too. Wanna buy one?

Now that a "sports action" drone is on the market, will we have more idiots flying now?

Now that a "sports action" drone is on the market, will we have more idiots flying now?
I was just considering posting a new topic/thread regarding this. You can't deny GoPro is a big name and even if the Karma's tech/specs are below what we would expect, their name alone will generate hype and thousands of sales to "idiots" with no consideration or respect to our national airspace.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I was just considering posting a new topic/thread regarding this. You can't deny GoPro is a big name and even if the Karma's tech/specs are below what we would expect, their name alone will generate hype and thousands of sales to "idiots" with no consideration or respect to our national airspace.

Exactly. When you have a gopro, no matter where your at if you want awesome footage your gonna strap that sucker on and do what you gotta do. There might be that same mentality with the Karma. I mean look at the Karma commercial of the guys skiing. Will a skii lodge actually let you fly around with all those people around? They make it seem like you can just fly it anywhere you want to. I've never seen a DJI commercial so I guess I can't compare the message DJI would be giving.

Reactions: scootrkitz

That ship has sailed already thanks to DJI.

Reactions: Fat Daddy
I've abused GoPro products for about 5 years and I've not broken one yet so I'm hopeful on the build quality.

As for "idiots". We need to remember that the folks who have been building and flying RC aircraft for decades undoubtedly realize that many of us (flying ready built machines) are the reason they have drawn FAA scrutiny in the first place. Likely they think of us a the "idiots" pretty often.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Drone#564
I can't believe everyone is so excited? I think it looks horrible! Total miss. I think DJI is breathing a heavy sigh of relief!

I can't imagine owning one of these. Of course I don't have a GoPro camera of any kind, but even if I did its nothing a Phantom can't do. It's a selfie Drone.

Everyone is talking about the price? Well if you have to get a phantom equivalent camera to stick on that drone it's right up there with a Phantom.

Not for me

Reactions: Numone
I've abused GoPro products for about 5 years and I've not broken one yet so I'm hopeful on the build quality.

Well you seem to be lucky with them too. I had a few that I had to send back, mostly for heat issues and defective USB connectors that seemed to break pretty easily. Though GoPro was really good about getting an RMA and doing the replacement (even if it was with an refurb'ed product).

As for "idiots". We need to remember that the folks who have been building and flying RC aircraft for decades undoubtedly realize that many of us (flying ready built machines) are the reason they have drawn FAA scrutiny in the first place. Likely they think of us a the "idiots" pretty often.

Are you looking an honest answer to that or was it just a casual response? :D

Seriously, these computer driven quads have done a lot of great things for the hobby that's been one of mine for over 25 years. I also fly FS fixed wing and balloons. I just love flying.

The problem is that a monkey can fly these things. You used to have to actually learn to fly, and if you were lucky like me to live on a large farm, you could fly at home. Otherwise, you were relegated to the closest AMA field (I'm still a member of the AMA and my local two clubs and fly there regularly too.). The fault does not lie with the manufacturers. The problem is much deeper than that. The problem is a public that doesn't give a crap and thinks nothing will ever happen to them. I've said it a thousand times if I've said it once, and it bears repeating here. There are two kinds of RC aircraft. Those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.

There's no safety training and more importantly, there's no belief or understanding that it's needed. That's the root of the problem.

The AMA could have solved all of this by demanding that the FAA require AMA Certification in order to fly... ANYTHING hobby related, but the AMA doesn't have the guts to stand up and do the right thing because it's all about the money and the dues to them and they don't want to rock anybody's boat.

Yeah. I resent what it's done to the hobby and where it's put us on the federal radar screen. We were on there enough anyway, but we were generally overlooked. Why? Because our safety record was impeccable and beyond reproach.

It's also brought a lot of GREAT, safe and enthusiastic new hobbyists into the hobby and many of you are already expanding your wings into other aspects of the hobby. That is a GOOD thing.

Like many things in life, a few bad apples are going to spoil the basket for millions of us. What pisses me off most is that there isn't a thing I can do about it.

You asked. LOL

Last edited:
I think DJI will always be synonymous with drones for the commercial and private sectors!

GoPro makes cool cameras, and if you have one laying around this is a good platform. But, short distance and toy like features will keep me away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20