Go Pro Power

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just a quick question. I am using the new H3D gimbal mount on my Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 3. I fully charged the GoPro but as you know the battery isn't the best! Does the Phantom power the GoPro through the gimbal connection i.e. keep the battery topped up?

Joe Batt said:
Hi everyone
Just a quick question. I am using the new H3D gimbal mount on my Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 3. I fully charged the GoPro but as you know the battery isn't the best! Does the Phantom power the GoPro through the gimbal connection i.e. keep the battery topped up?

the battery drains the p2 battery obviously... that means that it will drain. Have to keep charging my gopro eventually... i haven't counted flights but its quite a while... It doesn't keep it topped off but there is enough current to lessen the drain quite a bit.

I didn't quite understand that response (too may drains! ;)

Anyway, I'm curious as to the definitive answer to this : i.e....

Does the gimbal feed from the P2 into the rear of the GoPro directly power the GoPro and 'bypass' the GoPro battery?

Or does the GoPro still take its power from the GoPro battery with the latter being continually recharged by the gimbal feed?

Also, what happens with the newer H3-3D gimbal that has the connection to the GoPro USB port? Does that run solely on GoPro battery power or is there a power feed from the P2 into that USB port? (Not that I have the newer version, just curious)

Peter Evans said:
I didn't quite understand that response (too may drains! ;)

Anyway, I'm curious as to the definitive answer to this : i.e....

Does the gimbal feed from the P2 into the rear of the GoPro directly power the GoPro and 'bypass' the GoPro battery?

Or does the GoPro still take its power from the GoPro battery with the latter being continually recharged by the gimbal feed?

Also, what happens with the newer H3-3D gimbal that has the connection to the GoPro USB port? Does that run solely on GoPro battery power or is there a power feed from the P2 into that USB port? (Not that I have the newer version, just curious)

All I know is:

1. I have a GoPro Hero 3+ that is attached to P2H2-3D Phantom.
2. I never use that GoPro Hero 3+ for anything else other than Flight.
3. I start my camera... Ready P2 for flight. Start Record
4. My iOSD shows that the GoPro is recording and is being Charged.
5. Stop the camera ... shut off the P2... Turn off the GoPro...
6. Go Home and store the camera

I noticed after a couple of flights sometimes consecutive... that the GoPro Hero is not at full or close to full battery life. I liked to keep the GoPro hero 3+ battery above 20% so i occasionally charge it to full.

To answer your original question frankly... NO. It doesn't top off the battery.

To answer your question about wiring... umm... who knows?

And I just realized that the GoPro hero 3+ i think advertises 8-9 hours ... even if you got 30 min flight times off your battery that's 16-18 flights... I know it draws enough power to register it as charging a slowwwwww charge.

maybe i'll log my flight hours... NAH.

I have only had the Phantom a few days and its great :) What I have done so far is to make sure the GOPro is fully charged to in effect hedge my bets....that way if it does trickle charge the GP H3 then it starts off full and will not drain the Phantom battery too much and reduce the flight time. I have the new 3D gimbal with the direct link into the rear of the GP H3, my only problem so far is forgetting to hit record before flight ! :idea: :idea:

I have had 3 P2's and the GoPro has always been kept fully charged. I had been doing some work with the GoPro out of the P2 and it had discharged to perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 and after a couple of flights it again shows fully charged.
I guess it depends on the age of the battery also the GP 3+ uses a different chipset which consumes less current to run then does the earlier versions I understand.

The new version of the H3-3D with the ribbon cable also charges the GoPro.

Tom

There's a rumor floating around GoPro is recalling a bunch of their cameras due to faulty and loose USB ports. From what I heard they're currently doing it on a case by case basis but the range covers all Hero 3's.

The symptom = plug your charging cable into USB port and wiggle it - if your red charging light flickers - you have a bad one. If you have one of these contact GoPro - http://gopro.com/contact-us

Perfect timing for DJI to release a gimble that conects via this USB port.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT