good GPS reception without camera/ not good with

Reaction score
I bought a PV2+ with a damaged camera and removed it before it's first flight. It got GPS lock and flew great. I flew it for several weeks without a camera and had many great rock solid flights, never losing flashing green lights. When I got a replacement camera the GPS reception is between 5 and 6 satellites. I have tried shielding the GPS module but no positive results. Any suggestions?

You are getting noise/electronic interference with the camera system.
Do the foil mod to screen out the electronics below the GPS and make sure you tuck the GPS cable under the shielding like the video suggested.

YOu need to do the mod to minimise ATTI drift aways. The mod also lets you pick sats where you never did before.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19402

Not sure. Maybe remove the camera and test again to prove that the camera is the culprit. If you still dont get lock, then its your GPS module.

Something is not right, if not already on it you could move to 3.06 firmware which seemed to significantly speed up satellite acquisition.
Though it was soon noted that the V+ is slower getting sats than P2 and Vision, you should still be getting 8 or more most of the time, at least once out of a confined area.

Re: good GPS recepBut tion without camera/ not good with

I tried what you suggested. Removed the camera and confirmed that GPS module was still working. I got flashing green lights within a couple of minutes. But without WiFi I do not know how many sats I had a fix on, other than greater than seven plus. Before reattaching the camera I put another layer of shielding (aluminum foil) between the camera mounting bracket and the Phantom plastic body. That seems to have helped. With the camera reinstalled I am now getting 7 and 8 sats in a couple of minutes. I am guessing that some EMF from gimble motors might be contributing to the noise.

We are having scattered thunderstorms here today so I dare not fly. I'll looking forward to see how well reception holds up in flight. I thinking that it will only improve with some altitude.

Thanks for the help from down under. Keep smiling and flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl