FPV Question.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I will be purchasing the Phantom 2 in the next few days as I have been making a choice, I was going to go with the new Phantom 3 but I couldn't justify spending that much on a drone when I am just going to be using it for fun/hobby and I already have a GoPro. In saying that the reason I almost got the Phantom 3 is the built in live view via the app which the Phantom 2 doesn't have and when looking online some FPV kits look quite expense. Is there cheaper kits out there? What do you guys use and around how much are they? This feature is a must have for me as I would love to see what the drones camera is seeing rather then after landing then looking off the GoPro.

Any help is much appreciated.

Is this arena the saying is you get what you pay for. As for FPV there are a lot of choices and its best to look at the reviews and talk to others who have succeeded and failed at the FPV installation. There are cheaper units available one source is www.bangood.com. Good luck and we hope you find what you want and need.

Welcome to the forum .
So your getting a P2 W/zenmuse ? Make sure you get the 2.0 .
My P1 I got a fat shark kit it came with everything it was like $300 plus the wire to go to the gopro .
My P2 I pieced together a system
Immersion 600 transmitter
Black Pearl receiver/monitor
Iosd mini (must have) IMO
And the big thing for good signal antennas
The best out there FPVLR he is a member here .
Have a look at the FPV section of the forum there are many setups like stated above you get what you pay for take some time and read up on the different setups and ask some questions we have a good group of people here .

Reactions: Christy
When I was looking for an FPV setup, I seriously considered the helipal.com setups. All-in-one and cheapest I found.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Video_TX_RX_CP_Antennas_and_Camera_PNF_.html

I purchased this kit in December for my P2. It comes with cables to plug into a GoPro. I've not used it as goggles, though. I mounted the receiver and monitor into a small electronics box from Harbor Freight. In all, it works well.

That being said, on my GoPro Hero3+ Silver, I got a feed when shooting stills and video. On my GoPro Hero4 Black, I get a feed when shooting video but a "camera busy" message when I'm shooting stills. So depending on which camera you're using, it may or may not work for you.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Video_TX_RX_CP_Antennas_and_Camera_PNF_.html

I purchased this kit in December for my P2. It comes with cables to plug into a GoPro. I've not used it as goggles, though. I mounted the receiver and monitor into a small electronics box from Harbor Freight. In all, it works well.

That being said, on my GoPro Hero3+ Silver, I got a feed when shooting stills and video. On my GoPro Hero4 Black, I get a feed when shooting video but a "camera busy" message when I'm shooting stills. So depending on which camera you're using, it may or may not work for you.
Could you post a pic of your setup in the HarborFreight box? do you mean one of their cases?

Could you post a pic of your setup in the HarborFreight box? do you mean one of their cases?

Here's how I set it up.

The box is an instrument or electronics tool/storage box from Harbor Freight. It cost about $15 on sale. I purchased a small $2 steel flange from Lowe's that has standard tripod threading, drilled a hole in the bottom of the box, and mounted the flange on the inside of the box with the threaded neck coming out the bottom. This way I can mount the box to a tripod, if wanted.

On the top inside of the box, I removed a portion of the lining and glued a rectangular ceramic magnet. I then glued an identical magnet to the back of the monitor. The two magnets keep the monitor in place, but also make it easy to remove, if necessary.

I drilled a hole near one of the box latches for the receiver antenna to extend. And the receiver is held into place with industrial velcro. All the wiring in the top of the box is held into place with gaffers tape.

There's 1-inch pick-n-pluck foam in the top of the box, and 2-inch pick-n-pluck foam in the bottom. The two sheets of foam totaled about $10. I plucked only enough foam to expose the magnet in the top of the box and make the connection with the monitor. I plucked a receiver-sized hole to expose it. I suppose the receiver wouldn't have to be exposed if you didn't want it to be.

In the bottom of the box, I plucked storage spaces for my antennas, the FPV transmitter that mounts to my Phantom, and the wooden box you see. The wooden box came from Michael's and also was about $2. It's large enough to hold two 1000mAh 3S lipo batteries; one to power the receiver and monitor, and a spare. One battery will run the receiver and monitor about 40 minutes.

After I plucked all the foam I needed, I sprayed both sheets with Rust-Oleum Flexidip. It's about $6 a can. Flexidip essentially is a rubber spray paint. It gives the pick-n-pluck foam a finished look - hiding all the scoring. It also binds the foam together some.

All the electronics on this rig runs at 5.8Ghz, so not to interfere with the Phantom's 2.4Ghz transmitter.

On a good day, I can easily get a reliable FPV signal at a quarter mile or more. But humidity - and I live in a very humid climate - as well as trees and other obstacles can reduce your range. I've been at some locations when it is humid, or there's a cell tower 100 yards away, and lost my FPV signal at 100 feet. So realize there are variables that will affect 5.8Ghz performance.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with this set-up. Most of my flying is done away from most things that can diminish the FPV range.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 299
Great! Thanks for the detailed info and picture... really helps!
What transmitter do you use in the Phantom? What power?

Hi RoyKron3,
interesting setup! I wonder how you manage to stay in direction to the P2. If your rx antenna is directional, so you're going to rotate the whole box?

Here's how I set it up.

The box is an instrument or electronics tool/storage box from Harbor Freight. It cost about $15 on sale. I purchased a small $2 steel flange from Lowe's that has standard tripod threading, drilled a hole in the bottom of the box, and mounted the flange on the inside of the box with the threaded neck coming out the bottom. This way I can mount the box to a tripod, if wanted.

On the top inside of the box, I removed a portion of the lining and glued a rectangular ceramic magnet. I then glued an identical magnet to the back of the monitor. The two magnets keep the monitor in place, but also make it easy to remove, if necessary.

I drilled a hole near one of the box latches for the receiver antenna to extend. And the receiver is held into place with industrial velcro. All the wiring in the top of the box is held into place with gaffers tape.

There's 1-inch pick-n-pluck foam in the top of the box, and 2-inch pick-n-pluck foam in the bottom. The two sheets of foam totaled about $10. I plucked only enough foam to expose the magnet in the top of the box and make the connection with the monitor. I plucked a receiver-sized hole to expose it. I suppose the receiver wouldn't have to be exposed if you didn't want it to be.

In the bottom of the box, I plucked storage spaces for my antennas, the FPV transmitter that mounts to my Phantom, and the wooden box you see. The wooden box came from Michael's and also was about $2. It's large enough to hold two 1000mAh 3S lipo batteries; one to power the receiver and monitor, and a spare. One battery will run the receiver and monitor about 40 minutes.

After I plucked all the foam I needed, I sprayed both sheets with Rust-Oleum Flexidip. It's about $6 a can. Flexidip essentially is a rubber spray paint. It gives the pick-n-pluck foam a finished look - hiding all the scoring. It also binds the foam together some.

All the electronics on this rig runs at 5.8Ghz, so not to interfere with the Phantom's 2.4Ghz transmitter.

On a good day, I can easily get a reliable FPV signal at a quarter mile or more. But humidity - and I live in a very humid climate - as well as trees and other obstacles can reduce your range. I've been at some locations when it is humid, or there's a cell tower 100 yards away, and lost my FPV signal at 100 feet. So realize there are variables that will affect 5.8Ghz performance.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with this set-up. Most of my flying is done away from most things that can diminish the FPV range.
o

Hi RoyKron3,
interesting setup! I wonder how you manage to stay in direction to the P2. If your rx antenna is directional, so you're going to rotate the whole box?

o

I've got cloverleaf antenna on the transmitter and receiver.

I've got cloverleaf antenna on the transmitter and receiver.

Got it. Anyway, i tried the cloverleaf on rx side but got much better range with helix.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl