GoPro is Recalling its Karma Drone

I bought a GoPro 5 expecting the Karma Grip to be released on its initial forecast date, which as you state is now "Coming Soon". While I've not heard of issues with the Grip, I'm hoping they still plan on releasing it as I didn't really need he GoPro 5...

Prior to the GoPro5/Grip release, I'd been seriously contemplating an OSMO, but I had a couple concerns for my needs; Durability as I'd be using it for Mountain Biking and off-road motorcycling; Use of my Iphone as the screen. I keep my Iphone in a heavy duty case which won't fit in the standard device holder. People mentioned that you could buy an Apple Touch and use that for a screen, but that added another couple hundred bucks to the price and doesn't solve the durability issue.

So still hoping they release the Grip....

Could be the end of the Karma. I wasn't planning on buying the Karma but I did want the Karma Grip for my gropro's. I noticed the Oct. 23rd release date was changed to "coming soon". Here it is 11/9/16 and hasn't changed. The fact that they are giving full refunds tells me they might either forget about Karma or start from the drawing board. Their definitely going to lose big this year.

I bought a GoPro 5 expecting the Karma Grip to be released on its initial forecast date, which as you state is now "Coming Soon". While I've not heard of issues with the Grip, I'm hoping they still plan on releasing it as I didn't really need he GoPro 5...

Prior to the GoPro5/Grip release, I'd been seriously contemplating an OSMO, but I had a couple concerns for my needs; Durability as I'd be using it for Mountain Biking and off-road motorcycling; Use of my Iphone as the screen. I keep my Iphone in a heavy duty case which won't fit in the standard device holder. People mentioned that you could buy an Apple Touch and use that for a screen, but that added another couple hundred bucks to the price and doesn't solve the durability issue.

If your going to use it for mountain biking I suggest using the gopro. The 5 does have some built-in image stabilization. I also purchased the 5 (also have a 4 black) with anticipation with the grip release. I'm still holding hope like as you said, its the drone that appears to be having the issue but again both of those pieces are connected. I have the Osmo (1st generation) and its great but I don't find it as rugged as a gopro and once in awhile the app disconnects from the Osmo and needs to be restarted. There were some issues with the 1st gen but I wanna say 98% of it has been fixed with firmware updates. With the 1st gen you need to use an external mic (I purchased the rode videomicro) because the stock mic sucks. Although the Osmo Mobile and Osmo+ is now released, I wasn't in love with the Osmo enough to shell out $$$ for an upgrade (Osmo+ would be an upgrade). It shoots great video but at the end of the day I find myself using the gopro more because I'm not so worried it. I can give my kids the gopro without worries.

The Osmo I would use for special occasions (parties, picnics, etc.), while the GoPro is for everything else.

Off topic of the thread, but -

Look into the Removu S1 gimbal - there is a Hero5 version due out before the end of the year (according to the company's FB page.) The unit is rain proof and they say they will also be making mounts for most smart phones. Might be an alternative to the Karma grip.

Off topic of the thread, but -

Look into the Removu S1 gimbal - there is a Hero5 version due out before the end of the year (according to the company's FB page.) The unit is rain proof and they say they will also be making mounts for most smart phones. Might be an alternative to the Karma grip.

The mounts for the smart phones definitely caught my eye.

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
A compulsory update is grounding the Karma. Owners get a message to return it for a full refund and also notified they will receive a GoPro Hero 5 Black for their troubles.

Now that is a nice touch.

I hope GoPro keeps at it with a Drone. The market needs healthy competition.

Yeah I know everyone dogs GoPro, but you know they were the industry leaders for so long. Thats why they worked with 3DR so closely to design the gimbal and controls. Its sad 3DR had issues and it went by the wayside. I really wish they would have hired the people from the engineering team for 3DR to start the next Gen of the Solo. I Think it shows a lot of class doing the recall now and refunding everyone until they can fix it/ if they fix it. Also giving customers a free Hero 5 is above and beyond. Really shows that they care about their customers. At least they are owning up to problems. DJI and the Mavic shipping thing is crazy with no info etc. Luckily thats sorting itself out but still. While GoPro may not stay in the drone business or if they do, I think they will be around quite a but longer. So many people. companies, TV studios, all use GoPros so I don't think they are gong anywhere. They may not be the most profitable business, but they will be around a while. IF their shares have drops that much, may need to snag me some stock really quick. You never know lol.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Whoever approved this week's GoPro release should be hanging their head for lack of awareness.

Geez.

:)

357ndp2.png

Reactions: SZNJ732
Yeah I know everyone dogs GoPro, but you know they were the industry leaders for so long. Thats why they worked with 3DR so closely to design the gimbal and controls..

Working with 3DR........was their first mistake. We all know how that turned out

Oh my goodness, refund is like saying- We can't build one that's doesn't screw up!

I disagree, IMO it was extremely responsible to do a full recall. I only have DJI products but respect GoPro for their actions. I thought they had a unique product that had market potential.

Luckily nobody got hurt, waiting to analyse the fault (and a possibly find a simple solution) then recall for repairs could result in a far worse outcome.

Nothing but respect for the gutsy decision GoPro took. Even though I believe they failed the one big requirement to thouroughly field test and technically evaluate BEFORE release. Market hype and pressure to release products without thorough technical evaluation is always doomed to failure.......In drones or any other product.

Hopefully for the sake of the industry and consumers they come back better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I thought they had a unique product that had market potential.
Even though I believe they failed the one big requirement to thouroughly field test and technically evaluate BEFORE release. Market hype and pressure to release products without thorough technical evaluation is always doomed to failure.......In drones or any other product.
The most unique feature of the Karma was that it had so little market potential. GoPro Karma In-Depth Review
The only thing it had going for it was the loyalty of a lot of Gopro users who were convinced that Karma would be great.
Unfortunately all the reviews have shown up what a klunker it was despite two years in development.
GoPro were going to launch it in June but postponed it shortly before.
You couldn't say that they rushed it to market.

Hopefully for the sake of the industry and consumers they come back better for it.
I'll be very surprised if Karma resurfaces.
The Karma was Gopro's last hope. GoPro Reported a 20% Loss in Q3 - Karma is their Last Hope - Forums
The recall is Gopro's opportunity to put Karma out of its misery and limit the damage it does (to Gopro).

Wow, that was quick!

That is an excellent review, possibly the best I have seen yet.

However with so many obvious issues I hold to my view of rushing to the market a product.

They either knew the issues, or through lack of technical review and post production quality control they failed to identify issues.

I still believe they saw the Mavic coming and wanted to be "first". Also the flip side it seems like DJI intel was outstanding and waited for the Karma release to release a clearly superior product in every sense.

Regardless, it is all conjecture on what went wrong with Karma and fact that DJI remains the industry leader by far.

The best GoPro drone IMO was the 3DR Solo. This was the approach GoPro should have taken, releasing an SDK so drone companies could intergate GoPro cameras into thier designs

Reactions: DHPotter
However with so many obvious issues I hold to my view of rushing to the market a product.
That's a strange way to rush over a period of two years.
Back in the end of April they were just about to launch it.

November of 2014 - Gopro drone announced: http://gizmodo.com/wsj-gopro-is-going-to-make-its-own-drones-1663738793
Suggested it will be available sometime 2015.
Hired a project manager from 3DR so they wouldn't be starting from scratch.

A year later in Dec 2015 it is announced that it will be called Karma and be available in first half 2016

Feb 2016 - Beta models being tested: This Skier Was Given a GoPro Karma Drone to Try Out

Mar 2016 - Karma expected to be released May or June: GoPro Hero 5 Release Date And Rumors Update: GoPro Hero And Karma Drone To Hit The Market This Year
April 2016 - Ads for karma:

5th May 2016 - Karma delayed until late 2016
“As late as this week, we believed Karma’s launch was on schedule,” said Nick Woodman, founder and chief executive of GoPro"
GoPro delays Karma, calls it ‘much more than a drone’

19th September 2016 - OfficiaL launch - to be available 23rd October
Reviews are bad to very bad: DJI Mavic Vs GoPro Karma Review Says the Karma is 'Unquestionably' Terrible

Late Oct the reports of falling Karmas start coming in.

8th November Karma recalled - game over

Reactions: SZNJ732
That's a strange way to rush over a period of two years.
Back in the end of April they were just about to launch it.

November of 2014 - Gopro drone announced: http://gizmodo.com/wsj-gopro-is-going-to-make-its-own-drones-1663738793
Suggested it will be available sometime 2015.
Hired a project manager from 3DR so they wouldn't be starting from scratch.

A year later in Dec 2015 it is announced that it will be called Karma and be available in first half 2016

Feb 2016 - Beta models being tested: This Skier Was Given a GoPro Karma Drone to Try Out

Mar 2016 - Karma expected to be released May or June: GoPro Hero 5 Release Date And Rumors Update: GoPro Hero And Karma Drone To Hit The Market This Year
April 2016 - Ads for karma:

5th May 2016 - Karma delayed until late 2016
“As late as this week, we believed Karma’s launch was on schedule,” said Nick Woodman, founder and chief executive of GoPro"
GoPro delays Karma, calls it ‘much more than a drone’

19th September 2016 - OfficiaL launch - to be available 23rd October
Reviews are bad to very bad: DJI Mavic Vs GoPro Karma Review Says the Karma is 'Unquestionably' Terrible

Late Oct the reports of falling Karmas start coming in.

8th November Karma recalled - game over

Very well researched (followed even it seems).

Though you miss my main point.

"They either knew the issues, or through lack of technical review and post production quality control they failed to identify issues."

Testing a beta version is all and good, but does not qualify as final quality control and technical review of the final product.

There were also a lot of good reviews. Both good and bad are out there not not only bad to very bad. It was never going to be for me but clearly it was for some...2,500 of them.

By rush I mean what I indicate. If they did thorough technical due diligence and addressed all known issues this may never have happened. I still believe marketing/corporate pressures over road quality control. Now they pay the price, as most do trying to short cut this aspect of any project.

Something went drastically wrong, will we ever find out or is the the last we see of GoPro drones. I dare say it is the last use of the name Karma at least and it clearly will harm the companies image ever trying to enter the drone market.

B & H still has 4 iterations of the Karma available for pre-order. I have no clue whether this means anything; just providing factual info.

Personally, the Karma is tempting due to the removable camera stabilizer, but the rapidly growing number of such stabilizing handles makes this less and less of a selling point. As far as performance goes, the Mavic has so many superiorities over the Karma that it's a no-brainer, even if the Karma had no problems.

To me, the huge difference in range is the most important superiority that the Mavic has over the Karma.

I am not convinced that the Mavic can handle wind as well as a Phantom. I have no data that I can point to which would back up my feelings about this, which are intuitive rather than provable at this point. To me, smaller and lighter means less wind-capable. I could be wrong about that but the only thing that will change my impression is hard evidence. Logic, no matter how sound, is not likely to sway me... I'll need actual empirical proof. I often fly my Phantom 3 Pro in somewhat windy conditions, so I'm going to need to find out what others experience regarding the Mavic's ability to fly in similar windy conditions before I opt to buy one.

Starting to think I should buy a karma. Think about it, if it was their first attempt and they fail and will no longer do drones again, well... How much would that karma be worth in the future? Be a limited edition worth a few thousand in the future. Look at the Amiga A1200 computer. Tech wise it's weaker then a 5 year old smart phone, but these things go for big money on eBay. I would be tempted to keep my karma (if I had one) and sell it in the future for big money

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT