Gimbal Guard from Ebay

Somewhere there isn't dust, sand, bark dust, rain, fog, air, insects, clouds, wind, ect - pretty much anywhere their Bently drone would fly and get damage by.. anything.

Like.. I read a post where a guy doesn't fly at the beach because he didn't want to get sand in his motors. Come on.

New Phantom owners are usually Divas. Afraid of everything

Reactions: flpholt
New Phantom owners are usually Divas. Afraid of everything
yes they are don't even look at other drones guys dji is the best lol

I feel that guard would cause a greater risk of tipping over if landing on a gravel area or somewhere grassy.

...but most the divas won't fly in cool areas so this doesn't cross their mind. I try to hand catch if possible but honestly - I'd rather remain in control of the remote fully than try to one hand the thing.
That's exactly why I don't hand catch, is much better to have both hands on the sticks. RC anything are unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've landed in gravel, dirt, grass, on park picnic tables, all with the camera guard on and never tipped it over because the guard sits up inside of the legs a ½" or more above the feet. Plus with it flat on the outer edges it adds more stability for the grass landing.
DSC00907.JPG

I've landed in gravel, dirt, grass, on park picnic tables, all with the camera guard on and never tipped it over because the guard sits up inside of the legs a ½" or more above the feet. Plus with it flat on the outer edges it adds more stability for the grass landing.View attachment 55947
we where saying don't need one if you hand catch

we where saying don't need one if you hand catch

Hand Catching and Crash Protection are 2 different things. The guard saves the camera when the bird crashes. Even if you hand catch - you do need one for the time that it doesn't come home and instead crashes, that's when you won't be able to hand catch... :) It's not designed to keep the camera safe during landings or hand catches, it's for when the bird crashes. It's great protection for saving the camera and ribbon cables during a crash because it helps hold them in place so that they don't get banged into the ground or a rock on the initial contact. All UAV's crash sooner or later, it's just a matter of time.

I've had my P3A for 8+ months, crashed twice and only had to replace broken props, glue the camera mounting plate twice and straighten the shell once. Because the camera saver is installed on all of my Phantoms, (pictured earlier in this thread) my camera, gimbal, and ribbon cables have suffered no visible damage and still work perfectly after these 2 crashes because the plate helps hold the camera within the body of the P3 and keeps the cables intact on impact.

My worry with the guard is that if you land on top of an object it's more likely to tip over. There really is no WIN WIN in this situation. Yeah it'll protect the camera but it may cause damage to other sections of the bird if it tipped over.

Really can't argue the fact that adding more surface area to the landing base just invites more opportunity to not have a level landing if anywhere the ground has protruding objects to begin with (gavel for example).

Flip side if you do screw up and crash it could save your camera.

I dunno. I'm not sold. Hard to say it really helps. That's like me tossing you a bullet proof vest and I stand 50' back and aim 3 feet to your left and shoot. I didn't hit you.. because you were wearing a bullet proof vest lol 2nd shot I aim for your chest but hit your leg. I must have hit your leg instead because of the bullet proof vest. The point? Right place at the right time of impact is what it boils down to. So to say it protected your camera in two crashes is.. null

Reactions: flpholt
I didn't use the tie and lost the guard. Just use one very small tie. I don't use them anymore as I think the wind catches them and causes some problems. Anyone else think that?
I agree, I've also noticed that landing in grass it tends to land crooked and has a tendency to tip over.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bottom line is this isn't a must have.

But, I do think it's a good way to reinforce the overall strength of the flimsy landing gear.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L
My worry with the guard is that if you land on top of an object it's more likely to tip over...

I dunno. I'm not sold. Hard to say it really helps. That's like me tossing you a bullet proof vest and I stand 50' back and aim 3 feet to your left and shoot. I didn't hit you.. because you were wearing a bullet proof vest lol 2nd shot I aim for your chest but hit your leg. I must have hit your leg instead because of the bullet proof vest. The point? Right place at the right time of impact is what it boils down to. So to say it protected your camera in two crashes is.. null

How many times have you landed on top of any object? Wouldn't this object then hit the camera?

Your bullet proof vest example? You like acting silly :) If you haven't had a crash yet, that's great, does that make your silly bullet proof vest scenario null? Really, who cares :) lol.

It's a proven "Best Seller" that continues to save people time and money after the event of a crash.
Here's a quote from the Skyreat page -
"QUICK OVERVIEW
Protects your Gimbal, Ribbon cable & Camera - (will reduce tremendously or even prevent damage to your gear)
Easier & Safer Takeoff and landing (sand, snow, grass, trees, fence)
Clear camera view - You will not see the gimbal guard in frame
100% Carbon -fiber.
ADJUSTABLE and will NOT interfere with the VPS"

Every time I read about even a minor crash with a broken gimbal or camera in pieces, I see a UAV without the camera guard installed. DJI doesn't sell them with it because they really want to sell you a new camera when you crash. It's money well spent and my guard has paid for itself but the choice is still yours.
SKYREAT Gimbal Guard for DJI Phantom 3 -Protects Gimbal & Camera

The question is not if the guard is helping, I think that everybody can make a conclusion that it helps but it has wind drag and that may be the problem. Mine is not hard enough so I can conclude that ONLY real 2mm carbon can help, I cannot carry Phantom woth mine since it bends so this one is no go for me. And I dont see it being so mich wind drag, I mean whole landing gear and gimbal+camera make drag so I just dont see how few of you could even notice that this small addition to the landing gear can make it unstable, battery eater etc.

Here is one real carbon for great price:

Carbon Fiber Gimbal Camera Landing Guard Protect Boards For DJI Phantom 3 RC BA

Last edited:
I use one from Polar Pro and landing feet they work great. Gives me peace of mind.

Fullbird
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Food for thought. I have also zip tied my Gimbal Guard to my Phantom Pro using 4 small zip ties. My thinking is that I left a small loop about the size of my small finger between the tie and landing legs on each side. If I was to hit something rough on landing the free space in the loop would absorb some of the shock and also it would not put stress on the right and left landing legs. gosports1

Last edited:
No, I haven't had any issues.
I didn't use the tie and lost the guard. Just use one very small tie. I don't use them anymore as I think the wind catches them and causes some problems. Anyone else think that?

You miss understood him. Hand catching is what he does every time he lands. The guard is there for that time "just in case" he has to land it a little rough.
You don't put them on there to hand catch... You put them on to save the camera during a crash°°° Duh... One zip tie per side holds everything tight during a crash. I've had 2 crashes both with this same, "Camera Saver" and there's no way to run around underneath it and hand catch it when it's dropping from the sky after a bird strike or motor failure... lol. I can see you trying to hand catch during a crash... Like Chicken Little, the Drone is falling, the drone is falling :) So you guys have noticed a difference when you fly in wind? hmmm... Mine flies fine with it on and I highly recommend it!
Yes I hand catch -

No, I haven't had any issues.
in a hard crash gimble guard wont help anyways I'm with you on them if it was so important they would come on phantoms

The body of the quad would block that wind if it is tilted at an angle. It is a non issue.
It's not how thin it is that would matter, it's the surface area. As you fly the drone tilts into the wind and apparent wind. So if you are flying 20mph into a 10mph the Phantom is tilting a lot. This exposes the entire upper part of the guard to that 30mph wind. Granted, it's still at an angle.

To each their own... I'm just pointing out it's not the thickness that matters (.... when it comes to a gimbal guard).

True, I guess. I have one just for piece of mind. Funny thing, the day after I put mine on I was landing from 30-40 feet from me. I watched it almost touch the ground then it moved a little before touching down. I went to pick it up and there was a wooden stake in the ground. I landed directly on it, but the guard hit the stake and bumped the quad over a few inches. I don't know if it would have been an issue...but.
in a hard crash gimble guard wont help anyways I'm with you on them if it was so important they would come on phantoms

I bought one but never put it on learned hand catch from day one

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4