Found a missing e-clip during a pre-flight check

Reaction score
I was about to take my P2V out for a spin and during my normal pre flight check I found one of the motors had
a good bot of vertical play. (meaning that if I gently pulled up on the housing it would travel a good 4mm where as the others only traveled 1 or 2mm)

I will bet that the E clip and washer has come off. I shook the craft to see if I could hear it rattling about but no.
Thankfully I did this check before installing the battery.

I have looked every where for replacement bearings and e-clips but can't find any.
I am located in Raleigh NC so I would prefer to get replacements from the states is possible.

73's DE KG4MXV

You might want to check your local hobby shop for a replacement clip. Otherwise e-bay has bearing sets for like $20 which include the clips. Boca Bearings apparently makes good upgrades.

Thanks everyone!
There is a nice hobby shop near where I am working in the big town of Warrenton VA Woo Hoo!

UPDATE:

Normally if you pull up on a rotor of a motor and it has play , The E-clip is more than likely the culprit.

Not in this case.
When I received the kit with bearings , washers , E-clips I started the teardown of the P2V and found that the
E-Clip was still firmly attached to the armature and the washer was intact but the armature was sticking out of the motor by 3mm
giving the 2mm+ play in the rotor.
I thought oh crap the armature has pulled out of the rotor.
I inspected the rotor and found a set screw! :D
I checked it and it was loose. :eek:

So i placed the motor with the armature onto of my allen wrench set and used the handle of my screwdriver to gently tap down
the rotor until it had the same gap as the other motors.
Then I put some lock tight on the thread of the set screw and torqued it down.
Now no more play in the rotor.
and it spins just like the others.

Tomorrow I plan on doing a stress test of the motors with a 5 lib pice of copper buss bar placed across the landing skids.
For 5 minutes and use my Thermal image camera to see if that motor is at the same temp as the others and then I will
be happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 417

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl