Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Gimbal Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by CDBettler, Sep 11, 2016.

1. CDBettler

Had my P3P recased few weeks back in NY at the DJI certified repair shop. Took a god awful long time and I don't want to send it back, but i got it back 1-2 weeks ago and haven't had a chance until today to start it up and put it in the sky again.

I flew it but didn't notice any issues. When i brought it up to my room to update the firmware tonight I heard a loud noise - after further investigation it's the gimbal fan... I thought it was catching on the little metal guard but i slightly bent it up with a screw driver and still same buzzing/vibrating noise. Noise only starts when the fan starts, and it stops if i stop the fan for a split second with my finger. I'm thinking it's just the bearing in there...

Should I try to get it replaced?

Should i try to find the part and buy it and solder the wires to the new one? The current wires seem to go inside the camera/gimbal and I'm a little weary of tearing into that.

Or should i just ignore it, fly it and keep an eye on it if it ever stops spinning or the gimbal gets too hot?

Sounds exactly like this video @ 30 seconds

Here is what i believe to be the correct replacement fan

Thank you in advance!

2. With The Birds

You should stop fiddling around with it in case you damage something. If it stops spinning (i doubt it will) replace it then.

3. kiteboy

You can't replace the fan by yourself without voiding warranty it goes welded to the gimbal mainboard!

It definitely sounds bad! I would try to have it fixed by DJI! If it stops or slows down during firmware upgrade/fly you will end up with a fried gimbal mainboard!

4. CDBettler

Had to figure out what it was! Would you suggest replacing it myself at that point?

5. CDBettler

Do you mean soldered to the board inside the gimbal? Two screws hold it on and if I get the new fan I could just use the old wires and solder them up with the new ones.

I bought the drone second hand a while back, I don't think I have any warranty to worry about.

6. kiteboy

Yes, it's soldered to the board! If warranty is not an issue then I would prefer to solder the new one directly to te board but that's just me, I've experience soldering!

If you're choosing to solder it to the existing cables then I recommend to use thermo shrink wrap! It needs to be well done! As I've said before! The life of your gimbal/camera depends on that little fan!