Gimbal motor overload Issue

Reaction score
So unfortunately I crashed my Phantom 3 on Tuesday. However, I continued flying it with no issues. Next day, I take it out again and flew fine, although during flight I kept getting the GIMBAL MOTOR OVERLOAD warning (it kept going in and out). I decided to land it safely and figured nothing was wrong.

Today, I turned it on, and the gimbal would not set it self like normally does, and says now says "GIMBAL MOTOR OVERLOAD " AGAIN, and says "if this error occurs, contact DJI support". Which i did, and they recommended i send it in.

can anyone help me out?!?!

So unfortunately I crashed my Phantom 3 on Tuesday. However, I continued flying it with no issues. Next day, I take it out again and flew fine, although during flight I kept getting the GIMBAL MOTOR OVERLOAD warning (it kept going in and out). I decided to land it safely and figured nothing was wrong.

Today, I turned it on, and the gimbal would not set it self like normally does, and says now says "GIMBAL MOTOR OVERLOAD " AGAIN, and says "if this error occurs, contact DJI support". Which i did, and they recommended i send it in.

can anyone help me out?!?!
It appears that the gimbal motor may be binding causing the message-- Any restriction in the movement of the gimbal will give that error. Have you tried testing the gimbal movement with your fingers, gripping the camera lightly and moving the gimbal in all directions to see if you can feel any roughness or binding. Of course do, this with the copter off. If you cant physically detect any restriction of movement, then, it may and electronic issue, which in that case, you probably would have to send it to a repair facility.

It appears that the gimbal motor may be binding causing the message-- Any restriction in the movement of the gimbal will give that error. Have you tried testing the gimbal movement with your fingers, gripping the camera lightly and moving the gimbal in all directions to see if you can feel any roughness or binding. Of course do, this with the copter off. If you cant physically detect any restriction of movement, then, it may and electronic issue, which in that case, you probably would have to send it to a repair facility.

I have tried moving the gimbal, I don't feel any roughness of binding; no restriction of movement. I forgot to mention that I had turned on the phantom with the gimbal clamp on, that's when it first gave me the error message and it also prompted me remove it, so i turned it off, removed the clamp, and it continued displaying the error message. I'm trying to avoid sending it out for 6-8 weeks as I promised i would use the drone at a wedding on August 8th...

I have tried moving the gimbal, I don't feel any roughness of binding; no restriction of movement. I forgot to mention that I had turned on the phantom with the gimbal clamp on, that's when it first gave me the error message and it also prompted me remove it, so i turned it off, removed the clamp, and it continued displaying the error message. I'm trying to avoid sending it out for 6-8 weeks as I promised i would use the drone at a wedding on August 8th...
I turned mine on with the Gimbal lock in place, as I am sure that 90% of the people on this forum have. It has not caused any permanent damage on mine or on any others that have reported doing the same thing. The fix is to take it out like you did and reset the controller, Phantom and app and it should be safe to fly. If it comes on and then goes away, that shouldn't be a concern. If it will not go off, then you might try to recalibrate the gimbal and see if that helps.

I have tried recalibrating the gimbal a few times and each time another error message pops up "Gimbal calibration failed"

I'm currently uploading a video on Youtube to show what the gimbal is doing. Not sure if that would even help.

I have tried recalibrating the gimbal a few times and each time another error message pops up "Gimbal calibration failed"

I'm currently uploading a video on Youtube to show what the gimbal is doing. Not sure if that would even help.
Put it up-- someone may be able to solve the issue--

Reactions: Alex Rodriguez
Did you check to see if there was any dust/sand debris in the gimbal? Try taking some air and blowing it out. If you move it with your hand gently does it grind or move smoothly?

Did you check to see if there was any dust/sand debris in the gimbal? Try taking some air and blowing it out. If you move it with your hand gently does it grind or move smoothly?

I have, it doesn't seem to have any debris in the gimbal. Looks and sounds smooth. I actually just turned it on again, it seemed to had finally set, although crooked, but I was finally able to perform a gimbal calibration successfully. I got excited for a sec, then I tried moving the gimbal via the remotes gimbal wheel, then it started wigging out again.

Broken potentiometer on one of the brushless motor controllers or one of the brushless motors overheated and blew a component.

I just bought a new Phantom 3 professional tonight to start working on possible upgrades and reverse engineering it for repairs. I need to start buying broken units to start sourcing parts. It takes a while to get a good stock of components together. DJI appears to have really picked up the ball this time and made a much better craft they can stand behind.

Jeremy

Broken potentiometer on one of the brushless motor controllers or one of the brushless motors overheated and blew a component.

I just bought a new Phantom 3 professional tonight to start working on possible upgrades and reverse engineering it for repairs. I need to start buying broken units to start sourcing parts. It takes a while to get a good stock of components together. DJI appears to have really picked up the ball this time and made a much better craft they can stand behind.

Jeremy

Thanks for your post. So what you're saying is that I'm screwed and should send it in?

Check the set screw on the gimbal arm that connects the camera to the shaft.

I´ve the same problem, after a landing crash my gimbail dont work propertly.... App say "motor gimbail overloaded" I´ve try to set horizontal axe but don´t work.... I´ve unmount complet gimbail and problem still now...

I think the problem is potentiometer on gimbail board.... I´need replacement of this potentiometer but i don´t found it.... Only complete gimbail.....

Any idea ??????

That's what my issue was. Bad potentiometer circuit board. eBay , classifieds is all I can suggest.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's what my issue was. Bad potentiometer circuit board. eBay , classifieds is all I can suggest.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks !!! Which of two potentiometer was yours ???? There are two, one on camera motor board, and another on the vertical rotation motor

Today i've released the arm of the main axis engine (vertical movement).... and i've seen this motor run with non stop.. Another motor see to be ok... and make no stranger movement when the main motor run free

I will try to buy spare parts in local advertisements, .... but

anyone know what are the symptoms when an gimbail engine is in poor condition ¿?

I think my problem ist now on this motor.....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl