Futaba T6J verses the T8FG

I think you need a minimum of 8 channels. The T8J is commonly used on the P2 but oddly, I don't see it on their site. Hmmm...

As for FHSS vs. FASST, there's a lot of information out there and a lot of it conflicting. This is what I have learned. (S)-FHSS is the "low cost" option from Futaba while FASST is the "high-end" though many would argue that the difference isn't that noticeable. S-FHSS will hop to different frequencies when it encounter interference. FASST uses a more sophisticated algorithm that is always frequency hopping. This may be most noticeable in busy areas with a lot of 2.4GHz activity which is the main reason I have the 8FGS. I've read a number of posts in different places from seasoned RC guys (post counts >5,000) who swear that FASST is the most resilient to interference. Range wise, I don't think there is much difference.

And don't let the poo-pooers give you the impression that the Futaba won't get the same range as the stock RC. People are getting phenomenal range results with the stock transmitter (>4km) but the stock system is based on Futaba's own protocols (S-FHSS I think) and if the Futaba antennas are installed properly, you should get similar range. Another option is to keep the stock receiver and use only the Futaba transmitter.

ianwood said:
I think you need a minimum of 8 channels. The T8J is commonly used on the P2 but oddly, I don't see it on their site. Hmmm...

As for FHSS vs. FASST, there's a lot of information out there and a lot of it conflicting. This is what I have learned. (S)-FHSS is the "low cost" option from Futaba while FASST is the "high-end" though many would argue that the difference isn't that noticeable. S-FHSS will hop to different frequencies when it encounter interference. FASST uses a more sophisticated algorithm that is always frequency hopping. This may be most noticeable in busy areas with a lot of 2.4GHz activity which is the main reason I have the 8FGS. I've read a number of posts in different places from seasoned RC guys (post counts >5,000) who swear that FASST is the most resilient to interference. Range wise, I don't think there is much difference.

And don't let the poo-pooers give you the impression that the Futaba won't get the same range as the stock RC. People are getting phenomenal range results with the stock transmitter (>4km) but the stock system is based on Futaba's own protocols (S-FHSS I think) and if the Futaba antennas are installed properly, you should get similar range. Another option is to keep the stock receiver and use only the Futaba transmitter.

Thanks for the response!

Correct me if I'm wrong... S-bus is needed for the P2 correct? I don't believe the FHSS recievers have S-bus.

So, if the stock P2 reciever is compatable with Futaba transmitters, and the range is the same, why change the reciever to a Futaba? Which is the stock Phantom reciever, FASST or FHSS?

DesertFlyer53 said:
Thanks for the response!

Correct me if I'm wrong... S-bus is needed for the P2 correct? I don't believe the FHSS recievers have S-bus.

So, if the stock P2 reciever is compatable with Futaba transmitters, and the range is the same, why change the reciever to a Futaba? Which is the stock Phantom reciever, FASST or FHSS?

If range is your thing, probably no need to change the stock receiver. If you're flying in busy areas with a lot potential interference the FASST receiver will likely give you more protection. I believe the P2 stock receiver is FHSS but I don't know for sure. It could be a limited version of FASST. Does anyone know if you can use the T8J with the stock receiver?

Found this in my notes:

Futaba S-FHSS. FHSS system, 30 hopping frequencies always located on one side of the 2.4GHz band.

Futaba FASST. Hybrid FH/DSS system, 36 hopping frequencies spread across the entire 2.4GHz band. The individual signal is a much, much wider bandwidth signal as compared to S-FHSS.

Futaba FASSTest. Hybrid FH/DSS system, 22 hopping frequencies, the individual signal is a much wider bandwidth signal as compared to FASST.

ianwood said:
I believe the P2 stock receiver is FHSS but I don't know for sure. It could be a limited version of FASST. Does anyone know if you can use the T8J with the stock receiver?

The P2 stock receiver is a FASST receiver not an FHSS. Therefore the T8J Tx won't work with the stock receiver and you'd need one of Futaba's FASST boxes... T8FG, 10CG, 14SG etc.

If you want to go down the FHSS route then the T8J works well, easy to install the receiver (single cable to connect). You'll need to also get some extension antennae for the Futaba receivers as the stock ones don't allow for good placement.

There are three good step-by-step guides on this forum on how to fit & configure T8FG, T8J & 14SG systems.

goldfishrock said:
ianwood said:
I believe the P2 stock receiver is FHSS but I don't know for sure. It could be a limited version of FASST. Does anyone know if you can use the T8J with the stock receiver?

The P2 stock receiver is a FASST receiver not an FHSS. Therefore the T8J Tx won't work with the stock receiver and you'd need one of Futaba's FASST boxes... T8FG, 10CG, 14SG etc.

If you want to go down the FHSS route then the T8J works well, easy to install the receiver (single cable to connect). You'll need to also get some extension antennae for the Futaba receivers as the stock ones don't allow for good placement.

There are three good step-by-step guides on this forum on how to fit & configure T8FG, T8J & 14SG systems.

Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl