Gimbal Camera looks down after firmware update

Reaction score
Hi There, this is my fist post.

1) I bought a Phantm 2 Vision+ in Las Vegas (USA) and fly with no problem.
2) I bring to Buenos Aires (Argentina) and try to fly again (without any calibration)...
3) The Phantom fly crazy and crash. The gimbal camera was damage
4) After this crash, I can use the phantom and the camera with some small problems (like "Gimbal motor error"), and I have to loose a little some screws from the gimbal base so the gimbal arm doesn't touch the gimbal base.
5) It wasn't perfect, but I can use the phantom, film, move the camera. The only problem was that the camera was a liitle twisted, but that was the only big problem.
6) I connect the Phantom to PC and update the firmware
7) After update, I loose control on the camera. I cannot move anymore and if I activate the Camera gimbal control switch (the one that moves the camera with the movement of the phone), the camera looks dows and stays there. I cannot recover.

Here is a video that explain better the story:
http://youtu.be/Yqc4URV1bcQ
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Yqc4URV1bcQ[/youtube]

Does anybody know how to solve this?
How can I go back to the original firmware?

Thanks!

Tomas

You must calibrate the compass each time you change the area you fly in. Example, inside your neighborhood, No. Outside the neighborhood, yes. Very Important! This is a 30 second process with no excuse to not ever do a calibration.

Do yourself and others a huge favor,......read the manual. Other then that, I would say you have some features enabled that you can no longer use with replacing the parts damaged.

Your title is a bit misleading to be honest. Like Frank said if you did not know to Cal the compass after such a change of location then you did not read or understand the manual. That's the cause of your crash. You cannot blame a firmware update for it trying to work with a damaged gimbal! Get it fixed or replaced and try again. I'm referring to the OP here.

GSSP - If you have an issue I suggest to do a new post describing your own situation in detail unless you too flew to Argentina, did not calabrate the compass, crash and then did an update and expected it to work.

IrishSights said:
Your title is a bit misleading to be honest. Like Frank said if you did not know to Cal the compass after such a change of location then you did not read or understand the manual. That's the cause of your crash. You cannot blame a firmware update for it trying to work with a damaged gimbal! Get it fixed or replaced and try again. I'm referring to the OP here.

GSSP - If you have an issue I suggest to do a new post describing your own situation in detail unless you too flew to Argentina, did not calabrate the compass, crash and then did an update and expected it to work.
+1

Maybe I'm reading the OP wrong. The way I interpreted it, he's not complaining, he has a problem caused by a mistake that he acknowledges. He knows he should have calibrated the compass and knows he probably wouldn't have crashed if he had. OK...let's move on. Now, for whatever reason, he has a problem. Instead of beating him up over the mistakes that he has already acknowledged, can we just move to trying to help him solve his problem? Or is it not solvable and the only real solution is just throw in the towel and try to get it fixed? From Argentina?

MacCool said:
Maybe I'm reading the OP wrong. The way I interpreted it, he's not complaining, he has a problem caused by a mistake that he acknowledges. He knows he should have calibrated the compass and knows he probably wouldn't have crashed if he had. OK...let's move on. Now, for whatever reason, he has a problem. Instead of beating him up over the mistakes that he has already acknowledged, can we just move to trying to help him solve his problem? Or is it not solvable and the only real solution is just throw in the towel and try to get it fixed? From Argentina?
Nobody was beaten up by anybody. The leason to be learnd was just that you don't find a solution for a malfuntional gimbal after a crash that was possibly due to a forgotten recallibration, by directing/looking at the firmware upgrade as being the possible course.

Ok. Not sure if this will help but after I did the update I noticed my copter was flying crazy and the camera would only point down. So I tried lots of fixes but they didn't work. I was going through all my setting and noticed that the "NEW STYLE" remote had been selected. I know I had not selected this. I changed it back to basic remote. Fixed every issue I had.

So check the RC setting in your software. Try switching to whatever remote is not currently selected.
Hope this helps. It fixed my issues.

aartsf said:
MacCool said:
Nobody was beaten up by anybody. The leason to be learnd was just that you don't find a solution for a malfuntional gimbal after a crash that was possibly due to a forgotten recallibration, by directing/looking at the firmware upgrade as being the possible course.

I can understand why he would be suspicious of the firmware upgrade...it was limping along with his repairs until the upgrade, at which point it went TU. Yeah, some folks were more interested in self-righteously criticizing his pre-flight procedures than helping him with his current problem.

So, you're pretty experienced Phantom user. We already know how you feel about his pre-flight procedures (per your "+1"). What's your suggestion for fixing his problem?

Like has been said there is no beating up. From the OP text he has a problem stated at the end. In responding to this type of post it is always good to make it clear as to the path leading up to the problem. In my experience it is nearly always diagnostic, as it is in this case. It is important to state the corrective steps that would have led to problem not happening in the first. This part is to help the hundreds of others who maybe listening into these threads, as lessons if you like, for them. The OPer already knows these things, this is for others.

The 'fix' has also already been stated...I.e. get the gimbal repaired properly and do the update with a cleanly fixed Phantom. There is obviously more damage done there than loosening a few screws could fix. Helping is what is trying to be done here, for the OP and others, there is no axe to grind. A response like yours is one of the reasons I rarely post here anymore.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl