Gimbal Centering option in Apple version of DJI go 4 app

With the drone off, gently turn the top section of the gimbal (left and right turning) opposite the direction the camera is off center fully until it stops.
I did it and it worked but I am not suggesting anyone do it. Hope this helps.
Thanks mate. Yep I am curious, I'm not sure if I will give it a go but its nice to have options :) cheers!

Perhaps the GC is for a different model AC? Without the AC connected, the app doesn't know what model you have.
Then again, on the GO3, if you don't have an AC connected, no camera options.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

DO NOT try to fix the gimbal yourself!
First you might end up breaking it if you apply more strength than it should.
Anyway after the flight it goes back to the wrong position again..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

OK, I just got off the phone with a DJI support tech regarding the Camera Centering menu option. I have been mistakenly referring to it as Gimbal Centering. He said the CCing option will only appear when everything connected IF the system detects the "camera" is out of center (it has nothing to do with the gimbal). If it does appear he said you tap the menu option and it acts like the Gimbal Auto Calibration, meaning there are no manual adjustments it will auto calibrate the camera centering automatically. I'm just the messager, he acted like he know excactly what I was talking about. And it explains why the option would disappear if not needed.
Hope this helps someone

Last edited:
Reactions: AIRSPACE
OK, I just got off the phone with a DJI support tech regarding the Camera Centering menu option. I have been mistakenly referring to it as Gimbal Centering. He said the CCing option will only appear when everything connected IF the system detects the "camera" is out of center (it has nothing to do with the gimbal). If it does appear he said you tap the menu option and it acts like the Gimbal Auto Calibration, meaning there are no manual adjustments it will auto calibrate the camera centering automatically. I'm just the messager, he acted like he know excactly what I was talking about. And it explains why the option would disappear if not needed.
Hope this helps someone
Thank you TexasRT great info.. Interesting isnt it.. I swear I have seen it before but now nothing and this is the time where I feel like it is actually off centre I could use it :p

Thank you TexasRT great info.. Interesting isnt it.. I swear I have seen it before but now nothing and this is the time where I feel like it is actually off centre I could use it :p

Based on the info I was given the camera housing sitting off center would be a gimbal issue. The CCing option does not effect the gimbal alignment, it's for centering the veiw in the camera lense (internal).

I too have the off center camera. Mine is turned to the left about 5 degrees or so. I gently tried the manual turning of the camera with the controller off. At first I thought I had resolved the issue but after turning the unit on and off a couple of times it is right back where it was. Brand new P4P that hasn't even been flown. Bought it at Best Buy and of course their techs have no idea what a drone is let alone how to fix one. So now I am stuck with either returning it to Best Buy knowing they don't have any more in stock and either getting my money back or waiting for them to order me one (Best Buy isn't always good at orders) or contacting DJI and seeing what they have to say. Not very happy that I may already be headed for the send it back and we will look at it. I did buy the DJI refresh so it is covered but am thinking I may have made a poor decision on this drone. Hopefully not. Of course I have done all of the calibration steps as most of you have also done.

Anyone know if DJI plan to code a centering feature into the app similar to the horizon feature. I think it would be a good idea on there part and would prevent countless returns.

Has anyone noticed a difference when using a different device? I use my iPhone, but wonder if the camera angle would change any if I used an iPad? Just curious.

I too have the off center camera. Mine is turned to the left about 5 degrees or so. I gently tried the manual turning of the camera with the controller off. At first I thought I had resolved the issue but after turning the unit on and off a couple of times it is right back where it was. Brand new P4P that hasn't even been flown. Bought it at Best Buy and of course their techs have no idea what a drone is let alone how to fix one. So now I am stuck with either returning it to Best Buy knowing they don't have any more in stock and either getting my money back or waiting for them to order me one (Best Buy isn't always good at orders) or contacting DJI and seeing what they have to say. Not very happy that I may already be headed for the send it back and we will look at it. I did buy the DJI refresh so it is covered but am thinking I may have made a poor decision on this drone. Hopefully not. Of course I have done all of the calibration steps as most of you have also done.

Actually, search the DJI forums, as there is a simple "fix" for the issue. It was posted by DJI-Natalia.

To sum it up, with the aircraft off, basically turn the entire gimbal by hand in the OPPOSITE direction of the off-center location until it reaches a physical "stop". You don't need to crank it, but towards the limit in that direction it will feel a little "squishy" which is the suspension maxing out. Pushing it to the "stop" point allows it to recenter the suspension.

Do that a few times, bringing it back to center after each time. Turn on your bird and controller, then do a gimbal calibration with the bird sitting on it's back (basically tipped back with the camera facing towards the sky and the bird resting on the tips of the rear arms and the back corners of the landing gear). It should sit centered after that.

If it does not, then the gimbal suspension might be tweaked even worse. To fix that go to both extremes (left and right) with the gimbal as I mentioned earlier. Do that about 3-4 times in each direction, ending up with the OPPOSITE direction you had the off-center to as the last extreme movement. While you are doing that also check for anything that doesn't look right underneath (such as part of the rubber gimbal suspension sticking out of the hole). Then follow the gimbal calibration I outlined above.

If NONE of that works, then either return it or send it into DJI. I had an off-center camera and doing the above fixed it.

It's pretty sad we spend all this money on a drone and have to fix DJI poor manufacturing ourselves or have to suffer sending it in and play the crap shoot of DJI repair.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn