Gimble sideways on turn on and got GPS indoors and started drifting

Reaction score
It was raining outside, and I was bringing my phantom four pro inside my detach garage to fly indoors. I flew it yesterday inside and it used vision and was stable as ever. When I turned it on the gimble did the up and down movement sideways and then righted itself. Not sure if normal but probs no big deal. (Gimble worked fine). But as I launched the drone at first as vision and was stable. Then it got gps somehow in a fully enclosed garage indoors. It began to drift and I caught it. Is this because it had gps indoors cuz it flew fine on vision yesterday. Any way to enable vision and turn off gps for indoor flights? Thanks

Have you tried just switching over to atti mode? You may be seeing GPS signals of sorts but probably not enough to lock onto the minimum required for stable flight.

Have you tried just switching over to atti mode? You may be seeing GPS signals of sorts but probably not enough to lock onto the minimum required for stable flight.
I'll try next time I fly inside thanks

Just out of curiosity, how do I turn on the side sensors? Is it a setting in the app? I put it on beginner mode, and the side sensors didn't activate. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how do I turn on the side sensors? Is it a setting in the app? I put it on beginner mode, and the side sensors didn't activate. Thanks.
I don't have the P4 pro, but I would assume that you can find those settings in the app. You need to be powered up for them to stick.

I have seen this before (no side sensor display in beginner or tripod mode.) It turned out that the side sensors were in fact active, but the display itself didn't show up until the aircraft was close enough to something to trigger an indication. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but I expect the former as I cannot duplicate the behavior consistently.

It was raining outside, and I was bringing my phantom four pro inside my detach garage to fly indoors. I flew it yesterday inside and it used vision and was stable as ever. When I turned it on the gimble did the up and down movement sideways and then righted itself. Not sure if normal but probs no big deal. (Gimble worked fine). But as I launched the drone at first as vision and was stable. Then it got gps somehow in a fully enclosed garage indoors. It began to drift and I caught it. Is this because it had gps indoors cuz it flew fine on vision yesterday. Any way to enable vision and turn off gps for indoor flights? Thanks

Wooden roof? Windows? Sure some signal will get in there and the over-sensitive POS GPS in the P4P will latch on to it multi-path and all.

DJI have made GPS the "top" mode and there's no way to stop that short of disassembly and covering the GPS module with tin foil (or disconnecting it perhaps).

These drones are not indoor machines.

I have seen this before (no side sensor display in beginner or tripod mode.) It turned out that the side sensors were in fact active, but the display itself didn't show up until the aircraft was close enough to something to trigger an indication. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but I expect the former as I cannot duplicate the behavior consistently.
So is there a way to fix this? I might mess with settings.

So is there a way to fix this? I might mess with settings.
I don't think settings will make any difference. I've noticed that sometimes I don't see the side objective avoidance bars on the display (in beginner or tripod mode) and at first I thought this might be intentional because too much/not enough light, etc., but it turns out that side OA was working but didn't show up on the screen until side OA was activated by proximity to something, yet at other times I see the side OA indicator bars right away. It seems strange and I think it may be some kind of bug.

I don't think settings will make any difference. I've noticed that sometimes I don't see the side objective avoidance bars on the display (in beginner or tripod mode) and at first I thought this might be intentional because too much/not enough light, etc., but it turns out that side OA was working but didn't show up on the screen until side OA was activated by proximity to something, yet at other times I see the side OA indicator bars right away. It seems strange and I think it may be some kind of bug.
So my phantom isn't a dud? I just flew it in the wind and it flew amazing! I'd hate to return it for repairs.

So my phantom isn't a dud? I just flew it in the wind and it flew amazing! I'd hate to return it for repairs.
No, it's not a dud. If the issue is a software bug it will be on every unit so no point in returning it. It's just that it only shows up in certain modes and is intermittent so probably few have noticed it. But as noted side OA does appear to be working even if the bars don't show up at first so it's not a serious problem.

No, it's not a dud. If the issue is a software bug it will be on every unit so no point in returning it. It's just that it only shows up in certain modes and is intermittent so probably few have noticed it. But as noted side OA does appear to be working even if the bars don't show up at first so it's not a serious problem.
I'll have to take try and see if my side obstacle avoidance works

I'll have to take try and see if my side obstacle avoidance works
Please do and let us know. I mentioned this issue in the past in another thread but never really got any response so I'd like to know what others are seeing. When you test make sure lighting conditions are reasonable, i.e. not very dark or extremely bright as these can interfere with OA sensing.

Please do and let us know. I mentioned this issue in the past in another thread but never really got any response so I'd like to know what others are seeing. When you test make sure lighting conditions are reasonable, i.e. not very dark or extremely bright as these can interfere with OA sensing.
Ok, it's on the charger now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl