Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Getting my P3S Thursday, quad newbie looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by daytonlawvol, Oct 18, 2016.

1. daytonlawvol

as I am a quad newbie I have to ask for advice before my P3S comes in Thursday. What would you recommend for me/recommend against when it comes to effectively operating the P3S? Accessories to get: to avoid. What is the Litchi app? Just looking for overall advice for beginners...thanks!

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can find a lot of tips and commonly used accessories at PhantomHelp.com. Litchi is an alternative to DJI GO. It would be a good idea to start with DJI GO and try other 3rd party apps after you master that. Depending on what you plan to do with your Phantom, DJI GO might do everything you need it to do.

3. extremetm

My first month I took it to an open field and went real slow. Had it on Beginner mode the first two flights. Then disabled that but put distance\altitude limits making sure it was always in eyesight. Once I got comfortable with that, I opened it up. For me personally GPS mode mode with RTH is just fine for now. I may or may not ever put it in Atti mode.

The main thing is to move the controller sticks slow and easy and don't panic. Let it hover if you need to think about what you're going to do next etc.

I got a backpack to travel. Heading to NY in two weeks and can't wait to fly it there. A parabolic antenna booster more than doubled my distance. You can pick one up for around $8.

4. captainmilehigh

Once you get your Phantom, take your time getting started. Read the manual front to back. Then do it again. There is a lot of important information you need to know before you fly. While you are waiting for your bird to arrive, check out msinger's site 'Phantomhelp.com'. It has a bunch of useful information on everything Phantom. Be sure to select the appropriate box at the top of the page for your P3S. Also, msinger is a regular on Phantompilots.

And, if you search the site and still have questions, just ask away. There are many other pilots on PhantomPilots that will help answer your questions. Fly Safe !! ...and Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thebigman likes this.
  5. captainmilehigh

QuickDraw, you beat me to it!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

msinger likes this.
  6. Alan Russel

Hi just a couple of tips..keep quad in beginner mode for a while and learn to fly in maybe in a quiet people free area (no distractions then) don't fly over water, and watch the wind, if it is strong don't fly! like anything the more you fly the better pilot you will become. enjoy

Thebigman likes this.
  7. CrispyClaret

As said, read the instructions over and over. You can leave the props off and play with controls in your home. Look at the checklists on this site as they are very usefull. Might be worth learning how to alter how the control sticks respond, I have my % fairly low so nothing happens too fast.
    Wind is a big fun killer, look at tops of trees and you will see how it changes with height.
    Never never never use both sticks to stop the props, its a bad habit to learn and if you accidentally do it while flying you can kiss your birdie bye bye.
    Stay in beginner mode
    Watch out for power lines, telephone wires etc
    Set your return to home at a higher height than you think reasonable, saves getting caught out by terrain height variations and rogue trees.

Thebigman likes this.
  8. Neon Euc

Also double check in the settings that the phantom will return home and not just hover if you lose signal. I would recommend getting a gimble guard too

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Scooter Post 127 and Thebigman like this.
  9. makokiller

The best advice is DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!! JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Biggle likes this.
  10. msinger

Approved Vendor

Why not?

11. makokiller

Have you not seen like every other post on the forums about people who have had problems with upgrading? And how do you downgrade, and my range sucks. I have v 1.2 and will never upgrade, and my range is almost 2 miles.

12. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes, I've seen many firmware-related posts and have helped many people with firmware installation issues (mostly caused by user error). The problems you're referring to represent a very small number of Phantom owners. Many people fear firmware updates simply because people like you put that fear into their heads.

Roguesixx likes this.
  13. makokiller

Hey, if your drone works great, and does everything you need it to do, then why mess with it? Moving up to the newest thing isn't always the greatest thing to do. (Samsung Note 7)

Matt09 and Biggle like this.
  14. msinger

Approved Vendor

Fortunately for you, firmware updates are optional. That allows those with great unfounded fears to ignore the updates. IMHO, it's a great idea to install firmware updates after they are known to be stable.

Roguesixx likes this.
  15. daytonlawvol

Well I decided to go ahead and bump up to the Advanced version, should be better and last longer! Will be here friday

Thebigman and Neon Euc like this.
  16. Neon Euc

You will not regret that At all. I done the same. Never looked back

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thebigman likes this.
  17. jcrawford

You talk about the booster for $8 doubling your distance. Is this for a P3S and if so where did you buy it at???
    Thx
    jcrawford

18. Biggle

19. makokiller

20. dpicx68

Buy a toy brushless quad for 50bux and learn how to fly.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Speedracer1190 likes this.