FPV Goggles App... Low Cost Goggles Solution?

Since this was my first go at FPV goggles, I don't know how I would rate them. All I know is they make the details standout by blocking the ambient light.

(1) being that they feel like a phone strapped to your face and (10) being you felt like you were actually a passenger aboard your drone. Would they be closer to 1, to 10, or somewhere in the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) being that they feel like a phone strapped to your face and (10) being you felt like you were actually a passenger aboard your drone. Would they be closer to 1, to 10, or somewhere in the middle?

I would say its 9 :)
I hope there will be something even beter

Reactions: kontek

Using that criteria, I would say a 7....

Is it decent for occasional use? I'm in a position where I want to give the whole FPV thing a try, but at the same time I couldn't picture myself actually taking it outside of my own property because of how silly goggles look. Even in our backyard my wife will laugh at me. At $40 bucks I can give FPV a try without having to use it a lot to get my monies worth.

Thank you for that post! That was hilarious! I can totally relate. I live I. San Francisco with lots of very scenic places to fly so unless you piss someone off its nice to fly here. I fly out to Alcatraz all the time. So like you I wanted to try out fpv so I bought the headplays. The cost was fine but I soon discovered that I can't focus that closely anymore so have to use some cheep reading glasses in conjunction with them that only works only. The funny part is that there is NO WAY I could possibly go out into the real and wear those things. Their are so freekin hideous. And I'd likely get attacked by a homeless dude in the park while I couldn't see them! Heck. I would r blame them to targeting some jackass with that thing on his head. I would just for the fun if it. ;-)

Luckily I can fly off of the roof of the building I live in where I'm the only person up there and I only feel sorry for my own lack of dignity. That said I can make it to Alcatraz all of fischermans warf, all the way over downtown and the transamerica building (not that I'd ever actually do that) and just the other day I made it all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge from home. Cool and the goggles do make it feel a bit more real. But if I didn't have my hiding spot I would have never had the experience.

Thanks for your past and the laughs.

P.S. My girlfriend relentlessly makes fun of me. Thank goodness I'm good with life or she might have pushed me over the edge with her taunting. 8 stories onto the concrete would do the job.

So I guess my message to everyone is just like you're preparing for a LSD trip to Lala land, when you FPV be sure first that you're secure in your own self worth and depression does t run in your family! Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Reactions: kontek
Thank you for that post! That was hilarious! I can totally relate. I live I. San Francisco with lots of very scenic places to fly so unless you piss someone off its nice to fly here. I fly out to Alcatraz all the time. So like you I wanted to try out fpv so I bought the headplays. The cost was fine but I soon discovered that I can't focus that closely anymore so have to use some cheep reading glasses in conjunction with them that only works only. The funny part is that there is NO WAY I could possibly go out into the real and wear those things. Their are so freekin hideous. And I'd likely get attacked by a homeless dude in the park while I couldn't see them! Heck. I would r blame them to targeting some jackass with that thing on his head. I would just for the fun if it. ;-)

Luckily I can fly off of the roof of the building I live in where I'm the only person up there and I only feel sorry for my own lack of dignity. That said I can make it to Alcatraz all of fischermans warf, all the way over downtown and the transamerica building (not that I'd ever actually do that) and just the other day I made it all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge from home. Cool and the goggles do make it feel a bit more real. But if I didn't have my hiding spot I would have never had the experience.

P.S. My girlfriend relentlessly makes fun of me. Thank goodness I'm good with life or she might have pushed me over the edge with her taunting. 8 stories onto the concrete would do the job.

So I guess my message to everyone is just like you're preparing for a LSD trip to Lala land, when you FPV be sure first that you're secure in your own self worth and depression does t run in your family! Ha ha ha ha!!!!
Put the goggles on anyone laughing, they will soon stop when they can see what the eagles see every day:)

Nice honest review. Do you feel that it was worth the price of headplay even though you only use it at home? Even on my own property I would probably still fly with a spotter with me just to be safe. Someone else in your building could come up on the roof...just too vulnerable. Im live in Bay Area San Leandro and I fly with a friend from walnut creek pretty often until he crashed his P3P on the beach after flying out over the golden gate. I'm personally am not daring enough to do extended flights over water but I'm getting there. I'm actually planning to shoot over downtown Oakland today.

Nice honest review. Do you feel that it was worth the price of headplay even though you only use it at home? Even on my own property I would probably still fly with a spotter with me just to be safe. Someone else in your building could come up on the roof...just too vulnerable. Im live in Bay Area San Leandro and I fly with a friend from walnut creek pretty often until he crashed his P3P on the beach after flying out over the golden gate. I'm personally am not daring enough to do extended flights over water but I'm getting there. I'm actually planning to shoot over downtown Oakland today.

Is it worth it or not? Well to me it's worth it but I don't see $250 or $350 with the HDMI board as being very much of an investment. To someone else that might be a much larger portion of their overall funds than it is to me. I'm not trying to be snotty just practical.

As far as going out over the water for extended periods of time... The advice I'd give generally is don't gamble with something you can't afford to lose. I feel like my P3P has already paid for itself in the value of the pictures and video that I've gotten from it. If I lost it yes it would suck and I wouldn't be happy but I feel like it's already given back to me value I put into it. So I'd move on and buy whatever the P4 is. So I think it's all a matter of perspective.

All that said they are damned cool to see through but they've got a long way to go before they're great. Much innovation coming over the few years. Be sure your funding your upgrade funds bucket we're all gonna need it? :)

Yes I've tried it. In stereo it is better than cloud light and fpvcamera, and is by far the easiest to set up for vr goggles. However as it is in stereo for vr so the resolution is less than half as with all other apps.

By far best solution so far is original dji go app in 2D with quanum v2 cheap headset. Throw away (or sell on ebay[emoji3]) the monitor and replace with smartphone. Add +2 reading lenses at viewer end for a fairly good picture. Fresnel is ok ish . Overall result is better than anything that you can buy at present

I rilly wanna try those goggles though and see the difference if its worth changing hdmi board n buy goggles.. Big investment again.. I wonder if its rilly immersive n ull feel like ur rilly flying.

I bought FPV camera app and tested it once this weekend but after getting everything set up lawn chair in the backyard, wife acting as a spotter, phone loaded in my VR box, etc. I got airborn and the app froze. The P3 was just hovering above my house while I tried to get it working and finally I gave and switched to DJI go. I wasn't blown away by 10 seconds it worked so I didn't try again this weekend, but I will give it another try at some point. On the plus side I love the VR box itself and I've downloaded a ton of Google cardboard apps so that was definitely $20 well spent.

I got both fpv camera n dronevr.. I dnt know if its my vrbox thats wrong or something. But im not so impress.. Just ok. Maybe used to it now. First time i used it i was happy, then later on i think my eyesight has changed . It could be the lens of the box coz its a very cheap one at about 8 usd. Ill get the actual vr box brand if i can find here in hk

So for iPad it's FPVcamera and Litchi is in beta.....correct?

Last edited:
Yes I've tried it. In stereo it is better than cloud light and fpvcamera, and is by far the easiest to set up for vr goggles. However as it is in stereo for vr so the resolution is less than half as with all other apps.

By far best solution so far is original dji go app in 2D with quanum v2 cheap headset. Throw away (or sell on ebay[emoji3]) the monitor and replace with smartphone. Add +2 reading lenses at viewer end for a fairly good picture. Fresnel is ok ish . Overall result is better than anything that you can buy at present

+1 for the Quanum headset. I sold a kit awhile back and am regretting it.

Does anyone know if I have the option to remove the map from the dual screen FPV mode in the FPV Goggles App?

Last edited:
We can add options to disable navigation map and custom telemetry in FPV Goggles mode. I'm curious why don't you want to show a map?

I don't even have the goggles yet. It was only a thought and I feel like it might make it more immersive. Thoughts?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl