Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

I am solidly in the camp that thinks the test is a good idea. All we need is for someone to be seriously injured by someone not following what are sensible rules. That will lead to real legislation and enforcement. We do all have to pass tests to do everyday things if there is a danger of hurting others - think car driving, the bar for lawyers, licensing for beauticians etc

If it helps to raise awareness of basic safety then it's achieved something. It's easy to forget that most people reading and posting on this forum are, almost by definition, far more aware of this stuff than the average DJI recreational pilot. And that's a disturbing thought, given the remarkable lack of understanding displayed by many in these discussions.

Reactions: Myetkt
Did anyone think that in just over 3 weeks there are going to be a zillion more people (a lot being kids) with their new Xmas toy anxious to run out and fly before they read or understand anything about what they are doing. Like sar104 said a little basic safety and understanding doesn’t seem like a big deal. And definitely not as big a deal as some are making out.

Reactions: BigAl07
Are you a sheep?

My Dude if your such a pro flyer that you don't need to take the test you should ace it in less than a minute... don't you think it would be just a little easier to complete it and not be a little [Language Removed] on a forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the test appears as soon as you connect to the aircraft - not after motor start - so that's not really an issue.
Thanks for the clarification, but the last thing I need when ready to launch before sunset is to take a DJI imposed silly test, which still uses up battery time, and delays my impending flight, as the light is dying by the minute! DJI should find some other way to impose their silly test!

Thanks for the clarification, but the last thing I need when ready to launch before sunset is to take a DJI imposed silly test, which still uses up battery time, and delays my impending flight, as the light is dying by the minute! DJI should find some other way to impose their silly test!

Right - but you only have to complete it once, and there's no reason to wait until you go out to fly.

Right - but you only have to complete it once, and there's no reason to wait until you go out to fly.
That's not what I have heard. If true, that does make it less intrusive. I haven't updated yet to experience it first hand. Is there some way to trigger it manually, so you don't trip over it when you least expect it?

That's not what I have heard. If true, that does make it less intrusive. I haven't updated yet to experience it first hand. Is there some way to trigger it manually, so you don't trip over it when you least expect it?
They give you four chances to skip it, so you can do it at a time that suits you rather than just when you are about to launch.

They give you four chances to skip it, so you can do it at a time that suits you rather than just when you are about to launch.
Thanks. Does it appear more than once, after you have successfully "passed" it?

It is just the next step from watching over your shoulder to having their hand up your backside.
A lot of "bootlickers" want this and want more, more, more control, more, more, more cooperation from authority, more licenses, more yearly fees, more restrictions, more Geo fencing, more more more until you are backed in to a tiny corner thinking WTF happened to the Hobby, it was only a flying toy and authority only became interested when they fitted cameras and better cameras results in more authority wanting this hobby shut down.

Pandering and waltzing with authority has never and never will work.
Hence why other hobbies have defense clubs, or member associations, so they stand as one, harder to push around a couple of million people than it is one.

As for DJI now setting new ways to help authority ban this hobby, I can only think they must be reading all the bootlicker comments on here thinking "hey this is what they want".

Reactions: Capn Dave
DJI want's the hobby banned by helping authorities?

If that's your contention please explain as it would seem that would be bad for business.

DJI want's the hobby banned by helping authorities?

If that's your contention please explain as it would seem that would be bad for business.
You wrote those words not me, sorry but paraphrasing and quoting edited passages out of context and then asking me to explain ?
Sorry, but no,.

... it was only a flying toy and authority only became interested when they fitted cameras and better cameras results in more authority wanting this hobby shut down.

Can you link to this, ahem, fact?

I've had cameras on many of my r/c aircraft for decades. No one cared.

Reactions: Myetkt
So Godwin’s Law is used to minimize a point because Hitler's name was used.

No, it's not used to minimize but to illustrate or describe an attempt to invalidate one's position on the basis that the same view was held by AH.

All what data?
DJI don't collect all your data, videos and still images.
They only get your flight data if you choose to upload it to their cloud.
Even if they could somehow collect everything, the military value of all the videos and flight data would be zero anyway.
The obvious thing they do with flight data is assess warranty claims to determine the cause of an incident.

You are very naive my friend. Military value zero? They now have access to every flight log and photos and videos ever uploaded. China is a Communist country. Why would they not use the information?

Reactions: v8juice
You are very naive my friend. Military value zero? They now have access to every flight log and photos and videos ever uploaded. China is a Communist country. Why would they not use the information?
How many times has this been mentioned and ignored. They think our government is over reacting. I really don't understand how they know more than the government. They keep coming back so sure of themselves. Maybe they are paid by DJI. I just don't know.

How many times has this been mentioned and ignored. They think our government is over reacting. I really don't understand how they know more than the government. They keep coming back so sure of themselves. Maybe they are paid by DJI. I just don't know.

If you sync your flights then telemetry and thumbnail images are stored on the DJI servers. The transmitted data are encrypted, but fairly detailed testing has shown that the amount of data uploaded is too small to include video or large image files. However, that alone was enough to concern several goverment agencies.

If you don't sync flights then there is no evidence that any data are transmitted. However, lingering concerns over that are what led to DJI producing their new Pilot app with "silent mode". That's still under evaluation.

Reactions: Meta4
Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!
I didn't have to take a test the last time I bought a firearm either. Seems to me that there are more pressing things that you should have to take a test for.

If you sync your flights then telemetry and thumbnail images are stored on the DJI servers. The transmitted data are encrypted, but fairly detailed testing has shown that the amount of data uploaded is too small to include video or large image files. However, that alone was enough to concern several goverment agencies.

If you don't sync flights then there is no evidence that any data are transmitted. However, lingering concerns over that are what led to DJI producing their new Pilot app with "silent mode". That's still under evaluation.

Thank you for that explanation. I do appreciate your more detailed insight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart