Gimbal Guard from Ebay

I didn't use the tie and lost the guard. Just use one very small tie. I don't use them anymore as I think the wind catches them and causes some problems. Anyone else think that?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464959366.931365.jpg
No issues here. So thin no real area for wind to effect flight.

I noticed a slight twitchiness in the wind with it on. Nothing drastic tho. If itll help save the cam and gimbal, its worth the slight twitch. Haven't read any reports on how effective they are at saving the cam and gimbal tho..

I hand catch so I don't need one

View attachment 55912No issues here. So thin no real area for wind to effect flight.

It's not how thin it is that would matter, it's the surface area. As you fly the drone tilts into the wind and apparent wind. So if you are flying 20mph into a 10mph the Phantom is tilting a lot. This exposes the entire upper part of the guard to that 30mph wind. Granted, it's still at an angle.

To each their own... I'm just pointing out it's not the thickness that matters (.... when it comes to a gimbal guard).

I hand catch most of the time, but still run one in case there is a time I can't hand catch....which is normally the time you would kill your gimbal on a bad non-hand catch landing...

I figure cheap insurance that does not really affect much.

Reactions: HWCM and flpholt
You don't put them on there to hand catch... You put them on to save the camera during a crash°°° Duh... One zip tie per side holds everything tight during a crash. I've had 2 crashes both with this same, "Camera Saver" and there's no way to run around underneath it and hand catch it when it's dropping from the sky after a bird strike or motor failure... lol. I can see you trying to hand catch during a crash... Like Chicken Little, the Drone is falling, the drone is falling :) So you guys have noticed a difference when you fly in wind? hmmm... Mine flies fine with it on and I highly recommend it!
Yes I hand catch -

Reactions: Fourman
I have the same one and use 2 small zip ties on each side to secure it.

I hand catch, no noticeable wind issues.

It actually strengthens the landing gear by connecting both sides together.

Reactions: flpholt and Fourman
I feel that guard would cause a greater risk of tipping over if landing on a gravel area or somewhere grassy.

...but most the divas won't fly in cool areas so this doesn't cross their mind. I try to hand catch if possible but honestly - I'd rather remain in control of the remote fully than try to one hand the thing.

Somewhere there isn't dust, sand, bark dust, rain, fog, air, insects, clouds, wind, ect - pretty much anywhere their Bently drone would fly and get damage by.. anything.

Like.. I read a post where a guy doesn't fly at the beach because he didn't want to get sand in his motors. Come on.

Reactions: 0DRK3RT and Karanba
I feel that guard would cause a greater risk of tipping over if landing on a gravel area or somewhere grassy.

...but most the divas won't fly in cool areas so this doesn't cross their mind. I try to hand catch if possible but honestly - I'd rather remain in control of the remote fully than try to one hand the thing.
no when its over your head just hit auto land can even sit down rc then just hand catch real easy that way no tip over on landing which is a lot of times people wreck things again some will say your crazy for hand catching oh well haven't wreck mine yet

Reactions: HWCM
I bring it to 2m height and then come to the drone, RC in left arm, right arm under the phantom, then slowly with left arm descending, catching it with right and then holding left lever down until it turns off. Works great that way.

no when its over your head just hit auto land can even sit down rc then just hand catch real easy that way no tip over on landing which is a lot of times people wreck things again some will say your crazy for hand catching oh well haven't wreck mine yet

I haven't tried the autoland & hand catch yet. I have no problem hand catching. I often do it when at the beach, snow or tall grassy/unstable field (I often use my case as a take off point.. landing on it sometimes isn't as easy). Just not my go to landing method.

I haven't tried the autoland & hand catch yet. I have no problem hand catching. I often do it when at the beach, snow or tall grassy/unstable field (I often use my case as a take off point.. landing on it sometimes isn't as easy). Just not my go to landing method.
autoland is great don't have to mess with rc with one hand

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl