FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: FPV Booster app DOUBLE FPV Range

Maybe dji just put in a safeguard for boosting the wifi in the drone?
If the locked the firmware in a specific mw for the wifi.
Maybe test the command manually via ssh and see if it fails.

In reading some of the post in this thread, I really think you should be patient and make more flights as you normally would prior to v3.06. It only takes a few changes in the climate to have an effect on flights. I have had days when it would be clear the sky be nice and blue and not be able to fly beyond 1900ft. Then come out the very next day and have it overcast with the cloud ceiling starting at 1200ft and climb into the 3600ft range.
When your days vary from one day to the next is generally when you start learning how other changes can make a difference. I have a lot more of these kind of details listed on my website, but I'll share some here as well.

*It is very important to lay your antenna down along the top of the transmitter. Look at the attached image for a reference.

You also notice I removed the outer sleeve on my antenna. You will want to hold your transmitter so that you aim the side of the antenna towards your quad. When you begin getting close to your "distance redzone" and the 'control signal lost' or 'lost connection' start appearing more frequent, you will to continue to aim the side of antenna, and now start walking arould the area in which you are standing....while watching the wifi reception display on the transmitter. Once you can get everything in that area active again, go to next tip.
*At this point it's time to switch from GPS mode to atti mode located on the S1 toggle switch. This will give you more control with a little less GPS steadiness. This is also the point in which must understand you are now using your last means of defense so to speak. If you push the limits and get lost connection, and know you have the transmitter pointed directly at the quad, your only hope is to begin going in the direction where the quad is in the sky to regain connection. If your battery is reaching your safe point, then in this case do NOT walk in the direction of the quad but run! At this point it is also possible that you may need to reconnect to the wifi again. Check it manually because it very well may not do it on it's own like you might be use to. If at any time you can establish a connection, then positively right away while you have a connection Shut The Transmitter off and it will automatically go into RTF and you can then start to breath again.

This info I shared is golden. Unfortunately I have too much experience with losing phantom visions to fly aways. There is other tips for sharing, but the one thing I want to mention is the best reception when the quad is facing away from you. If you know you are near the end of your flight, it's best to fly backwards a couple hundred feet before turning around.

Attachments

• 1TX.jpg
    1TX.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 296

tizzl10 said:
Odd... in a location where I consistently get 10,000+ feet distance, after upgrading to the new firmware Im only getting about 6400 feet distance. Will downgrade back to the previous firmware and fly again tomorrow.

Have you checked your flight limits. After you upgraded, maybe they defaulted to a lower number than you previously had set?

Edit: on second thought, you would know if this was the problem because you wouldn't lose signal, so must be something else going on. Would like to help test, but can't get out for a few days. Maybe someone else can help resolve in the meantime.

ToddSmi said:
tizzl10 said:
Odd... in a location where I consistently get 10,000+ feet distance, after upgrading to the new firmware Im only getting about 6400 feet distance. Will downgrade back to the previous firmware and fly again tomorrow.

Have you checked your flight limits. After you upgraded, maybe they defaulted to a lower number than you previously had set?

Im talking about wifi range.. after that first flight, I went back home and downgraded to the previous version firmware...took it back out and my wifi range went back up to about 9800 feet. I will test again this weekend. As far as I can tell for now, something in the new firmware degrades my wifi range but I wont be able to safely say this without testing both versions more.

PVFlyer said:
Does anybody test FPV range of the latest 3.06 firmware WITHOUT booster app nor other mods, comparing to 3.04? I would like to know whether 3.06 affecting the FPV range on complete stock P2V+ setup.

I went 2500 ft last night with no mods, no apps. Have it on Flytrex live. That altitude was just where I stopped. I could have gone about 250ft further. Based on the conditions and past experience, I would have to say that the distance performance was same as v3.04. But there seems to be some improvement in the wifi/video. It flew further before video connection showed signs of getting a lost connection.

Btw, what I wouldn't give for someone to have adjustable descend rate. 4.5mph all the way down blows ***!

Geert said:
flyNfrank said:
Look at the attached image for a reference.

Thanks for the useful info.
Uhhhh.... where is the image ?

Geert./.

I had totally forgot to add it. It's there now. Thanks!

tizzl10 said:
ToddSmi said:
tizzl10 said:

Im talking about wifi range.. after that first flight, I went back home and downgraded to the previous version firmware...took it back out and my wifi range went back up to about 9800 feet. I will test again this weekend. As far as I can tell for now, something in the new firmware degrades my wifi range but I wont be able to safely say this without testing both versions more.
Yep, after I left the message I edited it :oops: . Very strange you are experiencing that though - keep us posted.

Im talking about wifi range.. after that first flight, I went back home and downgraded to the previous version firmware...took it back out and my wifi range went back up to about 9800 feet. I will test again this weekend. As far as I can tell for now, something in the new firmware degrades my wifi range but I wont be able to safely say this without testing both versions more.[/quote]
Yep, after I left the message I edited it :oops: . Very strange you are experiencing that though - keep us posted.[/quote]

i just upgraded back to the new version..about to go out shortly and retest my wifi distance. im hoping yesterday was just a fluke.

flyNfrank said:
In reading some of the post in this thread, I really think you should be patient and make more flights as you normally would prior to v3.06. It only takes a few changes in the climate to have an effect on flights. I have had days when it would be clear the sky be nice and blue and not be able to fly beyond 1900ft. Then come out the very next day and have it overcast with the cloud ceiling starting at 1200ft and climb into the 3600ft range.
When your days vary from one day to the next is generally when you start learning how other changes can make a difference. I have a lot more of these kind of details listed on my website, but I'll share some here as well.

*It is very important to lay your antenna down along the top of the transmitter. Look at the attached image for a reference.

You also notice I removed the outer sleeve on my antenna. You will want to hold your transmitter so that you aim the side of the antenna towards your quad. When you begin getting close to your "distance redzone" and the 'control signal lost' or 'lost connection' start appearing more frequent, you will to continue to aim the side of antenna, and now start walking arould the area in which you are standing....while watching the wifi reception display on the transmitter. Once you can get everything in that area active again, go to next tip.
*At this point it's time to switch from GPS mode to atti mode located on the S1 toggle switch. This will give you more control with a little less GPS steadiness. This is also the point in which must understand you are now using your last means of defense so to speak. If you push the limits and get lost connection, and know you have the transmitter pointed directly at the quad, your only hope is to begin going in the direction where the quad is in the sky to regain connection. If your battery is reaching your safe point, then in this case do NOT walk in the direction of the quad but run! At this point it is also possible that you may need to reconnect to the wifi again. Check it manually because it very well may not do it on it's own like you might be use to. If at any time you can establish a connection, then positively right away while you have a connection Shut The Transmitter off and it will automatically go into RTF and you can then start to breath again.

This info I shared is golden. Unfortunately I have too much experience with losing phantom visions to fly aways. There is other tips for sharing, but the one thing I want to mention is the best reception when the quad is facing away from you. If you know you are near the end of your flight, it's best to fly backwards a couple hundred feet before turning around.

Good advice for aircraft, bad advice for Phantoms with vertically polarized RX antenna mounting. For Phantoms the TX antenna should be vertical to match the model. Orienting omni directional antennas 90 degrees from each other gives extreme attenuation. Also, stripping the antenna seems a bit extreme as well but whatever floats your boat.

OK, so i just re-tested the wifi range of 3.06 and now it appears to be fine..i cant explain why i was getting lower range distances yesterday..will do more tests this weekend. sorry..didn't mean to raise alarm. :oops:

tizzl10 said:
OK, so i just re-tested the wifi range of 3.06 and now it appears to be fine..i cant explain why i was getting lower range distances yesterday..will do more tests this weekend. sorry..didn't mean to raise alarm. :oops:

Whew, glad to hear that! Thanks for the report.

I'm in Hawaii trying to master the art of following a surfer, it's hard! I'm just dying for the 7th channel tilt!!! The app tilt is killing me, jerky, sometimes it just goes full up of down when touched.

It appears that version 2 of the DE hardware tilt is also a bust so this remains our only hope!

PVFlyer said:
Does anybody test FPV range of the latest 3.06 firmware WITHOUT booster app nor other mods, comparing to 3.04? I would like to know whether 3.06 affecting the FPV range on complete stock P2V+ setup.

I finally had a chance to go out and fly tonight after I had done all of the updates several days ago. I have both a Samsung S4 (android) and iPad mini that I use for displays.

At first I used the android without any booster and flew my normal pattern. FPV started to break up at the normal distance I had experienced before the updates. Brought phantom back closer and boosted it, and took it back out again. distance was significantly improved as was the case before the updates. I then landed and flew with the iPad mini and had the exact same experience.

It did appear that the FPV was smoother and I had absolutely no breaks or pixelations until I was at my max distance.

For me I did not see any effect on the booster app with the new firmware.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
PVFlyer said:

I finally had a chance to go out and fly tonight after I had done all of the updates several days ago. I have both a Samsung S4 (android) and iPad mini that I use for displays.

At first I used the android without any booster and flew my normal pattern. FPV started to break up at the normal distance I had experienced before the updates. Brought phantom back closer and boosted it, and took it back out again. distance was significantly improved as was the case before the updates. I then landed and flew with the iPad mini and had the exact same experience.

It did appear that the FPV was smoother and I had absolutely no breaks or pixelations until I was at my max distance.

yes, i re-did my test flight today on 3.06 and it went fine. i dont know what was going on yesterday with my wifi link. odd. thanks for posting your results.

tizzl10 said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
PVFlyer said:

yes, i re-did my test flight today on 3.06 and it went fine. i dont know what was going on yesterday with my wifi link. odd. thanks for posting your results.
Thanks folks for your updates. It seems 3.06 FPV range is normal with/without booster app. It clears my worry about something done in DJI app of iOS 1.0.42 & Android 1.0.52.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart