FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: FPV Booster app DOUBLE FPV Range

Anyone using FPVLR Stage 2 (pinwheel & half sphere antenna) with the wifi range extender and FPV booster app? I tested this setup for the first time today and left a little confused... Here is why...

Tizz110 who has a lot of long distance flying experience informed me that he routinely achieves around 10,000 feet on a stock wifi range extender with only using the booster app. So I figured, ok, if I use the booster app along with this Stage 2 setup, I should have very good FPV streaming within this range. Today I flew out to 3,000 feet and then the FPV started getting really grainy and experiencing video delays.. It wasn't smooth.. and worried me enough that I flew it back. I tried another time with the same results...

After flying with 5 batteries today, I noticed my range extender was at 20% battery power. I started at 100%. I've never depleted the battery this much on 5 battery use with the booster app. Therefore, I concluded that the two new antennas were putting an additional drain on the battery. Not a big deal, just a realization. Then I thought, I wonder if my long range antenna (the 9dBi half sphere helix) is actually under performing over the stock configuration since I now have two higher gain antennas hanging off the same power source with no additional amplification. I'm actually considering going back to a stock wifi range extender after this experience. If someone like Tizz110 is routinely getting 10,000 with a stock wifi extender and booster app, I'm not sure how I'm benefiting from putting these additional bulky antennas on my range extender...

Your thoughts??

p.s. I'm using the latest firmware and version app...

srandall25 said:
Anyone using FPVLR Stage 2 (pinwheel & half sphere antenna) with the wifi range extender and FPV booster app? I tested this setup for the first time today and left a little confused... Here is why...

Tizz110 who has a lot of long distance flying experience informed me that he routinely achieves around 10,000 feet on a stock wifi range extender with only using the booster app. So I figured, ok, if I use the booster app along with this Stage 2 setup, I should have very good FPV streaming within this range. Today I flew out to 3,000 feet and then the FPV started getting really grainy and experiencing video delays.. It wasn't smooth.. and worried me enough that I flew it back. I tried another time with the same results...

After flying with 5 batteries today, I noticed my range extender was at 20% battery power. I started at 100%. I've never depleted the battery this much on 5 battery use with the booster app. Therefore, I concluded that the two new antennas were putting an additional drain on the battery. Not a big deal, just a realization. Then I thought, I wonder if my long range antenna (the 9dBi half sphere helix) is actually under performing over the stock configuration since I now have two higher gain antennas hanging off the same power source with no additional amplification. I'm actually considering going back to a stock wifi range extender after this experience. If someone like Tizz110 is routinely getting 10,000 with a stock wifi extender and booster app, I'm not sure how I'm benefiting from putting these additional bulky antennas on my range extender...

Your thoughts??

ahhh..yes, you are experiencing the same issue I had when I installed my full disk helix on my old Phantom Vision. The issue here is mixing of antennas. The helix antennas are LHCP 2.4ghz (left hand circular polarization) while the stock phantom wifi antennas are linearly polarized, thus creating a mismatch. Your best bet at this point is to either add LHCP pinwheel antennas to the phantom to match the helix or go back to the stock extender antennas.

srandall25 said:

Your thoughts??

I suggest to test your antenna mod without using booster app in open area, and identify the issue.

FYI, our booster app does not boost RE, and your antenna mod should not drain extra battery. You may try to swap 2 pigtails connecting to antennas. I suspect you might get bad pigtail cables.

PVFlyer said:
srandall25 said:

Your thoughts??

I suggest to test your antenna mod without using booster app in open area, and identify the issue.

FYI, our booster app does not boost RE, and your antenna mod should not drain extra battery. You may try to swap 2 pigtails connecting to antennas. I suspect you might get bad pigtail cables.
How rare is it to have a bad pigtail ? They look and feel solid... If they were bad, would I have still achieved 3000 ft?

I would ask Tony on the fpvlr thread. I remember reading about some low quality pigtails.

srandall25 said:
Mori55 said:
I would ask Tony on the fpvlr thread. I remember easing about some low quality pigtails.
cool, thanks. just sent him a PM...

what color are your pigtails? I highly doubt it's a pigtail issue because you are still getting 3,000 feet. if it were a pigtail issue, he wouldn't get that far, IMO. This is simply the case of mismatched antennas.

tizzl10 said:
srandall25 said:
Mori55 said:
I would ask Tony on the fpvlr thread. I remember easing about some low quality pigtails.

what color are your pigtails? I highly doubt it's a pigtail issue because you are still getting 3,000 feet. if it were a pigtail issue, he wouldn't get that far, IMO. This is simply the case of mismatched antennas.
What color? you're talking the end that connects to the board right? it was a gold plated connector.

no, the color of the pigtail wire itself.

the reason I ask is because the thin, black ones are crap..the thicker pink ones are the good ones.

tizzl10 said:
no, the color of the pigtail wire itself.

the reason I ask is because the thin, black ones are crap..the thicker pink ones are the good ones.
like a pinkish color i guess...

tizzl10 said:
srandall25 said:
Mori55 said:

I suspect this because if the pinwheel pigtail work but 9dbi helical pigtail not working, then 3000ft is reasonable. Thus I suggest to swap 2 antennas for easy testing.

tizzl10 said:
srandall25 said:

Your thoughts??

ahhh..yes, you are experiencing the same issue I had when I installed my full disk helix on my old Phantom Vision. The issue here is mixing of antennas. The helix antennas are LHCP 2.4ghz (left hand circular polarization) while the stock phantom wifi antennas are linearly polarized, thus creating a mismatch. Your best bet at this point is to either add LHCP pinwheel antennas to the phantom to match the helix or go back to the stock extender antennas.

No doubt tizzl10 is right on the money with this one. I know because I made the same mistake as you did. Match that antenna up since you've went this far. And if you really want to get trick take your setup to where all your local R/C fliers hangout at and ask if any of them can test your swr. If it is even a little high offer to pay the guy to improve it for you. High, or higher swr is a major killer in performance.

Does it make sense that this antenna mismatch would still under-perform than the stock extender with booster app? I would have thought that even with the antenna mismatch, my 9dBi Sphere Helix with booster app would perform better than the stock extender w/booster app...

srandall25 said:
Does it make sense that this antenna mismatch would still under-perform than the stock extender with booster app? I would have thought that even with the antenna mismatch, my 9dBi Sphere Helix with booster app would perform better than the stock extender w/booster app...

this video illustrates the difference in waveform of both the linear and circular polarizations.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qrU4nprB0[/youtube]

see the mismatch?

I don't see it as a problem with the Vision and Vision+ as they have left hand polarized patch antennas for their WiFi video link. The helical which was made left hand to match Visions should be fine. Even if it were not, there is only a 3db loss between circular to linear antennas if the Vision was linear polarized which I'm pretty sure it's not.

The only really bad mismatch is between right hand and left hand circulars and between vertical and horizontal linear polarized antennas, something to avoid at all costs.

I vote for a bad pigtail or noisy RF enviornment in your area.

The 5.8Ghz is linear polarized so many of us have changed the TX to a RPSMA connector as well and added an 11db linear patch which seems to work great and is very compact.

RemE said:
I don't see it as a problem with the Vision and Vision+ as they have left hand polarized patch antennas for their WiFi video link. The helical which was made left hand to match Visions should be fine. Even if it were not, there is only a 3db loss between circular to linear antennas if the Vision was linear polarized which I'm pretty sure it's not.

The only really bad mismatch is between right hand and left hand circulars and between vertical and horizontal linear polarized antennas, something to avoid at all costs.

The 5.8Ghz is linear polarized so many of us have changed the TX to a RPSMA connector as well and added an 11db linear patch which seems to work great and is very compact.

I beg to differ..do you have this setup? what are your wifi ranges?

tizzl10 said:
RemE said:

I beg to differ..do you have this setup? what are your wifi ranges?

Differ about what? FPVLR and PVFlyer are experts, I'd listen to them on what is in the Visions. I use the booster app in a very noisy urban wifi enviornment with the stock extender on the V+, Stock is lucky to get 1000ft here, boosted allows me to venture further than I dare in this area.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn