Gimbal not level after crash

Reaction score
Hi guys

First thread here!

So long story short, I crashed my Phantom 2 with GoPro Hero 3 black on the H3-3D.

The H3-3D lower arm got bent. I dismantled the entire gimbal and re-bent the arm back which is pretty much what it used to be, but not perfect. This is how it looked before:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1412496124919389.jpg

Problem is the GoPro isn't sitting level when it powers up.

This is how it looks now:

img_0326.jpg

As you can see the gimbal is rolling to the right. Also, I have it propped up since, after the crash, the gimbal sits lower and can't initialise as it touches the ground when I turn it on. Have to try and fix that somehow. Does it look very low to you guys? If you look at the Yaw motor, how much should it stick out of the P2 body hole?

The gimbal is off-balance due to the bent arm not being 100% how it used to be, so i have to now add weight in order to try and balance it again I'm assuming. You can see the blue-tac/presstick I used on the right to try and balance it. Even without this, it still sits to the right as in the pic.

I want to try and avoid dismantling the entire gimbal again just to bend the arm some more if possible.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thats a hell of a bend mate. Must have been comming down super fast.
In my opinion, I would leave it as it is. There is always ways to level the video in editing if it is visable at all. I dont think the angle will show up to the nakid eye when watching it on the screen.
My gimbal leans the same amount just that the lens side is higher and it cant be seen when watching it played on screen.

cokeaddict said:
Thats a hell of a bend mate. Must have been comming down super fast.
In my opinion, I would leave it as it is. There is always ways to level the video in editing if it is visable at all. I dont think the angle will show up to the nakid eye when watching it on the screen.
My gimbal leans the same amount just that the lens side is higher and it cant be seen when watching it played on screen.

Thanks for the advice. I was shocked at how much it bent! Amazing thing is the lens is still ok on the GoPro, and the P2 only broke a propeller and the battery button/smart circuit also got hit and the whole battery popped out of its holder. Which makes the battery unusable now

The GoPro USB port ripped off the GoPro board thanks to this new USB ribbon connector.., so GoPro is useless for now until I get an external charger. I'll then test to see if it's visible in video. I film on medium FOV so I suspected it would be, but will test.

Just wanted to try and get it as perfect as possible.

Guys I fiddled around a bit more - does this look normal to you or like its leaning to one side slightly? (The right)

Could someone kindly check theirs once it's powered on, possibly from the same angle as this pic. If you could post it that would be even better!

Thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412766903.119984.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412766903.119984.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 1,035
Here is a video of my H3-3D gimbal that is leaning to one side. Something odd is that when I tilt it down, it levels out, but when I tilt it back up, it goes back to leaning to the right.

It's standing on two bowls because, since the crash, the gimbal sits lower than before. So much so that it actually touches the ground. So needed to raise it up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQaliRG8T5g[/youtube]

Secondly, since the crash it also seems that my maximum downwards tilt is at +-45 degrees? Can no longer tilt to 90degrees. I have checked settings in software and the limits are appropriate, but cannot get it to 90 degrees down.

Other notes:
- It was bent when I crashed it. Had to bend the lower gimbal arm back. As well as the top mounting plate was bent. Tried to straighten it out best I could.

Would appreciate any advice from the pros!

Thank you

arizeda said:
Here is a video of my H3-3D gimbal that is leaning to one side. Something odd is that when I tilt it down, it levels out, but when I tilt it back up, it goes back to leaning to the right.

It's standing on two bowls because, since the crash, the gimbal sits lower than before. So much so that it actually touches the ground. So needed to raise it up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQaliRG8T5g[/youtube]

Secondly, since the crash it also seems that my maximum downwards tilt is at +-45 degrees? Can no longer tilt to 90degrees. I have checked settings in software and the limits are appropriate, but cannot get it to 90 degrees down.

Other notes:
- It was bent when I crashed it. Had to bend the lower gimbal arm back. As well as the top mounting plate was bent. Tried to straighten it out best I could.

Would appreciate any advice from the pros!

Thank you

Hey, man. Been flying for a long time and I know the pain of what you're feeling...
The tilt may not be working correctly due to damage of the motors inside the gimbal. Unfortunately that can be the case from a tough crash. :(

MrDrone27 said:
Hey, man. Been flying for a long time and I know the pain of what you're feeling...
The tilt may not be working correctly due to damage of the motors inside the gimbal. Unfortunately that can be the case from a tough crash. :(

Hey man! Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. I just don't want to give up without a fight! Managed to bend the gimbal back quite a bit, and it might be usable. Might just have to straighten the vids out in post.. It's a bit optimistic though I know... Just seems a shame to chuck the gimbal away when a lot of it is still working :/

I suspect I need to bend the arm some more. Here is it in it's current state:
imageuploadedbytapatalk1412882500415807.jpg

If you follow the gold line, looks like it might be touching the board.

And here's a video from the rear (managed to get it to point downards after altering the limit in the assistant software) :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZmty6eC4M[/youtube]

You can see in the video it looks like it twitches/warps or something when I tilt it down. Trying to figure that out

Doesn't help the GoPro USB connector is broken so I can't even test it. Need to get an external charger. Will eventually need to replace the GoPro (maybe get the new GoPro 4 like yourself :p). Going to be very costly...new gimbal and new GoPro... and i'm wary of buying the H3-3D now in case they bring an updated version out for the Hero 4. Which is also why ideally I would like to fix this as best as I can, and then get the new gimbal once they release it.

P.S. Is the Hero 4 working nicely on your rig? Assume you're using the H3-3D? :D

arizeda said:
MrDrone27 said:

Hey man! Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. I just don't want to give up without a fight! Managed to bend the gimbal back quite a bit, and it might be usable. Might just have to straighten the vids out in post.. It's a bit optimistic though I know... Just seems a shame to chuck the gimbal away when a lot of it is still working :/

I suspect I need to bend the arm some more. Here is it in it's current state:
imageuploadedbytapatalk1412882500415807.jpg

If you follow the gold line, looks like it might be touching the board.

And here's a video from the rear (managed to get it to point downards after altering the limit in the assistant software) :
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZmty6eC4M&list=UUT8xoRzaeWWkYntTs7fSQuA[/youtube]

You can see in the video it looks like it twitches/warps or something when I tilt it down. Trying to figure that out

Doesn't help the GoPro USB connector is broken so I can't even test it. Need to get an external charger. Will eventually need to replace the GoPro (maybe get the new GoPro 4 like yourself :p). Going to be very costly...new gimbal and new GoPro... and i'm wary of buying the H3-3D now in case they bring an updated version out for the Hero 4. Which is also why ideally I would like to fix this as best as I can, and then get the new gimbal once they release it.

P.S. Is the Hero 4 working nicely on your rig? Assume you're using the H3-3D? :D

Hey, brother! I totally feel your pain in not wanting to give up... I would personally just keep using it as long as you can manage to take away the tilt in post edit.
Yes, I love the new GoPro. It doesn't do itself justice until you actually get the chance to use it. Had a bit of problems using it with Lightbridge, but I heard they should have an update to fix that in a week or so :)
Where did you get your set-up at?

MrDrone27 said:
Hey, brother! I totally feel your pain in not wanting to give up... I would personally just keep using it as long as you can manage to take away the tilt in post edit.
Yes, I love the new GoPro. It doesn't do itself justice until you actually get the chance to use it. Had a bit of problems using it with Lightbridge, but I heard they should have an update to fix that in a week or so :)

Maybe I will do just that. Once I can power the GoPro up I can test it out properly and see if it's possible or if there are any other issues in-flight.

Also need to find a way to prop the Phantom up though since the gimbal now sits lower for whatever reason I can't seem to figure. Too low in fact, it touches the ground.

Enjoy the Hero 4! Looks really awesome. Got my set-up here in South Africa. You?

arizeda said:
MrDrone27 said:

Maybe I will do just that. Once I can power the GoPro up I can test it out properly and see if it's possible or if there are any other issues in-flight.

Also need to find a way to prop the Phantom up though since the gimbal now sits lower for whatever reason I can't seem to figure. Too low in fact, it touches the ground.

Enjoy the Hero 4! Looks really awesome. Got my set-up here in South Africa. You?

Thanks, man! Personally, I would stay away from the extended landing great, I'm not a fan. I got my set-up from Dronefly.com! They are fantastic over there, they have helped me out a lot!

MrDrone27 said:
Thanks, man! Personally, I would stay away from the extended landing great, I'm not a fan. I got my set-up from Dronefly.com! They are fantastic over there, they have helped me out a lot!

I don't have much choice unfortunately other that buy a new gimbal or try and see why this is hanging lower than it should. Prob a bent bracket somewhere.

arizeda said:
MrDrone27 said:

I don't have much choice unfortunately other that buy a new gimbal or try and see why this is hanging lower than it should. Prob a bent bracket somewhere.

Yeah, your best bet would probably be the new gimbal. It will end up making life much easier in the long run :mrgreen:

MrDrone27 said:
arizeda said:
MrDrone27 said:

Yeah, your best bet would probably be the new gimbal. It will end up making life much easier in the long run :mrgreen:
I know :( Sigh... Most things can be fixed with money :lol: :lol:

Yeah, your best bet would probably be the new gimbal. It will end up making life much easier in the long run :mrgreen:[/quote]
I know :( Sigh... Most things can be fixed with money :lol: :lol:[/quote]

+1 on that! If you do decide to buy a new gimbal, you should consider getting it at Dronefly. Like I said earlier, they have been phenomenal to me!

I crashed my P2 with H3-3D gimbal recently and had the same problem. It took a 40 foot free-fall to a hard forest floor (enough to crack an arm, shatter a prop, and eject the battery about 10 feet).

The H3-3D frame was bent to **** and back. Even after THINKING I had it straight, the balance was still off. Basically I sat there with a pair of pliers and just kept tweaking and tweaking the "straight-ness" of the lower frame (the part on the bottom of the four dampers). Finally, with the most minute of tweaks, it is straight again!

KiloWattson said:
I crashed my P2 with H3-3D gimbal recently and had the same problem. It took a 40 foot free-fall to a hard forest floor (enough to crack an arm, shatter a prop, and eject the battery about 10 feet).

The H3-3D frame was bent to **** and back. Even after THINKING I had it straight, the balance was still off. Basically I sat there with a pair of pliers and just kept tweaking and tweaking the "straight-ness" of the lower frame (the part on the bottom of the four dampers). Finally, with the most minute of tweaks, it is straight again!
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's a shame they don't sell this part separately... I'm going to try what you suggested and see if I come up with anything.

Did you restart the Phantom each time you made adjustments? Or do it while it was powered on?

Thannks

Hi all,

It looks like I've got a very similar story. Crashed into a 40ft tree. The gopro seems fine but the level on my gimbal is way off. See video here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdSo0M68tk[/youtube]

I suspect my arm is also bent - it's got the full range of tilt motion, but when pointing up it bangs on the top of the gimbal itself - so it's clearly out of alignment.

How did you guys bend them back? What tools did you use? How did you know you which way to bend etc?

Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka